sparring

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
What are the kicks you use the most doing sparring?

I use pichagui, dolyo chagui, yop chagui and ti chagui (roundhouse, high round house, side and back kicks), I do not use cresent kicks because I am to sloow to do them, some times I use furyo chagui (hook kick) as a feint, I mean I do the hook kick but inmediately do the round kick ala Bill Wallace, sometimes with some sucess cause when my oponent see my hook kick coming he lay his head and then when he wants to counter my foot is there to smack him in the face, I can take off balance my oponent with this kick one of every 4 or 5 intents.

My favorite combo is round house kick followed by a back kick.

Manny

jthomas1600

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Man, I was just thinking about this when I opened this section of MartialTlak. Pretty funny actually.

It depends on what I'm trying to get out of sparring and who my opponent is. Some times I challenge myself to throw as many spinning and athletically based kicks (like the tornado kick) as I can just to challenge myself. If I'm fighting an equally skilled opponent I will loose when I challenge myself today that but I figure your not going to grow much as a fighter if you never try to incorporate new/different techniques.

When I'm trying to be competitive I keep it really simple like you Manny. At our school it seems a lot of people approach sparring as a round house kick competition. I've found that taking a back stance and countering with a lead leg side kick is very effective for me, it usually gets them right in the bread basket when they're about half way home with the round house kick they're trying to land. I also like to feint low with a rear leg round house and then whip it up high. It's funny to me how well that works because my feint is practically aimed at the ankle, but it still seems to surprise people when my foot ends up along side their head. I also like a lead leg skipping round house kick. I can not get a lot of power in that, but from the stand point of making contact it's pretty effect. I guess it's sort of like my jab.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm a fairly meat and potatoes guy with sparring. Apchagi, dolyo chagi, yopchagi, and jjik-gi (axe kick; seen numerous names, but that is what my instructor calls it) with the occasional girugi (straight punch) used in different combos. I do use other kicks, but those are definitely the ones that I use the most.

Daniel

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Man, I was just thinking about this when I opened this section of MartialTlak. Pretty funny actually.

It depends on what I'm trying to get out of sparring and who my opponent is. Some times I challenge myself to throw as many spinning and athletically based kicks (like the tornado kick) as I can just to challenge myself. If I'm fighting an equally skilled opponent I will loose when I challenge myself today that but I figure your not going to grow much as a fighter if you never try to incorporate new/different techniques.

When I'm trying to be competitive I keep it really simple like you Manny. At our school it seems a lot of people approach sparring as a round house kick competition. I've found that taking a back stance and countering with a lead leg side kick is very effective for me, it usually gets them right in the bread basket when they're about half way home with the round house kick they're trying to land. I also like to feint low with a rear leg round house and then whip it up high. It's funny to me how well that works because my feint is practically aimed at the ankle, but it still seems to surprise people when my foot ends up along side their head. I also like a lead leg skipping round house kick. I can not get a lot of power in that, but from the stand point of making contact it's pretty effect. I guess it's sort of like my jab.

I am not used to use thelead leg kick, always all my kicks are from the rear leg no matrer right or left guard.

I know usin the leading leg can be pretty fast however for me this kind of kicks have not the power that generates the rear leg.

Manny

jthomas1600

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am not used to use thelead leg kick, always all my kicks are from the rear leg no matrer right or left guard.

I know usin the leading leg can be pretty fast however for me this kind of kicks have not the power that generates the rear leg.

Manny

I completely agree with you. Like I said, the lead roundhouse I use is sort of like a jab. It scores points (if that's what you're playing) but also sets up other things. The lead side kick I mentioned doesn't develop much power either, but it doesn't really need a ton of power to be effective because I'm catching my opponent right in the gut as he is on one leg in the middle of a kick coming towards me.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I like the front snap kick off the lead leg because it's fast. The other one I like is the pushkick and if he evades it rotate with a roundhouse or a spin hook kick, depending on which way he goes. I've spent a lot of time lately using big power kicks to lead and following up with a roundhouse kick or a spin hook kick if I miss. No one expects a pushkick to start a combo. I also use tornado kicks more than most people.

I'm also a fan of forcing an open stance. Not because I particularly like it, but because not many others do and it works for me.

All that said, my rear leg roundhouse is the bread and butter of my game, particularly as a headshot.

Last edited:

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I try to make sure that at least 50% of my strikes are punches, usually uppercut, straight punch or hook punch. Kicks I like to use are axe, roundhouse, heaps of sidekicks, turning back and front kick. I like to use all kicks at one stage or another so I stay profficient with them, but mainly stick to the ones I just mentioned.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Within our dojang, I don't care about points. I view sparring as a chance to practice techniques in something that resembles a fight. So I make it a point not to stick to the basics, or to use the same kicks. I make it a particular point to use the kicks that I feel are my weakest. I also use more hand strikes than most, and will throw elbows and knees (we don't score them, but I'll throw them without contact just for the practice).

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Within our dojang, I don't care about points. I view sparring as a chance to practice techniques in something that resembles a fight. So I make it a point not to stick to the basics, or to use the same kicks. I make it a particular point to use the kicks that I feel are my weakest. I also use more hand strikes than most, and will throw elbows and knees (we don't score them, but I'll throw them without contact just for the practice).
Sounds very similar to the way we spar. I've lost count how many times Ive heard my instructor say "this might score you a point in point sparring, but we dont score points here, we fight". We recognise that sparring and fighting are 2 very different things but try to put a very realistic flavour to our sparring, basically we are trying to knock our opponent down, not score points on them.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

Try turning your hip over instead of snapping your kick from the knee only, especially roundhouse. We train to fold people with our front leg roundhouse, whether moving forward or standing still.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds very similar to the way we spar. I've lost count how many times Ive heard my instructor say "this might score you a point in point sparring, but we dont score points here, we fight". We recognise that sparring and fighting are 2 very different things but try to put a very realistic flavour to our sparring, basically we are trying to knock our opponent down, not score points on them.

What is the level of contact of sparring in your school?

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
If padded up, full contact. Without pads, light contact for coloured belts, medium for black belt and above. If we are doing a serious sparring class we are always padded up.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
If padded up, full contact. Without pads, light contact for coloured belts, medium for black belt and above. If we are doing a serious sparring class we are always padded up.

Padded up means hogu, helmet, shin, forearm, cup? What is the level of contact to the face? Can you leg kick, sweep, joint lock, throw? I'm trying to picture your sparring in my mind.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Padded up means hogu, helmet, shin, forearm, cup? What is the level of contact to the face? Can you leg kick, sweep, joint lock, throw? I'm trying to picture your sparring in my mind.
padding up at our club means shin and instep guards, hogu, boxing gloves and mouthguard are compulsory and if you wish to wear headgear, arm guards, cup you can but not compulsory. We generally spar using the WTF ruleset, but mix it up occasionally with things like no kicks allowed/punching only or changing the legal contact areas etc but this is usually reserved for black belt class where we try different things. Full contact is hard, you can kick or punch as hard as you wish to the target areas. I went and watched the club championships last year where we had 'point sparring' with full olympic style rules. After about an hour of matches the corner judges stopped proceedings and had to call all competitors in and explain how to score points because it was just like watching 2 guys in a bar room brawl beating the absolute crap out of each other. None of the students actually understood the strategy of how to spar going for points, it was hillarious.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
padding up at our club means shin and instep guards, hogu, boxing gloves and mouthguard are compulsory and if you wish to wear headgear, arm guards, cup you can but not compulsory. We generally spar using the WTF ruleset, but mix it up occasionally with things like no kicks allowed/punching only or changing the legal contact areas etc but this is usually reserved for black belt class where we try different things. Full contact is hard, you can kick or punch as hard as you wish to the target areas. I went and watched the club championships last year where we had 'point sparring' with full olympic style rules. After about an hour of matches the corner judges stopped proceedings and had to call all competitors in and explain how to score points because it was just like watching 2 guys in a bar room brawl beating the absolute crap out of each other. None of the students actually understood the strategy of how to spar going for points, it was hillarious.

I think you are closer to the Kukkiwon than you may think. It is certainly would not be hard to cross you over. Just adjust the sparring a little, change your uniform to a v neck, and learn the taeguek poomsae. Couple years, max, if that.

And personally, I like barroom brawling. :)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Depends... for lower ranks and younger students it's fairly light. For higher ranks and adults, higher levels of contact are allowed.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think you are closer to the Kukkiwon than you may think. It is certainly would not be hard to cross you over. Just adjust the sparring a little, change your uniform to a v neck, and learn the taeguek poomsae. Couple years, max, if that.

And personally, I like barroom brawling. :)
If I started again at white belt wouldnt it also take a 'couple of years max?"

Latest Discussions