training

OP
R

ryo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
mostly because i had plenty of time and much of it was free and cheap.

spent probably a hundred bucks on survival books. For fun on weekends i would go treking through the woods with my back pack, knife and axe and shovel.

Dig holes and cover them and make traps. Make shelters. (i ended up going military if you haven't guessed). Did some hunting depending on what was in season and had access to a pool and lake so swimming.

The escrima was five bucks a class then. The gym was free. With wrestling we had the weight room at our school plus we got free gym memberships. So weight training didn't cost anything. Running only required good sneakers.

Heavy bag and weights at the house were only three hundred bucks or so. The weights bought second hand.

Much of it was keeping the current weight while building stamina and strength. That is why it is a blend of weight training and running. I weighed in around 160 to 170 lbs. then depending. Benched 240 lbs. Couldnt run for five miles but could jog it. For comparison i am 230 pounds now and am probably only a inch taller just under 6' 2".

It is the food that costs money. And without having the dough and the weight lifting and health food supplaments being expensive (and not common back then) the carnation and ensure type drinks were within my price range.

Much of it was to do with wrestling. Making your weight and being as strong and quick as possible.

You've done quite alot.

Wish everything was cheap over here :D, Yup the forest's amazing, i've camped out a few times. Food cooked on three stones in the wild tastes better than the regular kitchen. Some times it becomes a habit i still use a machete to clean a chicken an other meats :D .

Weight training an running seems quite promising so i'll work on that, till i get me an a good MA Instructor. Keeping fit till i can actually train will do quite well.

OP
R

ryo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ryo,

You are one enthusiastic dude. I appreciate that a lot but I tend to agree with what most of the people before me have stated. I also believe that other than just general conditioning, if you are practicing what you have seen on DVD's Utube Video's etc, you are going to miss so much of the information that is so subtle that it can not be seen by someone who has no experience. In my opinion unless your fundamentals are solid you will be practicing crap for the duration of the marathon these training sessions. I would much rather have 10 minutes with someone that knows and understands techniques, application, and theory than spin my wheels. Train smarter not harder.

Yup, that's why I'm gonna search for a qualified instructor an go from there. I'll train smarter from now on :). Thanx for the advice

Last edited:

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
I saw someone mention raw eggs: raw eggs or cooked eggs are equally easy to digest, and equally nutricious. No need to risk salmonella. But if you do want to consume raw eggs (sometimes you can't really avoid them) be sure to wash them beforehand. Not many people know this, but salmonella is usually on the outside of the egg.

OP
R

ryo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I saw someone mention raw eggs: raw eggs or cooked eggs are equally easy to digest, and equally nutricious. No need to risk salmonella. But if you do want to consume raw eggs (sometimes you can't really avoid them) be sure to wash them beforehand. Not many people know this, but salmonella is usually on the outside of the egg.

oh, didn't know that, well all my eggs are fried :D

bribrius

Green Belt
Reaction score
oh, didn't know that, well all my eggs are fried :D

get over it. just throw them in the blender with whatever else. Your going to train remember? suck it up.

okay, if you must wash them off first LOL!!!!!

in all seriousness. The thread seems kind of negative. I posted Just trying to offer you some encouragement. I am probably a novice compared to most of the posters here. There are people here that know a hell of a lot more than me. And I really can't fathom how you will continue to have this amount of time. I have kids, work, bills, i dont have that kind of time anymore.

But if you want to do it why not encourage you? I think most would suggest qualified instruction and i do as well. But short of having it you can train yourself. You won't get the techniques perfect. You will be missing most of the pieces. You won't know any real correct "art" but you sure can learn. You can put yourself through the drills, and be harder on yourself than many instructors. Many instructors are no where near as hard on students as you can be to yourself. Things are all about safety now and avoiding lawsuits.

And if you don't know it right, or dont have the technique or move right, it really comes down to how you can defend yourself. Does it work? And that is what i thought your primary goal was. You can train yourself to beat the crap out of alot of people both outside or those that train in a dojo. Especially since much of it appears watered down and are kind of "weekend warriors" mentality. It won't be pretty but you could knock the head off many that actually get real instruction. The level you can push yourself will easily surpass most of the training offered, at least that i see around. Question would be why do you want to and do you really have that kind of time...do you have the discipline?

i know i sure as hell dont anymore.

it really isn't for someone that is settled with family and responsibility...

I have known only a couple people that went that route as adults. One didn't have a family or kids. The other has a family and kids but doesn't support them. He basically doesn't hold a job and fights for money. And their frame of mind isn't like most of the people you are going to meet at a martial arts school. Definately not like most people you meet outside a martial arts school. Kinda of borderline lunatics but suppose it works. One doesn't even have any furniture he doesn't believe in it. sleeps on the floor. Not worth it to me, personally. I wouldn't want to live that way. choice is yours what you do and how far you want to take it.

That is why most probably go to class a couple times a week and put a few hours a week into training. They balance it with other things. They are well, normal.

i probably haven't helped much , but hey, i tried...:)

Latest Discussions