Training Options, Spread It Out Or Concentrate It More?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My comment wasn't directed at you, but specifically towards the person who called my style of teaching the style of an idiot.
Skribs, Iā€™m gonna offer you an apology for this. My original comment was not directed at you, I had no way of knowing that the teaching approach that I was commenting on was similar to your own. I do believe that it is easy to overload a beginner student and some schools do a better job at managing that issue than others, and obviously I am in no position to judge your teaching because Iā€™ve never witnessed it. At any rate, my derisive language was inappropriate and I can recognize that. I hope your teaching goes well and you and your school are able to bring your students up to a high level of skill and knowledge.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Skribs, Iā€™m gonna offer you an apology for this. My original comment was not directed at you, I had no way of knowing that the teaching approach that I was commenting on was similar to your own. I do believe that it is easy to overload a beginner student and some schools do a better job at managing that issue than others, and obviously I am in no position to judge your teaching because Iā€™ve never witnessed it. At any rate, my derisive language was inappropriate and I can recognize that. I hope your teaching goes well and you and your school are able to bring your students up to a high level of skill and knowledge.

Apology accepted.

There's a big difference between "that's not my style" and "you're an idiot if that's your style." I'm glad you can recognize that.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And yet you're saying someone who doesn't do it your way is an idiot...

If you would have said this earlier in the thread I'd have clicked "agree", but he has since apologized for that remark.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get that but just because something is new does not make it overload. It is only overload when there is too much new material.

I cannot see any sense in teaching material if there is no reasonable expectation that the student will remember how to do it when they wake up the next morning or when they return to their next class. In my opinion, that is the very definition of a poor teaching model.
On the first day, a true beginner has no context for the material. Their first few classes their brain is mostly creating context. So there will be little retention from the first class, and little skill development in the first few classes. For most new students, the best we can expect is a bit of rote memorization until their brain has some context. (Note this is regarding adult learners. The principle might be similar with a juvenile brain, but Iā€™m not as experienced or informed there.)

So, one approach is to focus on building that context as quickly as possible, so skill development can begin. That means thereā€™s no expectation of actual skill development from the earliest sessions. If it happens, thatā€™s a bonus. But the intent is to speed up overall skill development by building that cognitive context.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With ten kicks in my opinion you're spreading yourself too thin and somebody who tries using ten kicks could very well find themselves confused as to what kick to throw in any given situation. You don't want to have to think about what kick to use in a situation you just want to use it instinctively and if you try relying on ten different kicks you could easily run into that problem. A

I donā€™t think that is an actual problem once training gets past a certain point. Most styles I can think of have more than a few kicks they teach, yet many of them are able to compete without getting confused or resulting to conscious selection for each kick.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
On the first day, a true beginner has no context for the material. Their first few classes their brain is mostly creating context. So there will be little retention from the first class, and little skill development in the first few classes. For most new students, the best we can expect is a bit of rote memorization until their brain has some context. (Note this is regarding adult learners. The principle might be similar with a juvenile brain, but Iā€™m not as experienced or informed there.)

So, one approach is to focus on building that context as quickly as possible, so skill development can begin. That means thereā€™s no expectation of actual skill development from the earliest sessions. If it happens, thatā€™s a bonus. But the intent is to speed up overall skill development by building that cognitive context.
Well said.
I would say rote learning is easier for kids (juveniles). There is less rattling around in their head to muck up the learning process. Information is stored and processed more efficiently and of course recall is much better for younger folks.
I still enjoy and appreciate seeing someone (adults) go through the first several classes. Watching the information overload being process is priceless sometimes.

Latest Discussions