Can i do multiple martial arts at the same time???? Please help

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What about mead?
Depends on the mead. I've had some that was still honey sweet and had a kick that would kill a bear. A friend made it from his own honey that he harvested from his own apiary. I'd be a lush on that. The commercial meads I've tried all tasted like honey-flavored beaker cleaner.

I've also had Nalivka which I could become a lush on and a historic Flip which tasted like a delicious toasted marshmallow warm drink with a slight beery accompanying flavor. I understand why my ancestors liked Flip so much.

Hurricanes, daiquiris, margaritas (as long as they're not over-acoholled). etc. Pretty much anything that is pantie-waist. I even liked wine-coolers back in the day (I know, I know). Almost the only wines I like come with a screw-top and a Boones logo. If it's too manly, I'll just stick with Shirley Temples and Virgin Mary's (or hot tea in reality). :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Depends on the mead. I've had some that was still honey sweet and had a kick that would kill a bear. A friend made it from his own honey that he harvested from his own apiary. I'd be a lush on that. The commercial meads I've tried all tasted like honey-flavored beaker cleaner.

I've also had Nalivka which I could become a lush on and a historic Flip which tasted like a delicious toasted marshmallow warm drink with a slight beery accompanying flavor. I understand why my ancestors liked Flip so much.

Hurricanes, daiquiris, margaritas (as long as they're not over-acoholled). etc. Pretty much anything that is pantie-waist. I even liked wine-coolers back in the day (I know, I know). Almost the only wines I like come with a screw-top and a Boones logo. If it's too manly, I'll just stick with Shirley Temples and Virgin Mary's (or hot tea in reality). :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Would you care for another Zima? :)

I'm a fan of aquavit. I like the ones that lean toward pepper and citrus.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Zima's were too much like wine (or was it too beery? I forget.). I preferred the fruity ones more. Shame the government screwed them by quintupling the excise tax.

Like I said, my most manly drink is probably hard cider. I suppose Nalivka comes close but only because it's Russian and has a buttload of vodka. Flip sorta comes close too because it's a Colonial drink with both Rum and Beer (and a red-hot poker).

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm out in Ohio and I don't get that way very often but I appreciate the invite. :)

As for drinks, I only consume frufru sissy stuff. The manliest stuff I consume is hard cider. If a real man would drink it (whiskey, scotch, etc.) I probably won't. I don't even like beer. Basically, if it doesn't have an umbrella in it, I probably won't like it. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I am a fan of fruity drinks myself, I think you would be ok. I’ve got good scotch and bourbon but I never touch the stuff. Steve can have it.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Zima's were too much like wine (or was it too beery? I forget.). I preferred the fruity ones more. Shame the government screwed them by quintupling the excise tax.

Like I said, my most manly drink is probably hard cider. I suppose Nalivka comes close but only because it's Russian and has a buttload of vodka. Flip sorta comes close too because it's a Colonial drink with both Rum and Beer (and a red-hot poker).

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Some good friends of mine make killer hard cider.
I am a fan of fruity drinks myself, I think you would be ok. I’ve got good scotch and bourbon but I never touch the stuff. Steve can have it.
Gladly. But I will admit that I'm a little dubious of what someone who doesn't drink Scotch considers 'good'. What counts as good scotch and bourbon? To be clear, my standards are pretty low... but still... I HAVE standards. :D

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Zima? That’s malt liquor, ugh! Had enough of that in the 80s. St Ides 40oz. Can not be had for less than $1.09 in those days. It’s right up there with night train and mad dog 20/20.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Gladly. But I will admit that I'm a little dubious of what someone who doesn't drink Scotch considers 'good'. What counts as good scotch and bourbon? To be clear, my standards are pretty low... but still... I HAVE standards. :D
Ok I have Johnny Walker blue, Whistle pig rye, Johnny Walker platinum, Basil Hayden Bourbon, glenlivet 14, the maccallen 18. My wife likes these. The guy who owns Whistle pig is a friend of a friend. The owner of the Multnomah whiskey library is also a friend. Now, did I meet the standard?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Zima? That’s malt liquor, ugh! Had enough of that in the 80s. St Ides 40oz. Can not be had for less than $1.09 in those days. It’s right up there with night train and mad dog 20/20.
It was all Old English at Garfield HS where I mostly skipped school and hung out with my loser friends. At night school and summer school at Marshall High (where you end up when you mostly skip school), the Samoans always had Colt 45, which they were more than happy to share with me. I never bought the 40s, but would drink them if offered. If I were looking to score some beer myself, it was Lucky Lager, for some reason. Probably because it was cheap and I liked the little visual puzzles that were under the bottle cap.

Ah the memories of my misspent youth. I'm glad my kids weren't as screwed up as I was.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Ok I have Johnny Walker blue, Whistle pig rye, Johnny Walker platinum, Basil Hayden Bourbon, glenlivet 14, the maccallen 18. My wife likes these. The guy who owns Whistle pig is a friend of a friend. The owner of the Multnomah whiskey library is also a friend. Now, did I meet the standard?
He definitely meets my standards. The two of us can split the scotch while him and kirk have the fruity drinks. And I'll buy/bring the steaks as long as you all grill/sear/reverse sear/call god to smite the steaks.

Now, we just have to find a way to convince Kirk to make the trip...

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I approve. :D

I'm actually intrigued by the local stuff (Whistle Pig). I have nothing against the major distilleries, but like to buy local when I can. We have quite a few micro-distilleries around. I buy my aquavit from Scratch Distillery up in Edmonds, WA. They have a pretty good selection of gins, too (that's really what they're known for), but their lemon pepper Aquavit is really... really good.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
It was all Old English at Garfield HS where I mostly skipped school and hung out with my loser friends. At night school and summer school at Marshall High (where you end up when you mostly skip school), the Samoans always had Colt 45, which they were more than happy to share with me. I never bought the 40s, but would drink them if offered. If I were looking to score some beer myself, it was Lucky Lager, for some reason. Probably because it was cheap and I liked the little visual puzzles that were under the bottle cap.

Ah the memories of my misspent youth. I'm glad my kids weren't as screwed up as I was.
Garfield? Marshall? What city? Samoans? All this sounds very familiar. I went to Long Beach Polytechnic high school. Snoop was in my class and Cameron Diaz was a year behind me. Snoop put on our 30 year reunion after party. Slick Rick was there to perform amongst others.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I approve. :D

I'm actually intrigued by the local stuff (Whistle Pig). I have nothing against the major distilleries, but like to buy local when I can. We have quite a few micro-distilleries around. I buy my aquavit from Scratch Distillery up in Edmonds, WA. They have a pretty good selection of gins, too (that's really what they're known for), but their lemon pepper Aquavit is really... really good.
Man you gotta go to the Multnomah whiskey library. It’s in Portland. Plan for it, not cheap! Join as a temp. Member. That way you can get an actual reservation. The food is divine.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
He definitely meets my standards. The two of us can split the scotch while him and kirk have the fruity drinks. And I'll buy/bring the steaks as long as you all grill/sear/reverse sear/call god to smite the steaks.

Now, we just have to find a way to convince Kirk to make the trip...
What part of the world are you in?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Garfield? Marshall? What city? Samoans? All this sounds very familiar. I went to Long Beach Polytechnic high school. Snoop was in my class and Cameron Diaz was a year behind me. Snoop put on our 30 year reunion after party. Slick Rick was there to perform amongst others.
Seattle. Closest brush with fame (well, almost fame) I had was I was a dishwasher in a cafe with a guy named Chad Channing, who was the drummer at the time for Nirvana. Being in that area during the 80s was outstanding for local music.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well to anyone that sees this… thank you very much for all your replies I found them very helpful… I have decided not to start TKD, but am still on the look out for a possible 2nd art for when I get to a decent belt in karate (I will carry on karate as well as the other art)…. Any suggestions on what is a good style to add to karate???
Judo.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Karate is any punching and kicking art. When I went through a martial art, I always finished it up to black belt and then I approached another art. You should devote your time and effort to your art untill you reach black belt, and after that, then see about taking another martial art. One should devote learning all they want to learn from one art before going to another.
I can only tell you what I did and it worked out fine. I wound up teaching Tracy Kenpo at their studio for a while before I broke away and began learning Ed Parker Kenpo. I preferred Ed Parker techniques. But you should make your own choice and if it doesn't work out, go back to where you were.
Hope this helped.
Sifu
Puyallup, WA
Do you really think so? A black belt is a qualified beginner. I was 6th Dan Kendo, 5th Dan Iaido before I moved on to more Kenjutsu. The kendo bled into it. Battojutsu was never a problem with similar fundamentals.