Kick defence

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
This is exactly how I was taught to defend against high kickers. With this technique you can almost eliminate a TKD fighters best kicks. This is why they dont allow this technique in TKD fighting. Some styles just make this technique illeagal in there tournaments because it defeats there strategy. Watch for your opponent to get fancy on you, and throw out this technique. If they are a hard core high kicker, they will be in trouble. This is the first kick all beginning martial artists should learn. I would recommend practicing this kick only and its variations for at least a few months before trying to throw a kick above knee level.
This kick is good for beginners for alot of reasons, mostly because you dont need any flexibillity to throw this kick, and it wont take long to get good technique with a low kick. Alot of martial artists make the mistake on concentrating to much on high kicks when this one basic beginner technique can basicly eliminate all high kicks if done properly.
Concentrate on boxing skills!!! And this kick only!! And you will waste your compitition if they are not familiar with this strategy.

http://www.wmto.org/techniquefrontkickcounter.aspx

OP
DeLamar.J

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Another good technique is a low side kick to the supporting leg. I couldnt find a step by step pic so Ill explain it. It is done almost the same way as the above kick, exept you have to know how to properly prepare for a low side kick which doesnt take long to learn.
As they throw out a kick, preferably a high one which most fancy kicker types will, you throw out your side kick directly at the knee on the supporting leg, If you happen to catch it just right, you will knock there knee out of place. And keep your hands up darnet! Use hands to block hands and feet to block feet. If you have to, raise up your knee to block body blows, but keep your hands at your face. If the kick goes high, keep your hands up and kick the knee. This is the best defence for kicks. ALot of high kickers will try to get you to drop your hands by faking you with a front kick to the mid, then bringing the kick high, if this happens keep your gaurd up and just raise your knee to block, but dont under any circumstances,drop your hands from your face. The only time your face should be open is when your punching.
I can take a new student in one month, train them with good boxing skills and proper low kicks, and they will school other martial artists who have been training alot longer than them if there training is not very practicle.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, as a TKD fighter, I would never lead with a back leg kick. I would not be standing that close for the opponent to take out my standing leg. Besides when we do jumping kicks, our other leg is up any way, its not supporting. We aren't going to just "stand" there. hmmmm TW

OP
DeLamar.J

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
Well, as a TKD fighter, I would never lead with a back leg kick. I would not be standing that close for the opponent to take out my standing leg. Besides when we do jumping kicks, our other leg is up any way, its not supporting. We aren't going to just "stand" there. hmmmm TW
Sounds like your a good TKD fighter.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Ignorant opinions of Tae Kwon Do aside, these techniques can be useful against an opponent who likes to kick, provided you've got good timing.

It should be stated, however, that kicking directly to the knee can result in injury to your opponent, especially if you hit them there with a sidekick. Be careful when using those techniques on your training partners.

If you have to, raise up your knee to block body blows, but keep your hands at your face.

There are better ways to block a kick to your body than simply absorbing it with your leg or knee. This strategy can get you hurt if you're not careful. Sometimes the best way to protect your torso against a kick is to use one hand to sweep it out of the way, and keep the other hand guarding your head. Sometimes the best tactic is to evade the kick by stepping or swaying out of the way.

This is the best defence for kicks.

DeLamar, you do an awful lot of speaking in absolutes.

M

Mark Weiser

In Kenpo we are taught to avoid the attack. That is to mean in common terms do not stand there and take a kick.

EXAMPLE

Move to the 9 o'clock area into a Cat Stance. Using your right hand with a your hand bent at the wrist into a crane hand capture the kicking leg under the calf.

Kick into the groin with the right foot recock the leg and fire another kick with the right foot into the opponents left knee. Protecting your head with your right hand.

While setting the right foot down in the area of 1 o'clock with your left hand in a tiger claw rake the face forehead towards the chin bringing your left elbow into the crook of the right elbow causing a checking move of that right arm causing that arm downward.

With your right hand strike the the head or rib of the opponent.

Then with the right hand grab the right shoulder while bringing right foot towards 11 o'clock swing leg back towards left leg of opponent to about 5 o'clock go into a left forward bow facing 11 o'clock. This will cause the opponent to fall backwards.

While falling backwards to another head strike with left hand to the head/throat.

Just an Idea.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
Well, as a TKD fighter, I would never lead with a back leg kick. I would not be standing that close for the opponent to take out my standing leg.

Regardless if you'e kicking with the front or rear, if you're close enough to kick your opp. then isnt there the chance he can kick you??

Besides when we do jumping kicks, our other leg is up any way, its not supporting. We aren't going to just "stand" there. hmmmm TW

And the other person isnt going to be standing there either, right. Any time a jumping or spinning kick is done, unless its done quickly, it can be telegraphed.

Mike

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We block the kicks with the leg block. Seen a video on MT of a guy getting his leg broke after the guy blocked it with the knee. As for jumping and spinning type kicks, you are setting your self up for either a big throw or giving your back for a choke technique.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
MJS said:
Regardless if you'e kicking with the front or rear, if you're close enough to kick your opp. then isnt there the chance he can kick you??

I wouldn't lead an attack by getting in close and doing a high kick, rear or front. If I were to attack it would be with fakes, side moves and multiple kicks or punches. Lots of luck looking for my leg.

And the other person isnt going to be standing there either, right. Any time a jumping or spinning kick is done, unless its done quickly, it can be telegraphed.

Again the same as before, I wouldn't lead with a jumping spinning kick either. Actually, I'm defensive usually. Alot of times the person who first attacks has the disadvantage. In regards to telegraphing, its not that easy to see a jumpspin heel coming (not the wheel kick variety), when you are moving around alot and mixing it up with prior moves. I'm talking continuous sparring here. That's what we do in TKD. If it was self defense, it would be different. TW

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I should hope my kick is faster than my opponants kick if he/she is not TKD. Also, I do not throw kicks if My opponent can easily ounter my kicks. I think that most TKD fighters would agree that you have to set up a head kick and the opponent should be off balance or hesitating for one reason or another.

Not taking away from the technique. It is a good defense against a kick, but it is only useful sometimes and is not the only kick one should know.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's pointless to devolve into theoreticals. "If I kick high, but I do a side kick instead of a roundhouse against pictured situation..." It's clearly not 100% effective against high kicks because if it was, why would there be a picture of someone doing a *gasp* high kick on the same techniques page? Should be just as easy to shut down one high kick as it is another, right?

Yeah, didn't think so.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
DeLamar.J said:
This is exactly how I was taught to defend against high kickers. With this technique you can almost eliminate a TKD fighters best kicks.
This kick is good for beginners for alot of reasons, mostly because you dont need any flexibillity to throw this kick, and it wont take long to get good technique with a low kick. Alot of martial artists make the mistake on concentrating to much on high kicks when this one basic beginner technique can basicly eliminate all high kicks if done properly.

They don't allow this technique in TKD fighting because it isn't a TKD technique, TKD doesn't allow kicks thrown below the belt, and kicks to the leg are dangerous. This is a Muay Thai kicks designed for the Muay Thai ring. Every combat sport has its limitations.

It IS effective against high kicks, provided the person throwing it has good timing. Your statement "if done properly" is the key here. You also need a TKD fighter to cooperate a tad by allowing himself to be caught with it. This is a bread and butter Muay Thai kick, but we still find guys like Chai Sirisute teaching high kicks...and his students knock people out with them.

I strongly believe in cross training, but outside of an NHB context, I can't see any reason for arguing for this kick in countering a TKD kick (or any style's high kicks) other than trying to play off a style versus style argument. One isn't going to be attacked on the street by a person in a gi/dobok. We don't see high kicking black belted thugs conducting home invasions.

Regards,

Steve

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Zepp said:
There are better ways to block a kick to your body than simply absorbing it with your leg or knee. This strategy can get you hurt if you're not careful. Sometimes the best way to protect your torso against a kick is to use one hand to sweep it out of the way, and keep the other hand guarding your head. Sometimes the best tactic is to evade the kick by stepping or swaying out of the way.

Yes, you do need to know how to properly block with your leg. In addition, there are also stop kicks that will work just as good. As for blocking with the hand, yes, thats good too, but I've seen many people jam a finger or two by not having proper hand formation.

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
I wouldn't lead an attack by getting in close and doing a high kick, rear or front. If I were to attack it would be with fakes, side moves and multiple kicks or punches. Lots of luck looking for my leg.

Ok, thanks for the clairifcation. I was just going on what you said in your first post. As for the kicking....regardless of which leg is thrown, regardless of a high or low kick, the fact remains that anytime a kick is thrown, a transition in weight happens. Sure, if you're throwing mult. combos of punches, kicks, etc. it does make it harder to see, but not totally impossible.

Again the same as before, I wouldn't lead with a jumping spinning kick either. Actually, I'm defensive usually. Alot of times the person who first attacks has the disadvantage.

True, but then again, sometimes the best defense is a good offense.

In regards to telegraphing, its not that easy to see a jumpspin heel coming (not the wheel kick variety), when you are moving around alot and mixing it up with prior moves. I'm talking continuous sparring here. That's what we do in TKD. If it was self defense, it would be different. TW

Again, if someone can pull it off, thats fine. What works on one person may not work on another. Depending on how the other persons footwork is, that can determine what lands and what doesnt. I've fought people who always seem to go on the defense, and move straight back, and I've fought some who had excellent footwork, therefore making it harder to hit them.

Mike

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
MJS said:
I've fought people who always seem to go on the defense, and move straight back,

Moving straight back may be good to avoid a kick, but a counter has to come in, otherwise it just says you are vulnerable. Defense to me may be a fake or multiple fakes/movements to draw out your opponent to attack. Usually then when they are off balance/one leg and kicking, it is the best time to counterattack. Or you just wait until they come in to counter or move diagonally to counter. I hate it when both are defensive sparrers. It makes for a very dull match. But, if I know my opponent fears me, backs up, doesn't counter (and is a black belt) I am totally on the offense. So it all changes. I don't like being predictable at all. You know, us women. :D TW

ps. Gee, talking about this makes me miss sparring, got to get back to class.

OP
DeLamar.J

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Zepp said:
Ignorant opinions of Tae Kwon Do aside, these techniques can be useful against an opponent who likes to kick, provided you've got good timing.

It should be stated, however, that kicking directly to the knee can result in injury to your opponent, especially if you hit them there with a sidekick. Be careful when using those techniques on your training partners.

DeLamar, you do an awful lot of speaking in absolutes.
I like to absorb attacks, just slightly moving as they hit me, parrying them somewhat. I like to absorb because it gives you a good idea of how strong your opponent is, and rather or not they can be givin the run around strength wise. Sometimes it would be better to evade, but I guess that is all personal preference. If my opponent is very powerful, I will try to use more evasive manuvers, but I always absorb at first, it is a great way to feel out your opponents power and technique.
It is very good to feel your opponents power. That is part of my strategy at the beginning of a fight. Then you give them your best kick to the knee and see if they deal with it well, if not, then you have found an early weakness to exploit. If the are knowledgable in blocking low kicks, then I will test there boxing skills by simply gong in for the kill with all the power I have, If the opponent shows good defence and counter punches effectively then I back off, If they cannot handle my power then I have found another weakness to exploit. If they are handling my power well and know how to handle low kicks to the knee, then I will see if I hold the speed advantage by flicking the jab and wearing them down with fast attacks. This is a good way to get to know what your up against, if they pass all the tests then it all comes down to strategy, and your in for a great fight.
But I belive you should always test your opponents strength, and how they handle yours, test there conditioning by kicking there shins, and test there speed.

OP
DeLamar.J

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Marginal said:
It's pointless to devolve into theoreticals. "If I kick high, but I do a side kick instead of a roundhouse against pictured situation..." It's clearly not 100% effective against high kicks because if it was, why would there be a picture of someone doing a *gasp* high kick on the same techniques page? Should be just as easy to shut down one high kick as it is another, right?

Yeah, didn't think so.
Im not saying that one technique is effective 100% of the time. High kicks can be effective also if you have good enough technique strategy and speed to use them. I just teach this technique to beginners because it is the most effective kicking technique they can learn at first, and it is easy to learn. I just dont think a person should be throwing any kicks above the knee until they know how to deal with, and throw low kicks properly. Only once you realize how low attacks work, and how they can defeat high kicks, should you be throwing high kicks.
When a student has trained only in low kicking for months, has learned how to set them up properly, and how they can be used to defeat high kicks and to wear the opponent down, they will know how to high kick effectively because they have been the one learning how to counter the high kicks.
They will know what to look out for while high kicking, and how to set the kicks up properly to avoid there knee getting kicked, because they were the knee kickers for so long, they know what that strategy includes. Therefor they can counter it more effectively.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ouch, I wouldn't like to get kicked in the knees or shins. I suppose that is only for the most hardy. Both areas of the legs are vulnerable to injury.

DeLamar, is it Jason? I noticed that you do Goju Ryu, isn't that Karate? Do you always kick low while sparring? It sounds more like Muay Thai kickboxing somehow. In TKD, we don't spar to injure, though we do kick hard on the midsection with chestgear on. Just wondered what Goju Ryu is like. I think the other black belt in our class said he had 2nd dan from that discipline. TW

OP
DeLamar.J

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Han-Mi said:
I should hope my kick is faster than my opponants kick if he/she is not TKD. Also, I do not throw kicks if My opponent can easily ounter my kicks. I think that most TKD fighters would agree that you have to set up a head kick and the opponent should be off balance or hesitating for one reason or another.

Not taking away from the technique. It is a good defense against a kick, but it is only useful sometimes and is not the only kick one should know.
I think low kicking techniques are they only kicking techniques a person should know, until they know how to do it properly should they move further to more advanced kicking techniques.

Latest Discussions