Traditional or MMA preference

What is your preference?

• A traditional discipline.

• A MMA discipline.

Results are only viewable after voting.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So it's semantics if I tell you what something is called or seen as here rather than just information? I think you also don't understand too is that when people here start with the semantics card it's seen as a hostile and negative answer to what someone was saying. A person makes a statement and another answers 'oh that's semantics' thats seen as insulting. It's like the teeenage 'whatever', not conducive to good discussion.

All I was doing was offering information on how MMA is seen here nothing more and I get attacked as if I were lying, complete with Wiki. I'm not saying other people aren't doing MMA, I was merely saying that here MMA is only the one thing and you have all taken it as an attack rather than an interesting piece of information. I don't feel inclined in the least to share information about my country or it's habits with people who attack you for telling them about it. It comes over as arrogant I'm afraid.

I seem to have gotten, unintentionally I might add, under your skin Tez3. This was certainly not my intention. I admit you have way more experience on MT than I do, but I have read the rules and alot of the forum posts on here. I have not read anywhere that "the semantics" card, as you put it, is an inflammatory remark. I did not mean it as a "teenage whatever" or an attack in the slightest, I was merely adding my opinion to you and Sgt's post.

I remember reading, when I first joined, a statement about assuming that the intent of what members post is good in nature. Certainly things can be misunderstood on here since it is only text, and one cannot see the person's face or hear the inflection in their voice.

Everyone is free to their opinion, which is a wonderful thing indeed! If you feel you were attacked, it is your right to feel that way. However, it was not my intent to attack you or any other MT member, and from reading Sgt's posts, they seem respectful as well.. .

OKAY, I'm done explaining myself, back to the OP ;)

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Since we are speaking of training preference of MMA vs. TMA.. .

For those who mix it up a bit, i.e. MMA, what "styles" do you mix? What do you find works best Standing? Clinching? On the ground?

I am very curious, since I have little to no experience on the ground.. . only in standing and the clinch.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I seem to have gotten, unintentionally I might add, under your skin Tez3. This was certainly not my intention. I admit you have way more experience on MT than I do, but I have read the rules and alot of the forum posts on here. I have not read anywhere that "the semantics" card, as you put it, is an inflammatory remark. I did not mean it as a "teenage whatever" or an attack in the slightest, I was merely adding my opinion to you and Sgt's post.

I remember reading, when I first joined, a statement about assuming that the intent of what members post is good in nature. Certainly things can be misunderstood on here since it is only text, and one cannot see the person's face or hear the inflection in their voice.

Everyone is free to their opinion, which is a wonderful thing indeed! If you feel you were attacked, it is your right to feel that way. However, it was not my intent to attack you or any other MT member, and from reading Sgt's posts, they seem respectful as well.. .

OKAY, I'm done explaining myself, back to the OP ;)

It has just occurred to me that when I say 'here' you do know I mean the UK not MT?
The use of the word 'semantics' here will start an argument most likely, it certainly did when I was at uni and when I'm explaining what MMA is I mean what it means to us, the Brits not what it means on MT? That's why I can't understand why you are all going on about semantics and why you all find it difficult to understand I don't know what you mean when you say 'MMA in a broader sense' because I have no experience of it as being anything other than the way its seen in this country.
It's as frustrating as hell because all I'm saying is that in the UK, MMA is the cage/ring fighting thing/style/art and if you do other martial arts together we call it cross training. Thats all I'm saying. To us it's black and white. It's the way we've label things, we know what we mean, If you training several martial arts together for fighting in competition it's MMA, if you train several martial arts for fun/SD/self developement its cross training. It's how we understand things here, I'm not saying it's the right way or the wrong way, it just is. So when someone says ' I do MMA' we ask about their fights, when they say they cross train, we ask what arts they do, how they train etc. If someone says they are a cagefighter we ignore them because we know they aren't any such thing, that's a fantasy label lol.
The reason I said that about what MMA is in this country is so that you'd know I had no experience of what MMA is to you instead I find my posts totally misunderstood. I was offering you an insight ( hoping to have that returned) into our culture not criticising or saying the way you do things was wrong. The conversation should have gone "over here in the UK, MMA is known just as fighting for competitions" Answer, "mmm that's interesting (or boring - up to you) here we think of it as ............

Instead of enlightening and on topic conversation I've been treated to lectures and dictionary definitions. You could have told me so much about how you train instead I got a headache, not a lot of fun after a 12 hour shift in blizzards.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It has just occurred to me that when I say 'here' you do know I mean the UK not MT?
The use of the word 'semantics' here will start an argument most likely, it certainly did when I was at uni and when I'm explaining what MMA is I mean what it means to us, the Brits not what it means on MT? That's why I can't understand why you are all going on about semantics and why you all find it difficult to understand I don't know what you mean when you say 'MMA in a broader sense' because I have no experience of it as being anything other than the way its seen in this country.
It's as frustrating as hell because all I'm saying is that in the UK, MMA is the cage/ring fighting thing/style/art and if you do other martial arts together we call it cross training. Thats all I'm saying. To us it's black and white. It's the way we've label things, we know what we mean, If you training several martial arts together for fighting in competition it's MMA, if you train several martial arts for fun/SD/self developement its cross training. It's how we understand things here, I'm not saying it's the right way or the wrong way, it just is. So when someone says ' I do MMA' we ask about their fights, when they say they cross train, we ask what arts they do, how they train etc. If someone says they are a cagefighter we ignore them because we know they aren't any such thing, that's a fantasy label lol.
The reason I said that about what MMA is in this country is so that you'd know I had no experience of what MMA is to you instead I find my posts totally misunderstood. I was offering you an insight ( hoping to have that returned) into our culture not criticising or saying the way you do things was wrong. The conversation should have gone "over here in the UK, MMA is known just as fighting for competitions" Answer, "mmm that's interesting (or boring - up to you) here we think of it as ............

Instead of enlightening and on topic conversation I've been treated to lectures and dictionary definitions. You could have told me so much about how you train instead I got a headache, not a lot of fun after a 12 hour shift in blizzards.

Okay, I hear what you're saying ;) To keep it on topic, what styles to you blend in your MMA? As I posted previously, I have very little experience on the ground. I know just about everyone in MMA around these parts practice BJJ, but honestly I know very little about it. What do you use standing and in clench? I honestly have learned in this thread alone, that there is much more to cage fighting MMA than you see on the television. I would gladly put the misunderstanding behind us in order to get to the more interesting, more important, and certainly more fun subject.. .

Personally, I've never stepped into a cage. I'm a doc and I can't afford to break a hand or finger, as my hands are my livelihood. I get heat from my wife everytime I even break concrete with my hands, HAHA! I have fought in full contact stand up fights, but never anything that involved grappling. I am traditionally trained in Moo Duk Kwan (TKD/TSD) for the past 24 years. I have "cross trained" in Shorei Ryu, Kung Fu (only for staff fighting), Bando, and kajukenbo. My cross training really just boiled down to working out with friends who were in these arts. I've never taken any formal classes outside of the Moo Duk Kwan, but I've learned alot from training with other martial artists and incorporated techniques I've found that work into my own style. To be honest, I'm not exactly sure what category this fits into anywhere (although I'm now aware that in the UK it is most definitely cross training!).

As far as spectating is concerned, I don't really enjoy watching the ground fighting, which is probably why I know so little about that aspect of fighting. I would very much like to learn more, but it doesn't make it any more entertaining watching two guys in tights man handling each other on the ground (again, my personal opinion, no offense meant in that).

There are a couple of local MMA fighters that are considering coming in to our training hall to learn more about the kicking aspect of cagefighting. I'm really excited about this, since it opens an opportunity to "cross train" with some grapplers, at the same time passing on my art of head kicking ;)

Okay, I'll stop rambling, *tag* you're it.. . hehe

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For standup most of us are TMA people lol, we use karate, TKD and MT. there'll be Aikido,CMA and anything else we can use in there too. fighters here will travel around to train with different people here and we have quite a few seminars. Neil Adams probably one of the best Judokas in the world has seminars for MMA fighters which are fantastic.fighters like Ian Freeman (UFC) and Rosi Sexton (Bodog) will also have training sessions for people. We are sponsored by Fairtex so get to send people out to Thailand and all they pay is their fairs.
For ground work it's BJJ and Judo. It's like physical chess and once you know what to look for it's engrossing. I don't know if you play pool or snooker? It's like that, you are working a couple of moves ahead, planning out how to get that submission. You do one move knowing it will take your opponent into a certain position which will allow you to do another move, if get out of it you have you next move already planned.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3vY...800B17E0&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=50

Leigh fought Genki Sudo in the first UFC in London, Jean is Brazilian, I have to say there is no friendship between these two, they've have a couple of rematches. The ref is Grant Waterman, a kickboxer who has also competed in MMA way back in the day.

I'd like to point out that Leigh has a first class honours degree in electrical engineering, his day job and Grant is a prof at Portsmouth University, I know many think that MMA is for uneducated thugs but they are the norm here. Here's Leigh teaching

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions