Ki/Chi Energy?

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was brought up in another thread. I have heard/read about ki but we don't practice any kind of meditation in our dojang. However, I very much believe I have witnessed a presence of an unusual level of this power/energy in certain individuals particularly my master/instructor. Its not about the strength of your muscles, its not about technique except those are tools of the mind. I would like to keep an open mind about this. If you close it before you investigate, if there is something to it, it can never enter your thoughts and you can never possibly gain from what you learn. I believe the mind has power over the body that most cannot harness except through training. My master would say this power that I perceived comes from God. I really don't know how he achieved it. Any experience with this, witnessing this energy in others or viewpoints about its legitimacy?

This is an article in Blackbelt Mag. on Ki Energy:
or you can go directly: http://www.blackbeltmag.com/archives/blackbelt/1999/feb99/ene.html

Ki Energy
The Universal Life Force Everyone Talks About But Few Understand
by Doug Cook

Karate experts like Fumio Demura can attest to the way in which a ki-channeling shout can augment the power of a punch.
Central to any study of Western medicine and the associated life sciences is a deep understanding, of the various elements that make up the human body. Medical students are taught early on about the bio-systems that transport blood to the cells, oxygen from the lungs and nerve impulses to the brain. But their professors reveal little, if anything, about the mysterious system of meridians and acupoints that run through the body. This system is thought to channel the vital life force known as ki in Korea and Japan and as chi in China.
First mention of ki theory can be traced back to the birth of traditional Chinese medicine during the reign of the Yellow Emperor, Huang Di (2697 B.C.-2597 B.C.). It was during this period that Huang Di authored Nei Jing Su Wen, or Classic on Internal Medicine, which formed the basis for Chinese medical practice.
In his exceptional text Ki: A Practical Guide for Westerners, William Reed, a disciple of Koichi Tohei, defines ki as "Universal energy, capable of infinite expansion and contraction, which can be directed but not contained by the mind." Fa Xiang Hou of the Qi Gong Research Society contends that, "Chi flows through all living things, circulating among the organs, and is composed of both yin and yang forces." In
noting the universal nature of this vital life force, Richard Chun, a worldwide pioneer and practitioner of traditional taekwondo, states that, "Ki is the cosmic ocean in which everything exists."

A strong kihap activates the body's ki energy in such a way that kicks and punches are amplified. For illustrative purposes, Herb Perez (left) and Kevin Padilla are shown sparring.

These explanations, although oddly similar to those found in modern Christianity when describing the human soul, may appear to Occidentals as somewhat metaphysical in nature. In spite of this, there are those in the West who have become intimately familiar with ki through the practice of the Chinese discipline of tai chi chuan. It is reputed that Zhang San-Feng developed the principles of tai chi on Wudang mountain, located in the south of China's Hubei province, during the Song dynasty (960-1280). By performing a series of long and short patterns, similar to taekwondo poom sae or karate kata, practitioners of this demanding Taoist style strive to manipulate the flow of what essentially can be referred to as the essence of life. Aikido, the popular Japanese martial art derived from daito-ryu aikijujutsu, also encourages ki development since its main emphasis is on blending with an opponent's attack, thus effectively turning the aggressor's negative ki against him. On a more therapeutic level, the widespread acceptance of acupuncture and the attention it has gained as a supplement to conventional medicine have lent additional credibility to the ki-bearing meridian system. By the well-placed insertion of needles, the acupuncturist treats illness by affecting the various acupoints stationed throughout the body.

Invisible Evidence

Ki development can have a beneficial effect on people from all walks of life. Clearly, martial artists do not hold a monopoly on the vital life force or its refinement. On the contrary, ki flows through all living things-from the microscopic, single-celled ameba on up the food chain to the most glorious and complex life form of all, human beings. Still, unlike the circulatory, respiratory or nervous system, definitive evidence of ki has yet to be satisfactorily uncovered in the laboratory. If clinical data confirming this elusive system is currently unavailable, how then can we be certain it exists? Efforts to measure the presence of ki continue. Although currents closely following the body's internal network of meridians have been electronically detected and human auras surrounding the body have been captured on film, skepticism about the existence of this bioelectric system continues to prevail.
Be that as it may, practitioners of traditional Chinese medicine have been treating patients for centuries by manipulating ki through the use of herbs, acupuncture and massage. While physicians in the West have historically relied on medications such as antibiotics to remedy illness, Eastern medical doctrine has chosen instead to avoid sickness by maintaining a correct balance of the vital life force that exists within the body. The importance of this statement becomes abundantly clear when one accepts the fact that pain and illness occur as a function of ki blockages or imbalances.
Knowing this, ki equilibrium can be arrived at in a variety of ways. However, of the several methods available, including meditation and deep breathing, chi kung exercise and therapy is at the forefront. More than 3,000 years old, chi kung promotes health and longevity through the performance of a series of exercises designed to provide an innate sense of well-being and physical fitness. Under the guidance of a master, the practitioner learns to move, circulate and manipulate ki throughout the body over a series of channels or meridians. In addition, chi kung therapy utilizes body work, acupuncture and herbal medicines to stimulate a healthy flow of ki. These procedures ultimately result in a more responsive immune system, overall good health and increased longevity for the patient.
In an article titled "Milestones in the Chinese Martial Arts" (Black Belt Yearbook 1996), Jane Hallander wrote: "Chi kung itself is not a martial art. It's a Chinese internal regimen used to improve health, develop better breathing patterns and strengthen a person's internal chi power. Chi kung practice directly relates to the quality of a person's martial arts ability.

Seated meditation is one of the most effective ways for martial artists to learn to control the circulation of their ki.

Thanks to the immigration and visits of numerous Chinese chi kung experts, American martial artists are able to combine chi kung practice with their fighting arts practice, thereby developing martial arts expertise that rivals practitioners anywhere else in the world."

Medical Theory

Trying to explain the presence and movement of ki often confuses the Western mind, In an effort to explain this circulation, we must compare ki theory to more familiar anatomical systems. For instance, when we are cut, blood flows from the wound and can be physically touched and seen. Ki energy, however, cannot be handled, but like the wind it can be felt and observed. It is similar to light emanating from a movie projector: Even though we cannot hold the individual photons or quanta of energy in our hands, the resultant image can be viewed on a screen.
So it is with ki. Like light from the projector, ki radiates outward from a section of the human anatomy located approximately two inches below the navel. Known in Korean as the dan jeon, in Japanese as the tanden and in Chinese as the dan tian, this area is thought to be the internal reservoir in which ki is stored. Similarly, the clan jeon can be viewed as the center of one's internal universe or as a furnace generating untold quantities of energy.
From this center, ki travels through two main vessels running up the front and back of the body, eventually reaching the internal organs and extremities through 12 additional meridians that branch off into pairs. These channels can be explained in metaphorical terms as a railroad line with the stations being the pressure or acupoints. Like a train, ki travels along the track delivering energy to the various points on the way. Should any of these channels become clogged, the ki flow becomes inhibited and illness ensues. The purpose of ki development, then, is to keep these meridians clear of blockages, thus encouraging an unobstructed, healthy flow of internal energy.

Eboni Adams punches her brother Michael while issuing an explosive kihap. Champions from all martial disciplines know the value of properly using the spirit yell to release energy.

How does ki reach the dan jeon in the first place? Since ki is universal and airborne, our body's primary source of acquisition is through the air we breathe. Correct breathing, therefore, is as essential to proper ki development as it is to the overall maintenance of life.
Breathing-being the unconscious, involuntary reflex that it is-naturally leads many of us to assume that we are performing it correctly. In most cases, however, quite the opposite is true. In all likelihood, the last person to coach us in correct breathing was the physician who delivered us from the womb. The time-worn practice of striking an infant on the buttocks at birth causes it to gulp in great quantities of lifesustaining air. This air does not merely settle in the lungs, but is taken down deep into the area where the diaphragm is located. Weeks later, if one were to observe the same infant lying in its crib, one would notice the rhythmic rise and fall of its abdominal region with each passing breath. This is because-rather than taking light, measured breaths-the infant continues to take long, deep inhalations and exhalations that culminate in the dan jeon.
For whatever reason, though, as we mature our body forgets to breathe in this fashion. We begin to trade deep, kienriched breathing for short, shallow breathing. This is truly unfortunate since there is a direct correlation between the integrity of the individual organs, blood circulation and deep breathing. Blood completes a full circuit of the body in a surprisingly short time, delivering the nutrients and oxygen it receives from the air we breathe along the way. But to satisfy the demands of every living cell, the blood relies on the respiratory system to replenish it with a fresh supply of oxygen and ki lest the body suffer and we fall ill. It is a fact that strong, healthy cells can become maligned if a proper level of oxygen is not maintained. In addition, waste products must be removed with help from the lymphatic system. Correct breathing allows the blood and cells to become saturated with oxygen upon inhalation, while during exhalation it aids in eliminating unwanted metabolic byproducts. By taking advantage of deep breathing, therefore, the dual requirements of ki delivery and cleansing are satisfied.

Without the use of ki to boost the muscular power of the human body, it is doubtful that martial artists could perform the breaking feats often seen at tournaments and demonstrations as shown in the photos above.

Martial Connection

Being aware of the significant role that correct breathing plays in maintaining a healthy body, we must now ask how this tool can be used by the martial artist to augment technique. When we learn to utilize proper breathing as a strategic weapon, we come to realize that the prime moment to attack is when the opponent is inhaling rather than exhaling. This is when the adversary is most vulnerable because his muscles offer the least protection to the skeletal structure and internal organs.
In contrast, exhaling produces the opposite effect by adding ki power to an attack and pulling our body's musculature taut as required in a defensive posture. The sports-minded will find deep, controlled breathing essential when participating in martial arts competition since endurance is directly proportional to our ki-and oxygen-intake. Controlled breathing also aids in masking exhaustion during sparring. Gasping for breath telegraphs to an opponent that the winning edge may already have been gained.
Martial artists often develop their ki through meditation, which can be used to attract, visualize, intensify and manipulate the vital life force within the body. One simple yet effective method for achieving this goal is seated meditation. Many instructors suggested that students take advantage of it at the beginning of selected training sessions to revitalize their ki.

Real Manifestations

The concept of ki manipulation is a common thread that runs through the philosophical fabric of all martial disciplines ' Korean history, for example, is overflowing with heroic figures who performed inconceivable feats of valor stemming from a ki-laden will. Even in today's society, tales of magic involving mothers who single-handedly lift an automobile to free a child pinned underneath and martial arts practitioners who perform seemingly miraculous breaking techniques and dramatic flying kicks abound.
Consequently, it is not uncommon for members of the general public to ascribe mystical powers or superhuman strength to martial artists. While their basic assumption may be somewhat off the mark, the observation that hints at some form of hidden power is credible. Unbeknownst to the average person, what is actually being described is the ability to extend and direct ki.
By "extend and direct ki," we do not simply mean reaching the hand or foot farther out while punching or kicking. In this scenario, ki should be thought of as a laser beam reaching to the far ends of the cosmos, boring its way through the target and making a strong and unbreakable connection between its eventual destination and the practitioner's dan jeon.
Furthermore, ki projection does not need to originate solely from the end of a fist or foot; rather, it can alternately be emitted in the form of a kihap (spirit yell) issuing from the dan jeon. This shout has the ability to startle an opponent and break his concentration. However, just as the report of a pistol is meaningless if it is loaded with blanks, a strong kihap must be accompanied by a fast and powerful technique.
If there truly are any secret techniques buried in the martial arts, they are rooted in the virtues of ki development accompanied by rigorous training, deep breathing and meditation. Through the cultivation of ki, we can develop technique that is focused, fluid, effective and acutely sensitive to our surrounding circumstances.

Comments?

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think that if we accept the paradigm that the universe exists within consciousness, as opposed to the other way around, the idea of Ki becomes not only believable, but fundamental.

I think that Ki is the milk in the cheerios of my movement.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
flatlander said:
I think that Ki is the milk in the cheerios of my movement.

Nice.

And did anyone else feel the need to take a deep breath when reading about children and their breathing?

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flatlander, could you elaborate a little on that first statement? On the second, I'm thinking that you don't mean lactose (dieting on my brain) in your cheerios. I think everyone has internal energy ki and its not all about the sugar level of your blood. Is it about confidence about yourself, or is it one step further, really about a level of power that you have learned to concentrate and draw upon at will. Like if I go into the dojang knowing I will do well that day, I am not dampening down my energy with negative thoughts. But when I am dead tired and I have to do that jump spin heel, I reach down and pull out the needed energy every time. TW

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, of course I will elaborate.

Most 'Realists' have a worldview wherein the 'receptacle' (if you will) in which all 'things' exist is the universe. Inside the universe exists you (and me). In this worldview, your consciousness is a manifestation of your brain, existing in the universe.

To reverse that, you take conciousness out of your mind, and make it the receptacle in which all things exist. In this way, we can understand the 'oneness' of consciousness, and our ability to transcend the physical realm.

I read about it in a book called The Self Aware Universe by Amit Goswami. A thoroughly fascinating book. I have greatly reduced the theory here, and I'm certain that I've not done it justice.

Because the concept of Ki is impossible to understand in the context of classical physics, most would choose to dismiss its validity. Interestingly, with the advent of quantum theory, and its further development, a shift toward the paradigm of consciousness as the recptacle in which all things exist is becoming easier.

I believe Ki to be a form of energy. The problem has been "how can my mind affect something not contained within it? What is the connection?" But if we shift to the worldview of Ki existing within consciousness, and our mind being able to transcend ego, so that there is no "I", then we should be able to better influence Ki by tapping into the 'one consciousness'.

Please understand that I make no claim to be able to "do" any of this. I've merely done some reading, and reconciling of my ideas.

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi Tigerwoman.

One of my instructors explained ki as being the energy one is able to summon. He said that the kiai most of us do when we emphasize a portion of a technique or form is the release of your ki into that emphasis. According to that same instructor, the ki exists in the tanden (there are many variations on the spelling of this but it is the lower abdomen for purposes of general explanation) and is released throughout the body by the kiai (in our case, of course, the roar of the tiger.)

I'm sure there are more complicated explanations, but this one has always worked for me. KT:asian:

[BTW, chi, I am told, is simply the Chinese spelling and pronounciation of ki.]

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ki generally boils down to proper biomechanics when the effects are studied closely.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm gonna disclaimer here right away because the following helps simplify my own (personal) concept of what Chi/Ki is with a quotes from a well known movie(s). (any italics are mine)

"...use the force Luke, let go of your concious self and act on instinct..."

"The force is what gives a Jedi it's power, it's an energy field created by all living things, it surrounds us, penetrates us, it binds the galaxy together..."

LUKE: But how am I to know the good side from the bad?

YODA: You will know. When you are calm, at peace. Passive. A Jedi uses
the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

YODA: And well you should not. For my ally is in the Force. And a powerful
ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us
and binds us. Luminous beings are we...

(Yoda pinches Luke's shoulder)
... not this crude matter.
(a sweeping gesture)
You must feel the Force around you.
(gesturing)
Here, between you... me... the tree... the rock... everywhere!
Yes, even between this land and that ship!

I could go a hellva lot deeper than this simplified version (above) of the concept. I was surprised and not surprised when watching these films for the first time the pattern of thought was similar in concept of what chi/ki is (for me anyway)
But understanding how we are made, understanding our own origins, understanding what exactly it is that keeps us alive and makes us who we are. Allowed me to get in touch with that part deep inside.
No, I can't manipulate rocks around or pick up a star-fighter (or a F-14 equivalent) out of a swamp. But by concentrating I can feel things around me. By relaxing and being concious and not concious of what I'm doing I (used to anyway) can do that... feel life within and without me.
It has helped me to understand and appreciate my place in this universe, in this macroverse. That I would not exist without it and it would not exist (as it is right now at this very moment) without me.
The energy that lies within me (and everyone else), can be tapped and utilized in ways that we possibly cannot imagine.
Simplified version of this... "The Force." :jediduel:

it is all in the mind, not in a yell, not in a part of the body, not in a movement. But in the mind is where your chi comes from.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Everyone is born with a certain amount of Ki energy; it is what gives us life. However, Ki energy can be developed through proper practice. This is one thing that separates traditional martial arts from so-called sports styles of simple fighting styles. The latter do not develop Ki energy. They produce conditioned athletes who are good physical shape. But Ki energy is much more internal. It is energy that goes way beyond simple physical fitness and exercise. And before anyone asks, I am not entirely sure myself exactly what it is. I just know it exists. One of the reasons we in traditional martial arts practice making the abdomen strong and abdominal breathing is because the abdomen (dan jeon in Korean) is the center of Ki energy.
How do we develop Ki? Proper beathing, proper diet (ginseng is a good one), and proper practice.
Ki is nothing really mystical. I am very skeptical about people who claim the ability to knock people down or physically manipulate objects with Ki. That's not what it is about. Ki is simply your body's internal energy that sustains and energizes you like personal electricity. practicing Ki development is like charging your body's batteries.
Think about it. How many 70 year old basketball or football players do you know? Very few, because western sports are purely physical and tear the body down after time. It is not unusual to see 70 year old traditional martial artists, because traditional martial arts nourish and build up the body through Ki energy.
Example: My wife doesn't practice martial arts, probably thinks Ki is a bunch of baloney, exercises more than I do, and eats better than I do. She also complains of being tired all the time. Granted, her work schedule is demanding. I generally teach class after about 5-6 hours of sleep, and go to work after teaching. I practice traditional Tae kwon Do and usually have no problem making energy to go to work. I attribute it to good Ki development, much like a good battery.

R

RHD

I think chi/ki is purely psychological and based in the individual's belief.
If you believe in chi, you will feel it or lack of it. If you don't, you will use other terms to describe the same feelings or lack of them.
Mike

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RHD said:
I think chi/ki is purely psychological and based in the individual's belief.
If you believe in chi, you will feel it or lack of it. If you don't, you will use other terms to describe the same feelings or lack of them.
Mike
I would have to agree with this, I remember reading an article in the seventies that told about a ordinary man that was able to pick up the front end of a car that was on top of a small child... He was not stronger than anybody else just a normal guy but the thought of that child being killed by the wieght of the car... Somehow he was able to pull strength from somewhere to be able to move that car off of the child.... You can call it inner strenght, blood a pumping, chi/ki or what ever else but every single person can get a quick boost of energy from object or other people that are around them... and no I cannot explain why I for one don't question certain things in life ..... God Bless America