TKD Video VS MMA

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here is the link Please make comments about the fight itself.

I believe he got his neck broke and was not ready or cage fighting rules, just by the way he was grabbing the gut by the neck.

Windsinger

Green Belt
Reaction score
Every time I see a "TKD v. MMA" video, I always see the same thing: MMA feints high, TKD attempts to block, MMA shoots under the raised arms for a take-down.

What I would like to see: MMA feints high, TKD fakes a block and goes into a rear leg front kick, MMA shoots in and catches a heel to the head.

I don't know if that's realistic or not, but that's my (admittedly inexperienced) thought on that. :)

And that TKD'er was way out classed just based on weight alone.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
oh my god...you don't go into the cage any more with just one dimension...especially against travis fulton of all people!

i don't think he broke his neck, it looked like a shoulder dislocation to me. he was holding his head off of the mat afterwards. even if he couldn't ground fight, he should have at least learned to breakfall.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree, shoulder dislocation, I've seen a fair few now.
It was a stupid fight to take whatever way you look at it.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Agree, shoulder dislocation, I've seen a fair few now.
It was a stupid fight to take whatever way you look at it.

not if you look at it from travis fulton's side!

jf

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not if you look at it from travis fulton's side!

jf

To be honest it's an even more stupid fight for him to take! it's like me fighting one of my Little Dragons! If I beat them I've beaten a little kid up and if they beat me I could never show my face again! It was brave of the TKD lad if misguided but really stupid of Fulton to take this.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
To be honest it's an even more stupid fight for him to take! it's like me fighting one of my Little Dragons! If I beat them I've beaten a little kid up and if they beat me I could never show my face again! It was brave of the TKD lad if misguided but really stupid of Fulton to take this.

true, but you missed the one major positive...easy $$$. he probably cashed his check from that fight then fought again next week. sporting of him? no, but i bet he & his girlfriend got a nice steak dinner out of it.

jf

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the short term yes perhaps he got money out of it but it's now on his record and when people look to match him up they'll be thinking he's a plonker, he won't get the matches he want's. His rep will be shot to hell, money won't get that back now lol!

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
plonker? is that a british thing? lol

i don't know tez...the guy had 200+mma fights, plus 34 boxing fights. something tells me he still didn't have trouble getting fights! :D

jf

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you win tez you're too urban for me!

LOL, it's just 'English' English.

We regularly get people phoning to matched for fights on our shows who do martial arts and think they are ready to fight in the cage. While they are probably very good fighters in their own style it doesn't mean they can fight in another without some preparation. Its like rugby players thinking that they can play American football ( or Aussie rules which is a great game) without any practice or going over the rules. The players can all be great, skilful and brave but it's literally a different ball game.
There's many very good TKD people who's gone into MMA and are doing very well sadly this lad isn't one of them. if he got some groundwork in and as as you said he should learn to breakfall!

This is Mark Weir, known for his TKD ( he did one of the fastest KO in UFC 38 with a roundhouse kick to the head) I'd suggest watching with sound down or at least low as the commentators are really irritating!
This gives the lie also to the statements people make about MMA always going straight to ground.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bVxd-aT3QBo

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
i'll have to watch that clip later, my boss is almost here.

promotions must run differently on your side of the pond; over here if some dope calls a promoter looking for a fight, the promoter just licks his chops & feeds him to the sharks. the shark is usually one of his own fighters. it's really more about selling tickets, & beatdowns sell tickets.

jf

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'll have to watch that clip later, my boss is almost here.

promotions must run differently on your side of the pond; over here if some dope calls a promoter looking for a fight, the promoter just licks his chops & feeds him to the sharks. the shark is usually one of his own fighters. it's really more about selling tickets, & beatdowns sell tickets.

jf

I guess that's why we don't make money here lol! matches here are fair, no one would ask to be matched on shows that don't have good fight matches. You can expect to be matched with a fighter who's of the same weight and experience as yourself. Here though we have a smaller pool of fighters to chose from and all promoters, fighters, trainers etc know each other so it's hard to dupe anyone!. That TKD v MMA match wouldn't have happened here. The other thing we like is for matches to go the distance, a promoters worst nightmare is to have fights finish in the first minute of the first round. We only have about 10-12 fights on every card as a rule so it could be a short night with fights like this one on it. People wouldn't come back either, you'd lose your audience promoting fights like this, the audience likes to see fighting. The British are famous for supporting the underdog too so all the support would have been for the TKD guy, people wouldn't have been happy he lost.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
no shortage of cannon fodder over here. there's always another kid who trained for 6months or so, doesn't bother to get management, takes a fight, & gets bloodied up for the crowd. so a lot of promoters don't care if the kid gets burnt & never wants to fight again. someone else will.

one of my students took a fight a while back. i asked him what he knew about the guy & he said, "i dunno. he's undefeated." fortunately he won (must be all that great training he gets!) could have just as easily gone the other way though.

jf

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just proves you have to be well-rounded to fight in a cage match. Surely everyone knows that by now. But then again, I guess not, judging by the video.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I've seen of TKD matches they don't generally go rushing in the way this lad did? There was a chance that he could keep the fight standing if he'd used his kicks to keep his opponent from taking him down, it's usually what's expected from a 'kicker'. I would have expected it to go on a little longer if the TKD had been skilled enough.

I think MMA here and there are very much two different things! I'm not saying we're perfect but we aren't very commerical either, I daresay in the future it could get so that promoters will have no scruples but touch wood its not that way yet.

Latest Discussions