How close is close range in wing chun?

bezzerk

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi, can you tell me if what this guy here says about close range is right and common knowledge in wing chun?

Start at 8:00 and then watch a few minutes.

To me what he demonstrates appears to make sense but is this what's generally taught in wing chun?
I have watched instructional videos from chinese sifus and also training videos on the wooden dummy and
from what I remember they were all not as close as he is. Does this mean he's right and most others are wrong
and they are too far away from the attacker/dummy?

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't worry too much about "right" and "wrong." People seem to think that Wing Chun is just one thing. It is not. Wing Chun has grown so much over time that there are now many variants and interpretations that can all work in the context of how they are being used. People that put an emphasis on punching in their Wing Chun are going to function primarily at punching range...approximately arm's reach. But people that put an emphasis on controlling and manipulating the opponent in their Wing Chun are going to function at a closer range.

OP
B

bezzerk

White Belt
Reaction score
That makes sense. But how do you know what's better and more effective?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kehcorpz! Izzat you? Have you started training yet or are you still just watching Youtube clips? I guess we all know the answer to that!!!:p

OP
B

bezzerk

White Belt
Reaction score
Kehcorpz! Izzat you? Have you started training yet or are you still just watching Youtube clips? I guess we all know the answer to that!!!:p

Yeah. I forgot my old data.

No I haven't yet started anything. I simply cannot make up my mind. :(

Every time when I feel like ok I'm just gonna do wing chun for a while I start to get doubts.

I needed to feel like this stuff really works but how? There's so much opposition.

I'd like to do wing chun + something like aikido or ninjutsu where you learn to throw people.

But this seems to dangerous to me. Just looking at how people are being thrown on the mattress

scares me. This seems pretty risky to me in terms of neck injuries or other injuries.

I'd like to learn how to throw but not be thrown.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Every time when I feel like ok I'm just gonna do wing chun for a while I start to get doubts.

I needed to feel like this stuff really works but how? There's so much opposition.

I'd like to do wing chun + something like aikido or ninjutsu where you learn to throw people.

But this seems to dangerous to me. Just looking at how people are being thrown on the mattress

scares me. This seems pretty risky to me in terms of neck injuries or other injuries.

If you don't get thrown, you'll never learn how to throw.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

If you can't treat yourself as a "bouncing ball", the throwing art is not for you.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dude you are my new psychic hotline lol!!!!! At the same time, if I make it to Phoenix next year you owe me. I was drinking a glass of Highland Park 12 year Single Malt. Do you know how much scotch burns coming out your nose!!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
God your right it is this guy. I thought he was gone but hey I guess we're back to giving this guy the same answers to his pointless questions

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

*facepalm* here we go again. Log off your computer go to a school go train that's all the advice you're getting.

Yeah okay it's dangerous so don't train forget martial arts and take up knitting

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dude you are my new psychic hotline lol!!!!! At the same time, if I make it to Phoenix next year you owe me. I was drinking a glass of Highland Park 12 year Single Malt. Do you know how much scotch burns coming out your nose!!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Yup, I was thinking the same thing too.
By the way, my favorite is Nikka Coffey grain, excellent Japanese whiskey, velvety and smooth.

Reactions: KPM

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upload_2016-12-2_18-10-59.png

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I was right! It is kehcorpz!
Now to use that nifty ignore button again.

SOD-WC

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Bezzerk i dont think its physically possible to learn something without experiencing it.
pleae dont take this the wrong way, but you sound like you expect everything to be given to you. Its ok for you to throw someone but they cant do it back to you. there is no MA school out there that can provide it, u r better off buying a rag doll and train with that instead. best of luck, you'll build loads of stamina while you're at it.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Golly, son, just go to the closest place.

D

Dylan9d

Effin hell.........you still lurking about?

Let me give you some advice, ok wait for it.........

GET OFF YOUR LAZY *** AND START TRAINING!

Latest Discussions