The Vice & Delayed Sword

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I teach my students that the first thing to do when attacked is just move. I don't care which angle you move to, just move. You do not have time to recognize that you are being attacked, analyze the attack, run through your mental inventory of self defense techniques, choose one, and then execute it. If your inventory of techniques is large enough, you will never find yourself in a position that you are unfamiliar with. You will always be able to deliver a weapon to a target, so just move.

If you do not move from the center of the clock you are probably in color code white ( relaxed and unaware). If so, its too late, even if you are a black belt. However, there may be occasions when you may find yourself in an environment that prohibits you from moving. (For example, a telephone booth--for those old enough to remember what those are). In those occasions, techniques like The Vise teach a student how to respond.

Jim

Interesting thoughts, thankyou.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I teach my students that the first thing to do when attacked is just move. I don't care which angle you move to, just move. You do not have time to recognize that you are being attacked, analyze the attack, run through your mental inventory of self defense techniques, choose one, and then execute it. If your inventory of techniques is large enough, you will never find yourself in a position that you are unfamiliar with. You will always be able to deliver a weapon to a target, so just move.

If you do not move from the center of the clock you are probably in color code white ( relaxed and unaware). If so, its too late, even if you are a black belt. However, there may be occasions when you may find yourself in an environment that prohibits you from moving. (For example, a telephone booth--for those old enough to remember what those are). In those occasions, techniques like The Vise teach a student how to respond.

Jim

What's a telephone booth?

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
For thwarting the tackle on Vise...since the block/kick combo happen first,if the guy decides to shoot to a tackle, he SHOULD eat your knee.

In Delayed Sword, making the transition from doing the kick after the block to having to do it RIGHT NOW because you're about to be tackled is not really all that difficult, if you have worked it that way.

Now, in both scenarios, you are likely still going down. But the other guy is going down with a mouthful of knee.

If the knee rushing towards his teeth is enough to give him pause, you are in a really nice position to use that half of an inward block you've already thrown as a downward elbow to the base of the skull...

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If the knee rushing towards his teeth is enough to give him pause, you are in a really nice position to use that half of an inward block you've already thrown as a downward elbow to the base of the skull...
Which sets him up beautifully for right-left descending knifehands to the base of the skull, which sets up a right rising claw to the face, which sets up a left thrusting heelpalm to...
Well, you get the idea. That's one of the things which got me hooked on Kenpo, the follow-ups. The amount and variety (not to mention the severity) of the moves lies in your discretion/creativity/ability. No "throw the technique and then step back to see what happens". JMHO, of course.

kenpostudent

White Belt
Reaction score
In Delayed Sword...interesting to note that an in-built anti-lunging mechanism is available by simply modifying the target from da nuts, to the pubic bone...just below the bladder, and just above where your junk attaches to your body. Blows the guy backwards & away if you aim penetration a couple inches behind the target.

Spread love,

Dave

You would have the same effect unless you change the method of execution of the kick from snap to thrust, though. That would defeat the purpose of the technique because the hand sword to the neck would be tough to land without shuffling in. You lose the power gained from acheiving meeting force with the handsword.

To avoid the tackle, all you really have to do is adequately check his width with a solid block...no sissy, slappity-slap blocks. Let's not make this simple technique too hard.

You can also change the timing for the punch...the block and the kick can fire at the same time...much like the kick and the poke in Defying the Rod.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting ideas. I'll address "Delayed Sword" as that is a Parker Technique we spent a lot of time on, and its variant for a punch, "Sword of Doom."

One of the things that hasn't been addressed in "Delayed Sword" is how you address the body momentum that accompanies the grab. The reasons for grabs initially are intimidation and limited control, therefore they don't take place in a sterile environment without significant contact. I teach this technique as a hammering heel palm driving against the body forcing you back, followed by a seizing of the hand to the clothing. Therefore in the assault you are struck in the chest, driven backwards, and then seized with the possibility of additional attacks.

Most don't even consider these things. Think about it. Someone slowly walks up to you, and grabs your lapel in such a manner it has no impact on your body whatsoever. Not only is that an unreal grab, but I doubt any of you would let someone get that far if they did it that way. No this technique is a surprise coming from stealth, that slams into you.

We employ distinctive stances, footwork, and hand Indexing to regain our balance and solidify our stance(s), while pinning his hand to our lapel. From there we strike to the head of the humerus of the shoulder, cutting across the Line of Sight to disrupt the visual Cortex and induce a PNF Sensor Reflex and Muscle Reassignment just prior to the strike. This single action will weaken him, open the Lung Point on the shoulder, and weaken the grip strength in the hand. Additionally when we pinned his hand, we also impacted a major PNF sensor in the other hand causing additional muscle reassignment by changing the shape of the metacarpals of the seizing hand. The striking hand remains on the shoulder to control depth for the next action.

All of this occurs on the first movement of initial retaliation.

Working from a solid stance utilizing specific footwork, we step FORWARD into a cat stance and execute a gauging kick between the legs. Because of the anatomical geometric variances in the length of the pinned arm, as well as the defender you cannot assign a specific type of front kick from 'arms length.'

If you step back into a cat stance, you cannot account for the forward body momentum of the attacker, and you are fatally misaligned and will be driven backwards into a possible grappling situation.

After the kick is delivered, you move forward in a Braced Index Position just prior to a right outward downward handsword to a specific point on the side of the neck to induce PMD, Physical & Mental Disassociation as you plant into a right neutral bow.

And for the record, you cannot control, stop, or account for a grappling response by blocking alone.

Jim Hanna

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Interesting ideas. I'll address "Delayed Sword" as that is a Parker Technique we spent a lot of time on, and its variant for a punch, "Sword of Doom."

One of the things that hasn't been addressed in "Delayed Sword" is how you address the body momentum that accompanies the grab. The reasons for grabs initially are intimidation and limited control, therefore they don't take place in a sterile environment without significant contact. I teach this technique as a hammering heel palm driving against the body forcing you back, followed by a seizing of the hand to the clothing. Therefore in the assault you are struck in the chest, driven backwards, and then seized with the possibility of additional attacks.

Most don't even consider these things. Think about it. Someone slowly walks up to you, and grabs your lapel in such a manner it has no impact on your body whatsoever. Not only is that an unreal grab, but I doubt any of you would let someone get that far if they did it that way. No this technique is a surprise coming from stealth, that slams into you.

We employ distinctive stances, footwork, and hand Indexing to regain our balance and solidify our stance(s), while pinning his hand to our lapel. From there we strike to the head of the humerus of the shoulder, cutting across the Line of Sight to disrupt the visual Cortex and induce a PNF Sensor Reflex and Muscle Reassignment just prior to the strike. This single action will weaken him, open the Lung Point on the shoulder, and weaken the grip strength in the hand. Additionally when we pinned his hand, we also impacted a major PNF sensor in the other hand causing additional muscle reassignment by changing the shape of the metacarpals of the seizing hand. The striking hand remains on the shoulder to control depth for the next action.

All of this occurs on the first movement of initial retaliation.

Working from a solid stance utilizing specific footwork, we step FORWARD into a cat stance and execute a gauging kick between the legs. Because of the anatomical geometric variances in the length of the pinned arm, as well as the defender you cannot assign a specific type of front kick from 'arms length.'

If you step back into a cat stance, you cannot account for the forward body momentum of the attacker, and you are fatally misaligned and will be driven backwards into a possible grappling situation.

After the kick is delivered, you move forward in a Braced Index Position just prior to a right outward downward handsword to a specific point on the side of the neck to induce PMD, Physical & Mental Disassociation as you plant into a right neutral bow.

And for the record, you cannot control, stop, or account for a grappling response by blocking alone.

I think that Doc's analysis of the attack is right on. What good is knowing a self defense technique if you do not understand the nature of the attack?

If I understand correctly, Doc serves warrants. What that means is that he is "grabbing" people in some fashion every day that he works. So, the lessons learned are real and not imaginative nor dojo simulated.

Jim

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think that Doc's analysis of the attack is right on. What good is knowing a self defense technique if you do not understand the nature of the attack?

If I understand correctly, Doc serves warrants. What that means is that he is "grabbing" people in some fashion every day that he works. So, the lessons learned are real and not imaginative nor dojo simulated.

Jim
We call it "gogetems" for fugitive warrants. Mr. Parker and I spent a great deal of time on the "Psychology and Physiology of Confrontation" component. It is imperative in designing any self-defense model, that before you began working on the defense, you meticulously analyze the attack physically, as well as the mental and emotional intent of the attacker. Only with a clear understanding of the perameters of the attack, can you then begin the process to design a functional default technique sequence to teach from.

Mr. Parker was fascinated by law enforcement and began by teaching the Utah Highway Patrol. I believe, among other things, that my status as a street cop induced him to play with me in a lot of areas. He loved everything about it. He had handcuffs he would play with, batons, (straight and side handle) tons of guns long and short, and wanted to apply Kenpo to every aspect of the job.

Stay safe Jim. :)

Latest Discussions