The rant thread

huntly_kickboxing

White Belt
Reaction score
So we just stay staggnant and martial arts doesnt evolve, then all of you in your glass towers can cast judgement upon all the inovators searching for ,evolving, there art. I think The UFC has showen us all how ineffective alot of the moves in martial arts are, in real life they dont work, UFC was ruled by BJJ but now the mantle has moved towards wrestling,and now theres a shift to your stand up fight. If a MA uses the internet good on them. 2 minds are better then one that looks in a mirror in a dark room.
JIM

OP
Don Roley

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So we just stay staggnant and martial arts doesnt evolve, then all of you in your glass towers can cast judgement upon all the inovators searching for ,evolving, there art. I think The UFC has showen us all how ineffective alot of the moves in martial arts are, in real life they dont work, UFC was ruled by BJJ but now the mantle has moved towards wrestling,and now theres a shift to your stand up fight. If a MA uses the internet good on them. 2 minds are better then one that looks in a mirror in a dark room.

Perhaps you might want to read what has been written. It is hard to have a discussion with someone like yourself if you don't even realize what others are saying. I am not going to try to make things clear to you if you refuse to actually read and respond to what is actually being said.

Question, are you trying to cause trouble? If you are not, then you had best look at your behavior. I do not think you will last long here if you continue on the path you are on now.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But every so often I get someone who is trying to do an attack that is somewhat different from what the teacher's uke is doing and actually seems amis that I want him to do the technique as shown instead of trying to modify the move to the new attack. :tantrum:

I have run into that too. I have had to explain that although that what they did was OK under other circumstances, it was not what the instructor wanted us to work on. Trying to be polite. ;)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have run into that too. I have had to explain that although that what they did was OK under other circumstances, it was not what the instructor wanted us to work on. Trying to be polite. ;)

Yes that is always a good way to handle it. However if you get someone who is not working along with what the teacher is showing then you may have to switch and find another uke. I always try to choose my partner's wisely so that I and they get the maximum out of each class.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes that is always a good way to handle it. However if you get someone who is not working along with what the teacher is showing then you may have to switch and find another uke. I always try to choose my partner's wisely so that I and they get the maximum out of each class.

I switch around frequently. I like to try to switch every time we switch up the training.

huntly_kickboxing

White Belt
Reaction score
Perhaps you might want to read what has been written. It is hard to have a discussion with someone like yourself if you don't even realize what others are saying. I am not going to try to make things clear to you if you refuse to actually read and respond to what is actually being said.

Question, are you trying to cause trouble? If you are not, then you had best look at your behavior. I do not think you will last long here if you continue on the path you are on now.

No Not trying to cause trouble!! Getting use to the format and now to post quotes etc with my speel, so people can see what I'm ranting about lol, so i will practice, never feel threatend by the unknowen for if one doesnt evolve one is then a tree, strong and pleasent on a hot summers day but rooted in place, be the wind free, moving, always seeking enlightenment. If your so good judge me but you are not my master and i not your slave.

JIM

OP
Don Roley

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
never feel threatend by the unknowen

It is not the unknown that is the worry, it is the unknowing such as yourself that is the concern.

for if one doesnt evolve one is then a tree, strong and pleasent on a hot summers day but rooted in place, be the wind free, moving, always seeking enlightenment. If your so good judge me but you are not my master and i not your slave.

Again, perhaps you should read up a bit about the subjects you voice opinions on. The head of my tradition has a book out on knife and pistol fighting. Have you ever studied those disciplines?:uhyeah:

As for being my slave, no. But you should listen to those that know far, far more than you probably ever will. But if you try to make comments on a subject you have no knowledge about, you probably will never reach a position of wisdom. Take a look at the red dot you have in the upper right hand corner. That is a bad sign. I have not given you any negative karma, but it seems that your attitude has caused people to judge you as a troublemaker or a fool. It really does not matter in the end which you are. I have never seen someone to get red dots like yours so soon after joining to last long. Maybe you will surprise me and start to listen to reason. I will root for that, but not bet on it.

OP
Don Roley

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Well, I have had people think that what they were doing was what the teacher was doing. Or they could not see the differences. And in one case, I had a guy tell me he did not want to punch like the teacher.

Maybe I should explain. One night long ago when I was training with Shiraishi, he showed a technique where you slipped the punch coming in and you grabbed the rear hand guarding his face to do a wrist lock. I did the slip as shown, but there was nothing between me and the the guy's face but air. The guy had thrown a punch with his rear hand on his hip! That is so strange as to mention comment. But when I asked him to keep his hand up like the guy had shown, he sniffed that he did not throw punches like that.

Well, everyone in Japan seems to throw punches like that. And if you don't, the teacher will smack you in the face. Or at least the ones I train with. When you stop leaving something open, they stop hitting you. But was I there to smack this guy in the face or do what the teacher was doing?

But far more often I have run across people that don't understand that even the mere angle of the grabbing arm determines what kind of techique is the best to use. And when you point it out, they think you just can't adapt what you are doing. The point is, we have so many things we could do because there are so many different things that can happen. Doing what is not the most approriate instals in us bad habits.

huntly_kickboxing

White Belt
Reaction score
It is not the unknown that is the worry, it is the unknowing such as yourself that is the concern.
Again, perhaps you should read up a bit about the subjects you voice opinions on. The head of my tradition has a book out on knife and pistol fighting. Have you ever studied those disciplines?:uhyeah:

As for being my slave, no. But you should listen to those that know far, far more than you probably ever will. But if you try to make comments on a subject you have no knowledge about, you probably will never reach a position of wisdom. Take a look at the red dot you have in the upper right hand corner. That is a bad sign. I have not given you any negative karma, but it seems that your attitude has caused people to judge you as a troublemaker or a fool. It really does not matter in the end which you are. I have never seen someone to get red dots like yours so soon after joining to last long. Maybe you will surprise me and start to listen to reason. I will root for that, but not bet on it.

I thought this was a rant page

rant (rănt)
pron.gif

v., rant·ed, rant·ing, rants.

v.intr.
To speak or write in an angry or violent manner; rave.
v.tr.
To utter or express with violence or extravagance: a dictator who ranted his vitriol onto a captive audience.
n.
  1. Violent or extravagant speech or writing.
  2. A speech or piece of writing that incites anger or violence: “The vast majority [of teenagers logged onto the Internet] did not encounter recipes for pipe bombs or deranged rants about white supremacy” (Daniel Okrent).
  3. Chiefly British. Wild or uproarious merriment.
I was expressing my opinion
But obviously u and your red dot clan
deny a person this right
Hide behind your glass wall
But you shouldn't throw stones
Thankyou for your wisdom
Unlike you I read and think
Instead fear the unknowen,
as for guns and knifes my first sifu
told me "If someone pulls knife Run!"
"If someone pulls gun run faster"

Yours in peace and kindness

JIM

OP
Don Roley

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was expressing my opinion But obviously u and your red dot clandeny a person this right Hide behind your glass wall But you shouldn't throw stones

I see. You are not trying to be disruptive, but just merely lack the ability to understand that this thread is in a certain section and relating to matters of that section.

Perhaps if you tried to understand things you would be less bitter. There are many people here who would be willing to help someone with as little knowledge and experience as you do if only you show the proper attitude instead of lashing out as you are. You have the ability to change your ways and learn from your mistakes. If you do not want to admit you were wrong and move on, then you will be stuck in the same rut you are in for all your life. Do you really want that?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
JIM

Jim, this is a rant thread in the Traditional Ninjutsu Forum and is specifically geared towards authentic traditional Ninjutsu. Thanks.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, I have had people think that what they were doing was what the teacher was doing. Or they could not see the differences. And in one case, I had a guy tell me he did not want to punch like the teacher.

Maybe I should explain. One night long ago when I was training with Shiraishi, he showed a technique where you slipped the punch coming in and you grabbed the rear hand guarding his face to do a wrist lock. I did the slip as shown, but there was nothing between me and the the guy's face but air. The guy had thrown a punch with his rear hand on his hip! That is so strange as to mention comment. But when I asked him to keep his hand up like the guy had shown, he sniffed that he did not throw punches like that.

Well, everyone in Japan seems to throw punches like that. And if you don't, the teacher will smack you in the face. Or at least the ones I train with. When you stop leaving something open, they stop hitting you. But was I there to smack this guy in the face or do what the teacher was doing?

But far more often I have run across people that don't understand that even the mere angle of the grabbing arm determines what kind of techique is the best to use. And when you point it out, they think you just can't adapt what you are doing. The point is, we have so many things we could do because there are so many different things that can happen. Doing what is not the most approriate instals in us bad habits.

I believe all of these situations could be avoided if people in the Bujinkan were less afraid to talk to each other about them.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

It seems to be something that crosses the lines of different systems...

I've run into people who don't even try to work the technique demonstrated. They just run it once, say "OK, got that..." and start playing around. Or who don't even watch closely, and assume that they know what the teacher wants people to work on... :confused: I frequently use a similar technique to yours; "I thought he did..." or "Didn't he do this?"

Many years ago, my instructor gave me some great advice for martial arts training. It's really simple; the secret to success is to follow directions. (Hey, I said it was simple, I didn't say it was easy to do!)

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
JIM

Jim,

If I may make a comment or two sitting in my glass tower here behind the internet and all.

The UFC has rules, no small circle locks, no joint locks. Ken Shamrock was one who petitioned for these early on as he would not make the finals in the days of the matches before the pay per view. He would have a broken hand or something else that would not allow him to fight.

Some of the shots that the Gracies did early on are also not allowed anymore. Directionaly shots to the back of the head, and such have been removed.

If the one thing the UFC and Pride and Boxing has proven, is that it is not the gym or the art, it is how hard one trains and how hungry the indiviual is, not the system or school they train in.

Just my thoughts from my glass tower.

PS: MY apologies to the Ninjutsu forum and those who read here for being off-topic. :asian:

Alan Witty

White Belt
Reaction score
The point is, we have so many things we could do because there are so many different things that can happen. Doing what is not the most approriate instals in us bad habits.

Umm my experience is that is sometimes it takes a trained eye to see what is happening. In Japan the last time I was asked many time by my partner "What is the right way?" . My response was, if I was not clear, ask the Sensei as he is teaching the class.

While I agree with this point above when I am teaching if a student does not see what I am demonstrating I always let them, encourage them, to finish what they are doing. Than I will show the technique again to provide correction.

I do this as one of my teachers pointed out that stopjutsu is also a bad thing. His point was let it carry out and than correct -- when he was not telling my how wrong I was at the time. Anyway, his comment was that otherwise the student got in the habit of stopping and thinking. Of course outside the Dojo this could result in a permanent stop.

Sorry if this is disjointed. Still trying to figure things on the space out.

Alan Witty

White Belt
Reaction score
Hmm. I can see this point but I do think now we are moving out of Budo in general and more into teaching and pedagogy. I teach for a living, online college Professor, and have formal training in the area. I also do curriculm develpment. Just to provide background.

Hmm. I can see this point but I do think now we are moving out of Budo in general and more into teaching and pedagogy. I teach for a living, online college Professor, and have formal training in the area. I also do curriculum development. Just to provide background.

In any case there are hazards to allowing a student to continue in this situation. In the main it is the development of bad habits. In this scenario you have to balance one set of bad habits against another. The first is Stopjutsu which for me needs to be stopped up front. The logic here is that it is a "fatal" or near so flaw from a combative standpoint.

The second is the failure to perceive the specific role of the Tori or Uke at that point. I think that this can be effectively corrected after the sequence is completed and in fact the error itself can be used as a foundation for correction and learning.

Of course I am speaking from the perspective of the teacher and not the participant while Don's "Rant" on this was from the other perspective.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Alan,

Are you a godan under Hatsumi?

Just curious,

Carol