The Non Spinning back fist.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was taught temple in a fight. I was taught It would knock out or might even kill your attacker.
I grew up thinking that too, but these days, the most I hope to get from it it is to rattle the brain. I'm not saying that you can't die from a strike there, I'm just saying that it's not as easy to hit that spot as most people make it sound like. If I really want to hurt someone that bad then there are easier places to get to. To put it into context look at all of the strikes that occur in MMA from punches to kicks and no one dies instantly, correction: The number of those who die instantly are very small considering the number of people getting hit in the head.

My entire rule for dangerous like that is to either avoid them or not strike them hard (with gear on).
I'm of the mindset if I can:
  • hit you with a slow punch
  • pull the power from it
  • and have enough thinking time to determine before impact, that I need to pull the punch so I don't severely injure you.
Then I could easily blast a full power punch without having to think about it. That lack of "real-time" analysis would mean that my punch would be that much faster because I'm not running a bunch of calculations in my head while trying to analyze how hard I should hit you. So if I target spots like that, then gloves, and gear is a must, along with pulling power, and putting the safety of your sparring partner first.

My back fist are more like bats then the one that snaps. I'm not fond of the snapping backfist, I haven't done one since I was 8 and in karate.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I grew up thinking that too, but these days, the most I hope to get from it it is to rattle the brain. I'm not saying that you can't die from a strike there, I'm just saying that it's not as easy to hit that spot as most people make it sound like. If I really want to hurt someone that bad then there are easier places to get to. To put it into context look at all of the strikes that occur in MMA from punches to kicks and no one dies instantly, correction: The number of those who die instantly are very small considering the number of people getting hit in the head.

My entire rule for dangerous like that is to either avoid them or not strike them hard (with gear on).
I'm of the mindset if I can:
  • hit you with a slow punch
  • pull the power from it
  • and have enough thinking time to determine before impact, that I need to pull the punch so I don't severely injure you.
Then I could easily blast a full power punch without having to think about it. That lack of "real-time" analysis would mean that my punch would be that much faster because I'm not running a bunch of calculations in my head while trying to analyze how hard I should hit you. So if I target spots like that, then gloves, and gear is a must, along with pulling power, and putting the safety of your sparring partner first.

My back fist are more like bats then the one that snaps. I'm not fond of the snapping backfist, I haven't done one since I was 8 and in karate.
It doesn't apply to the first strike knock out idea but a lead hand backfist to the nose works well. The watery eyes and brief loss of concentration are priceless. Great bar fight technique for the guy who keeps wanting to get in your face.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you change "would" to "might", you'll be a lot closer to correct. Frankly, the backfist is a low percentage knockout move. And I am quite skeptical about the possibility of a non-spinning backfist to the temple being lethal.
You would have to have a really clean shot to kill someone by hitting them in the temple. It's the one place where people's arms really get in the way when they are trying to cover against punches. It's definitely not as easy as it people tend to make it seem.
upload_2018-12-31_19-59-48.jpeg

Look at the effort these guys have to put into striking on or near that area

I think I read something that the reason the temple is such a dangerous spot is because the bone is thinner there and a skull fracture in that area can cut the artery that's in that area. Skull fractures are bad in my book regardless if they are cutting anything. My guess is that in the past many people probably died from the concussion of being hit there. Not sure if back then "ancient times" they tried to keep people from falling to sleep after having a concussion, or if they just allowed them to sleep.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You would have to have a really clean shot to kill someone by hitting them in the temple. It's the one place where people's arms really get in the way when they are trying to cover against punches. It's definitely not as easy as it people tend to make it seem.
View attachment 21996

Look at the effort these guys have to put into striking on or near that area

I think I read something that the reason the temple is such a dangerous spot is because the bone is thinner there and a skull fracture in that area can cut the artery that's in that area. Skull fractures are bad in my book regardless if they are cutting anything. My guess is that in the past many people probably died from the concussion of being hit there. Not sure if back then "ancient times" they tried to keep people from falling to sleep after having a concussion, or if they just allowed them to sleep.
Yes, the mengenial artery runs behind the temple; which is the thinnest part of the skull. It is a good, but hard target. You have a real chance of damaging the artery and causing damage.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It doesn't apply to the first strike knock out idea but a lead hand backfist to the nose works well. The watery eyes and brief loss of concentration are priceless. Great bar fight technique for the guy who keeps wanting to get in your face.
One of my favorite sayings during my first years of Jow Ga is. "Break your enemy's nose and let him drown on his own blood." I have a big nose so you know I'm not trying to get smashed in my nose. lol

I've seen pictures of people with broken noses and I'm like "Hell naw. I'll pass"

How a backfist should be done he he he

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
One of my favorite sayings during my first years of Jow Ga is. "Break your enemy's nose and let him drown on his own blood." I have a big nose so you know I'm not trying to get smashed in my nose. lol

I've seen pictures of people with broken noses and I'm like "Hell naw. I'll pass"

Your tagline link doesn't work.

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score

Excellent video

Latest Discussions