• Like the 2nd one

• Liked the 3rd one

• Liked the 4th one

• Liked a couple of them

Results are only viewable after voting.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I can`t recall if it was this forum or another one where someone pointed out that it was easy to cheer on Daniel in the first one because his opponants were fully grown. I think that one problem with the new one will be that you feel like a shmuck cheering somebody who`s beating up a 9 or 10 year old kid.

To look at it another way, in the scenes where Mr Miyagi had to fight the Cobra Kai guys, there was some expectation that he was in danger. They were skilled and twice his size. Will anyone feel that way if Jackie chan fights what look to be Chinese Junior high kids?

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just curious, why didn't you like them, and why not see the new one? Are your reasons related? I don't think the new one will be anything like the old ones.

..Wimpy Daniel-San takes lessons from a skilled practioneer of the MA for x amount of months and gains the skill to get into the ring and BEAT kids who have prolly been doing kumite since day one under the watchful eye of the cruel Kreese Sensei and WINS????

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
I really enjoyed the first movie when I saw it (I think I was maybe 13 at the time) and I think it holds up reasonably well. The second movie was also good, although not quite as good as the first.

The third one was horrendous. I didn't bother with the fourth movie.

I know some people are critical of Daniel-san learning karate well enough to beat all his opponents in, what?, 3 or 4 months. Yes, it's unbelievable. I do point out, however, that he did mention he had at least some training at a local Y before moving to California. It at least makes things a bit more realistic (but not much, granted).

Pax,

Chris

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I really enjoyed the first movie when I saw it (I think I was maybe 13 at the time) and I think it holds up reasonably well. The second movie was also good, although not quite as good as the first.

I know some people are critical of Daniel-san learning karate well enough to beat all his opponents in, what?, 3 or 4 months. Yes, it's unbelievable. I do point out, however, that he did mention he had at least some training at a local Y before moving to California. It at least makes things a bit more realistic (but not much, granted).

Pax,

Chris
He also had that book, don't forget the book.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
..Wimpy Daniel-San takes lessons from a skilled practioneer of the MA for x amount of months and gains the skill to get into the ring and BEAT kids who have prolly been doing kumite since day one under the watchful eye of the cruel Kreese Sensei and WINS????
There are Black Belts around that I know I can beat, some of them have been around much longer than me, that part... It is sensational, but, possible. Likely, no, probable, Hell no, but, possible, yeah.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
There are Black Belts around that I know I can beat, some of them have been around much longer than me, that part... It is sensational, but, possible. Likely, no, probable, Hell no, but, possible, yeah.

But how many of them get run ragged in class like Kreese ran HIS boys?

Who would DARE, given the current lawsuit culture?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
(My favourite thoughts about Karate Kid, and a few other films, courtesy of the greatest role model available today, Barney Stinson from How I Met Your Mother [Neil Patrick Harris])

Barney Stinson: Hey, The Karate Kid is a great movie.It’s the story of a hopeful, young karate enthusiast whose dreams and moxie take him all the way to the All Valley Karate Championship. Of course, sadly he loses in the final round to that nerd kid. But, he learns an important lesson about gracefully accepting defeat.
Lily Aldrin: Wait, when you watch The Karate Kid you actually root for that mean blonde boy?
Barney Stinson: No, I root for the scrawny loser from New Jersey who barely even knows karate. When I watch The Karate Kid I root for the karate kid, Johnny Lawrence from the Cobra Kai dojo. Get your head out of your *** Lily.
Marshall Eriksen: You're telling me that when you watch "The Karate Kid", you don't root for Daniel-san?
Ted Mosby: Who do you root for in "Die Hard"?
Barney Stinson: Hans Gruber. Charming international bandit. In the end, he dies hard. He's the title character.
Lily Aldrin: What about "The Breakfast Club"?
Barney Stinson: The teacher running detention. He's the only guy in the whole movie wearing a suit.
Robin Scherbatsky: I've got one. "The Terminator".
Barney Stinson: What's the name of the movie, Robin? Who among us did not shed a tear when his little red eye went out in the end, and he didn't get to kill all those people?
[Breaks down]
Barney Stinson: I'm sorry. I just get so emotional.
Ted Mosby: I am never watching a movie with you again.
Barney Stinson: They didn't even try to help him!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Pax,

Chris
It's actually not unreasonable -- if the focus was on function and fighting. As shown (wax on, wax off, paint the fence...)... Unlikely, except that it seems to be something that didn't go on longer than a week or so.

A couple of months of near-daily, several hours long and hard training... Yeah, you can get skills that'll hold up well in a fight. You won't have a highly refined kata or something like that...

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score

well if the movie actually had to show years of training it would be umpteen hours long.

actually I've a figure skating movie that does the same thing. Teenage girl who had trained a little when she was younger takes figure skating lessons over one summer and gets good enough over just one summer to take second place at the sectional championships *rolls eyes*

Unrealistic most of the time but I understand why they have to condense down the amount of time it takes to learn such training to make their point.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
well if the movie actually had to show years of training it would be umpteen hours long.
actually I've a figure skating movie that does the same thing. Teenage girl who had trained a little when she was younger takes figure skating lessons over one summer and gets good enough over just one summer to take second place at the sectional championships *rolls eyes*
Unrealistic most of the time but I understand why they have to condense down the amount of time it takes to learn such training to make their point.

I hear you man. What would work more for me is if Daniel already had a black belt but from a crap school with a bad Sensei so he's got the knowledge but not the whole package. Him meeting a new, great teacher would take the tools he already has and applies them correctly. Because we have all been in the position where we train with someone else and we get a different bit of coaching that suddenly supercharges what we already know.

JohnASE

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Who wants to see plausible movies about ordinary people doing realistic things?

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Who wants to see plausible movies about ordinary people doing realistic things?

(Sheepishly raises his hand)

.. oh.. was that a rhetorical question ..? :uhyeah:

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
"Fear does not exist in this dojo! Pain does not exist in this dojo! Defeat does not exist in this dojo. Does it?"

"No Sensei!"

"What is the way?"

"Strike first, strike hard, no mercy, SIR!"

I'm still trying to figure out the downside to the training methodology of installing a "warrior" attitude if you want guys to actually win a fight with some regularity.

Haakon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The first is a classic. The second is mediocre. The third was a waste of film. The fourth? OMG? Seriously? Ballroom dancing,bowling, Buddhists? WTF was that?

That's about what I think. The first one has been on cable the last couple of weeks so I've recently re-watched it. I was competeting in tournaments when the movie came out and wasn't so impressed with the rules in the tournament in the movie, but overall I liked it.

I'm looking forward to the new Karate Kid movie with Jackie Chan (even though I think they should call it something else) mainly because I really like Jackie Chan and will watch pretty much anything he's in.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wondered if when you first saw the movie when Mr Myagi told him 'wash the car' 'paint the fence ''sand the floor' and Daniel-san was doing the chores,

Who figured out the meaning behind the chores, what they were for, and who of you at first thought pretty much the same as Daniel-san did?

Myself, maybe because of the fact that I'd been doing karate six months before I saw the movie for the first time ever, and he was showing him how to move his hands, hold his wrists when painting the fence, etc. I watched it and thought 'Arm blocks!' Because it might not be exactly how we Shotokankas move our arms when blocking (cause that wasnt shotokan in the film) but it was similar!

Which one of you caught on right away and which of you took longer to figure it out?

I was curious.....

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just saw the trailer for the new Karate Kid move.. I now I feel like a hypocrite because it looked good and I will probaby see it..Leave me in my shame...LOL

Latest Discussions