The Philosophy of the Medicine Ball

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The medicine ball is round, large, and weighs ten pounds. It is designed to help build coordination, speed, dexterity, and to get one used to dynamic off-balance use of muscle and muscle impact.

Catching a hurled medicine ball with your face is not likely to produce positive results. Spitting blood for ten minutes does not make for a useful life lesson, except this; don't catch hurled medicine balls with your face. Hands are much more useful for this exercise. You probably do not need to ask me how I learned this valuable lesson in dojo tonight.

Class dismissed.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I generally try not to block punches with my face, or, god forbid, kicks with my groin. On Mondays, we spar, I failed on both counts tonight, but, at least I didn't catch a medicine ball with my face...

wushuguy

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I generally try not to block punches with my face, or, god forbid, kicks with my groin. On Mondays, we spar, I failed on both counts tonight, but, at least I didn't catch a medicine ball with my face...

reminds me of Kung Pow
Wimp Lo: Oh yeah? Then try my nuts to your fist style!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have always been found of kicking with the medicine ball but I do not like getting kicked in the face with one.

blink13

Green Belt
Reaction score
Bill, there is a good life lesson that comes from sticking a fork in an electrical outlet. Let me save you some time, though: don't do it.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball!

aka, be glad they weren't using wrenches...

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
Remember, a man who can catch a medicine ball with his face can accomplish...

anything.

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Much easier to remember: Once ball or other object is thrown,

1. Take 1 step to either right or left. The ball or wrench will fall, ( let gravity help you here, honest, it works every time!)
2. Wait for Ball to stop moving. (Friction will help you here, or a wall or what ever)
3. Retrieve at your leisure. ( you may chat to your fellow students or sensei as you stroll over to the ball.)
4. Pick up and return ball to original owner.

Do this often enough and they will stop throwing the ball at you. ( or should work if your Sensei isn't a Big Meenie :mst: )

Lori

Latest Discussions