The different points of a martial artist.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
beauty_in_the_sai said:
I heavily disagree with this. I don't really want to push to agruement, but on my opinion, Bruce Lee was one of the greatest martial artists to have ever lived. I feel I ought to defend my role model and the person who got me in martial arts in the first place. First off, the philosophy behind JKD is VERY good. If you limit yourself to one style, a person of many styles could easily beat you. I found that out all to well when I was ONLY a taekwondoist. Do I like JKD as a style? No, not really. However, the philosophy did not match the style.

Personally, I don't see what having a Black Belt is going to prove. Its the skills, the knowledge and the ability to apply those things that will help a person in a SD situation, not the color of the belt! I've seen some pretty poorly skilled BB's. I'm certainly not against cross training or cross referencing, as I do it myself. However, Im not concerned with running around with fancy rank, just so I can say that I have X number of Black Belts. I feel that its very important that a base art is established first. What is running around training in 20 different styles going to prove?

As far as black belt flashy tournament crap goes, most of it wouldn't work in real combat. Would you really try to do a jumping spinning roundhouse kick in a real fight? Uh.....no. Sure it looks nice in a performance, but a swift front snap kick to the balls will always get you out of a REAL fight (I know from experience). It doesn't look pretty but it works. That's what Bruce was getting at.

You're right. Much of what you see in tournaments is flash. The difference though is that you're comparing a tournament to a street fight. 2 very different things. Flash is whats needed to win the trophy, good, solid skill is what it takes to survive outside of that.

As far as mastering the basics of a style, let's go over the basics first: kick, punch, block, and stance. TADA! Sure there are little differences between styles, but not a whole lot. the only exception would be Judo, Aikido, and Jujutsu. I'm thinking of taking those after ninjutsu in case I get knocked down in a fight. We all (well most of us anyway) have 2 arms, 2 legs, 2 knees, and 2 elbows to strike with. In your first art when you are just starting in the world of martial arts you learn block, punch, kick, and stance. That, to me, is the basics. My motto is kick the guy in the balls, then it's over.

If you think that is all it takes to "Master" the basics, I think you need to re-evaluate your training and understanding of the arts. To study for a year, you're barely going to scratch the surface of what is really included in the art. Just because you learn the things you mentioned above, does not mean that you're going to be able to apply them. Whats the rush? Whats the need to gain as much rank as quickly as possible?

If you don't want me to make anymore such speeches, please don't talk bad about Bruce Lee. Believe it or not, some people care and are sensitive to that, especially if like me, they REALLY like him.

People are going to form their own opinions. Just because you like someone, does not mean that the next person is going to like him, and you need to understand and accept that. Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion.

Mike

OP
M

muffin_cup_of_death

Technopunk said:
Hey there Muffin, I have a Question, I need some clarification... in another thread you commented that Traditional Martial Artists and Tournament based Martial Artists are all a Joke... but here you are saying your Wife (whom I have nothing against, she's a great member here) Knows what she is talking about... Because she studied TaeKwonDo and has a black belt.

But Tae Kwon Do is a traditional art, AND a tournament based one too...

So which is it? Is she brillaint and does she know what she is talking about, or is she a Joke because her training is in TKD???

:idunno:

Technopunk,

If my husband and I agreed on everything, life would be boring. My TKD was half tradition, half modern sparring. I've taken 3 guys out to date with my taekwondo, even saved one of my friends from getting raped with it once. He's more of a modern, liberal martial artist and he has nothing against TKD. I'm a half modern, half traditial. I like the tradition and history behind martial arts, but when I fight, it's all modern. My black belt in TKD just means I spent 5 years in it. Am I good? Compared to my husband, no. Compared to the average Joe, yes, I think so. My training isn't only in TKD anyway. I also do ninjutsu, JKD, and am looking into starting jujutsu.

As for Kroh's coment:

"Te middle part however is something I tend to have issue with as people tend to sensationalize things at times. While I respect that Bruce Lee is your role model, there are MANY people who do what he did. There is a Japanese swordsman that lived a long time ago that wrote this book. Every one who knows anything about swordsmanship from Japan or even the way the Japanese do business know who I am talking about. My jujutsu instructor used to tell us all the time when we would practice sword method ..."

There's not anyone who'ho did what Bruce did for ME. No one else infleunced me to get into martial arts. What he did for me is beyond other martial artists, except maybe my first instructor.

Due to the fact I don't like to argue as much as my husband and I don't want to get kicked off my favorite site, I'm not going to write anymore on this thread. It is more honorable to agree to disagree and live and let live. Obviously, we are never going to agree or share the same opinion. The world would be a boring place if we did. We are all martial artists and I respect everyone's opinion, even if I disagree. So ask no more questions, for I won't look at this thread again so that I won't have the urge to retaliate. My husbands not going to either if you people can't understand our views and opinions on martial arts are different than yours and respect that.

Becky

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
muffin_cup_of_death said:
Technopunk,

If my husband and I agreed on everything, life would be boring. My TKD was half tradition, half modern sparring. I've taken 3 guys out to date with my taekwondo, even saved one of my friends from getting raped with it once. He's more of a modern, liberal martial artist and he has nothing against TKD. I'm a half modern, half traditial. I like the tradition and history behind martial arts, but when I fight, it's all modern. My black belt in TKD just means I spent 5 years in it. Am I good? Compared to my husband, no. Compared to the average Joe, yes, I think so. My training isn't only in TKD anyway. I also do ninjutsu, JKD, and am looking into starting jujutsu.

Becky, I believe my question was aimed at your Husband... HE said that Traditional Arts (Which TKD AND NINJUTSU both are) AND tournament based arts (again, TKD) are useless wastes of time. So rather than address me and tell ME that you have beat people up and saved your friend, maybe thats a Discussion for the TWO OF YOU.

I just want HIS answer on why he would say that and then claim its not true when talking about YOU... obviously he's A) Lying to you about how he feels, or B) Just being hypocritical.

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
beauty_in_the_sai said:
As far as black belt flashy tournament crap goes, most of it wouldn't work in real combat. Would you really try to do a jumping spinning roundhouse kick in a real fight? Uh.....no. Sure it looks nice in a performance, but a swift front snap kick to the balls will always get you out of a REAL fight (I know from experience). It doesn't look pretty but it works. That's what Bruce was getting at.

Becky

I hope you don't really believe that a groin kick will always end a fight. Take it from someone who has been kicked there. If you are going to kick someone there, you had better be ready to follow up with other strikes. Many men become filled with a rage you cannot comprehend, myself included. Yes it is painful, and it may drop some guys, but it may also get you the beat down of the century.

HKF

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
There was a post in the Women's forum about that a few weeks ago. The long and short of it is that a groin shot induces pain but is not debilitating, In a time of stress and adrenline and pressure, people react to pain a lot differently and many will not immediately notice. So any technique ment to induce pain needs to be followed up with something that will prevent the person from continuing the fight. You have to beat them physiologically, not just psychologically. Groin shots are more pain than true damage

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
There was a post in the WOmen's forum about that a few weeks ago. The long and short of it is that a gropin shot induces pain but is not debilitating, In a time of stress and adrenline and pressure, people react to pain a lot differently and many will not immediately notice. So any technique ment to induce pain needs to be followed up with something that will prevent the person from continuing the fight. You have to beat them physiologically, not just psychologically. Groin shots are more pain than true damage
that's a very good point. And you have to remember women are vulnerable to that same shot. Reality is, very few times are you going to get a clean shot to the groin. Only in the movies are you likely to pull it off.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You have to crush the testicle(s) for one shot at the groin to work in ending the fight - that involves proper angle and opportune position of the recipient - not likely in stand-up. Possible, but not likely.

It can take up to 8 seconds for pain to register and much can and will happen during that time. Then there are those fellas to whom these strikes mean nothing. So, yeah - Plan B.

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
muffin_cup_of_death said:
There's not anyone who did what Bruce did for ME. No one else infleunced me to get into martial arts. What he did for me is beyond other martial artists, except maybe my first instructor.

Cool...That's all I was looking for...Good luck in your training.
Regards,
Walt