Looking for more information on DanZan Ryu JuJitsu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
Well, it is awfully hard to do a slow fall. Anybody know how to talk to gravity about slowing it down?
You could always practice your breakfalls on the moon! The gravity is only 1/11th that of Earth. Now THAT is what I call slowing it down. :supcool:

Ceicei said:
Anyway, I've heard it said that the best fall is when you are completely off the ground :rolleyes: . I :idunno: about that.
That is eventually where the system of breakfalls go. All of them in the air. I really like the ukemi in DZR. Their system is comprehensive and it really teaches one to do them well.

Ceicei said:
What my instructor is advising us to do is to fall from a "shorter" distance and then increase that distance.
This is essentially what I was trying to suggest above, but it did not come out the way I wanted it too.

Ceicei said:
Maybe I am in too much of a hurry since I really want to learn this well. I also know I am not relaxed enough--it is kind of like a vicious cycle, I don't like to fall because of the possibility of getting hurt (since bad falls can make recovery longer), and not doing the falls properly is doing just that, getting myself hurt. <sigh> I do enjoy rolls though. They're fun! I need to remind myself again that time and patience are the best process in setting up the correct fundamentals and basics.
You'll eventually get it...and it will even start to become fun to be uke! Keep up the good work!

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My left shoulder and leg are doing much better. I had lost the strength of my arm/leg temporarily. The muscle pulls apparently are short lived, the pain lasting only a week and a half. I am glad the muscle pulls were not as bad as some may suggest. It feels good to have my left side functioning again and I am now able to punch and kick just as hard.

I am doing the breakfalls much better with less tension, so I feel satisfied with my progress.

However, I still get confused with which foot to end up doing forward rolls. If I start with the left arm down, am I supposed to finish with the left leg, or with the opposite side? I had previously learned from kenpo the forward rolls with line going from one shoulder to the opposite hip. Now with Danzan, the line appears to be on the same side?

I am learning much, but some things puzzle me (from a kenpo point of view). I learned the open palmed "double-hand slap down" (my description) and "double-hand slap up" (I don't know the proper Danzan terms for these). Basically when a person throws a low punch, double-hands would slap the fist down. With a high punch would have the double-hands slapping upward.

The www.danzan.com doesn't give me enough information to identify them. Their definition of defenses are too brief and general for me to pinpoint what they may be. I suppose the longer I study, I will be able to understand more. The problem is that I am deaf and I cannot figure out what words are associated with certain actions when my instructor says them.

Thank you,

Ceicei

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
My left shoulder and leg are doing much better. I had lost the strength of my arm/leg temporarily. The muscle pulls apparently are short lived, the pain lasting only a week and a half. I am glad the muscle pulls were not as bad as some may suggest. It feels good to have my left side functioning again and I am now able to punch and kick just as hard.

I am doing the breakfalls much better with less tension, so I feel satisfied with my progress.

I'm glad your all healed up and ready to go again. Great attitude! Way to get back at it.

However, I still get confused with which foot to end up doing forward rolls. If I start with the left arm down, am I supposed to finish with the left leg, or with the opposite side? I had previously learned from kenpo the forward rolls with line going from one shoulder to the opposite hip. Now with Danzan, the line appears to be on the same side?

The mechanics of the roll fall are still diagonal. The leg opposite the arm that is down should be bent to spread the surface area of the side of the leg and absorb inpact. Meanwhile, the same side leg should land lightly on the ball of the foot in order to facillitate getting back up quicker.

I am learning much, but some things puzzle me (from a kenpo point of view). I learned the open palmed "double-hand slap down" (my description) and "double-hand slap up" (I don't know the proper Danzan terms for these). Basically when a person throws a low punch, double-hands would slap the fist down. With a high punch would have the double-hands slapping upward.

I'm not quite understanding "double slap up" or "double slap down" and I need a little more info to be really helpful. This sounds like a couple of different techniques on various lists.

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
I'm not quite understanding "double slap up" or "double slap down" and I need a little more info to be really helpful. This sounds like a couple of different techniques on various lists.

Well, I think I finally learned the name for it. It is something like Ryo Ote Yuke. I probably butchered the spelling. It is supposed to be a type of a block.

- Ceicei

B

bMunky

I'm in a DZR Jujitsu class, it's my first ever martial arts class and I'm enjoying it a lot. In a few weeks I have my first belt test. In are class we dont practice any strikes if we do it's just when to apply them and it's usually always an open handed attack. So far in this semester class has been really fun, are sensei is great and knows what shes talking about. So far we've learned a lot of the Yawara, all the break falls, front and back throws pretty much everything to get to yellow belt, as of now where just trying to get em down pat. How is everyone's else belt system, are's is like this after the first half a year you can test for yellow belt, the next half of year you can test for orange, than in a year you can test for blue, and in another year you can test for brown and every year after that till 3rd degree and than one more year for black belt. It's at our college and our sensei goes by semester and two semsters is a year and if you go in the summer you can add another semester to speed up the training process. I plan on going all year around, I'll soo be in capoeira classes too.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bMunky said:
we've learned a lot of the Yawara

I always think of the weapon when I hear this term, yet I know it also describes a jujutsu system. What exactly does it mean here?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I always think of the weapon when I hear this term, yet I know it also describes a jujutsu system. What exactly does it mean here?

Yawara emphasizes technique over power. I've heard it described as softness or gentleness or yeilding to win.

B

bMunky

upnorthkyosa said:
Yawara emphasizes technique over power. I've heard it described as softness or gentleness or yeilding to win.

Well, I think yawara means hand if I can remember correctly from my japanese language class and the yawara-bo is a hand or pocket stick so yawara = hand and bo = stick. And as I look at at my yellow belt requiremnet sheet it says yawara - hand arts

Latest Discussions