The Decline of the British Empire continues

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Lethal Star Trek blade seized in knives amnesty

Last updated at 10:10 25 May 2006
The Daily Mail
Excerpt:

This horrifying five-foot weapon has been recovered by police during a knife amnesty.
The three-handled sword with a blade at either end, designed to be swung like a paddle, shocked officers who took custody of it.
((SNIP))
The blade is believed to be a stainless-steel copy of a Klingon weapon used in the science fiction series Star Trek. "It's an extremely dangerous weapon," said a martial arts expert last night.
((END EXCERPT))
A martial arts expert? Expert in Klingon martial arts?

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Another flatly stupid comment from the article:
"We all know a knife can kill just as easily as a gun so there is a great anomaly there. A knife amnesty on its own won't be a solution."
I'm going phesant hunting next month, I'll be using nothing but a replica 1860 US Army cavalry saber, I'm sure I'll get my limit...

Last edited by a moderator:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the fact the article is from the Mail and the fact that you chose to post it up tells us here in the UK everything we need to know about you.
BTW didn't you know there hasn't been a British Empire for a very long time now?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the fact the article is from the Mail and the fact that you chose to post it up tells us here in the UK everything we need to know about you.
BTW didn't you know there hasn't been a British Empire for a very long time now?
Not being British, I don't get what the reference about the paper telling all means...

But I am kind of curious about posting something from May...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not being British, I don't get what the reference about the paper telling all means...

The Mail is a right wing anti Labour and anti Government newspaper that spends as much money and time on discrediting the government as it can. It worships Maggie Thatcher and if she hasn't done or said it it's no good. Famously during the last war it campaigned not to allow Jews in as refugees, it still has an anti semitic overtones as well as rascist. its rabidly anti Europe ( as well as often anti USA) and always campaigns for the Tory party.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The Mail is a right wing anti Labour and anti Government newspaper that spends as much money and time on discrediting the government as it can. It worships Maggie Thatcher and if she hasn't done or said it it's no good. Famously during the last war it campaigned not to allow Jews in as refugees, it still has an anti semitic overtones as well as rascist. its rabidly anti Europe ( as well as often anti USA) and always campaigns for the Tory party.
So, then your remarks are based in your bias against the bias you perceive in them. Tells me all I need to know about you.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So, then your remarks are based in your bias against the bias you perceive in them. Tells me all I need to know about you.

Sounds familiar.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Easy now, ladies and gentlemen. "Debate the subject" is a core tenet of MartialTalks regulations.

Taking personal shots at each other will only get people slapped left and right (huzzar, multiple meanings efficiency :D) and get the thread either locked or deleted.

I actually agree that the incident is worthy of being held up for public ridicule but you could've chosen a more tactful title tho', Don. I'm guessing you can't change it at this stage?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another flatly stupid comment from the article:

I'm going phesant hunting next month, I'll be using nothing but a replica 1860 US Army cavalry saber, I'm sure I'll get my limit...

Context is important:
Frances Lawrence, whose husband was killed at the gates of his school in north London in 1995, said three different ministers have been in charge of crime in the past three weeks and information from the Home Office is confusing.
Mrs Lawrence said: "There is an anomaly between the legislation for knife crime and gun crime, where gun crime carries much stiffer penalties.
"We all know a knife can kill just as easily as a gun so there is a great anomaly there. A knife amnesty on its own won't be a solution."

This is not a official position, or even the newspapers position. This is the position of someone whose husband was killed by a knife. Expecting her to be unbiased is rather unrealistic don't you think?

This is also not the first newspaper to use a rather biased person with a personal involvement in the subject to get there quote from.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I'm also curious about posting something that's 2 years old :idunno:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I actually agree that the incident is worthy of being held up for public ridicule but you could've chosen a more tactful title tho', Don. I'm guessing you can't change it at this stage?

Just in case later readers get the idea that I'm incredibly thin-skinned, the thread title has been changed to something a little less inflammatory :rei:.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many Americans, correction, just about all Americans would be, rightly, on their high horse if a non American continually looked for and posted negative articles from the gutter press to discredit their country.
On a forum that prides itself on tolerance we find constant digs at Britain couched in terms that are offensive posted by the same person.
Non British people taking these newspaper articles at face value not knowing which papers owe allegiance to which party will get the false impression. Mr. Lawrence was a much loved and well respected headmaster who was stabbed to death outside his school gates trying to break up a fight. It is disrespectful and distasteful to mock his widow's comments.
Incidentally the killing of the special constable Nisha Patel-Nasri turned out not to be connected with knife crime, her husband actually killed her so he could go off with a prostitute who worked for them, it also turned out she and her husband were running prostitutes and a debt collection 'business' where she'd turn up in uniform threatening debtors.
Mock our laws and the way we do things here but remember the saying about people in glass houses.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's just one newpaper columnists view 2 years ago. If a week is a long time in politics what's 2 years lol!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Revolutionary war tension aside I do not think that a bat'leth would be all that legal on either side of the Atlantic and if it is off the street that is a good thing.

And if anyone wishes they only need to go to any number of US trash mags and see that it is likely that that very bat'leth came from the aliens that took Elvis and built the great pyramid of Atlantis which now sits under the Ocean in the Bermuda triangle

It is apparently a 2 year old article form a less than reputable paper but regardless the bat'leth is no longer on the streets now is it. Is there likely more bat'leths out there? I would guess yes in both England and the US.

This is getting silly folks so Qapla'

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We tend not to have weapons like that on the street, we have so much rain they get rusty very quickly! It's why small knives have always been popular, they can be put in pockets.

Quote Farmers across the UK have seen their businesses hit by rain for the second summer in a row as the country faced its wettest August for nearly 100 years.

The UK totted up 95mm of rain for the first 17 days of August, compared with an average of 85mm for the whole month. Unquote

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
We tend not to have weapons like that on the street, we have so much rain they get rusty very quickly! It's why small knives have always been popular, they can be put in pockets.

Quote Farmers across the UK have seen their businesses hit by rain for the second summer in a row as the country faced its wettest August for nearly 100 years.

The UK totted up 95mm of rain for the first 17 days of August, compared with an average of 85mm for the whole month. Unquote

But it is a Klingon weapon...those are tougher and they resist rust :D

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Many Americans, correction, just about all Americans would be, rightly, on their high horse if a non American continually looked for and posted negative articles from the gutter press to discredit their country.
In your first diatribe, you made the mail sound like how liberals in the US describe Fox News, now you try to make it sound like some trashy tabloid
On a forum that prides itself on tolerance we find constant digs at Britain couched in terms that are offensive posted by the same person.
That is a load of crap, and you know it. I have never made digs at the people or nation, ONLY at the policies. Would that you could say the same.
Non British people taking these newspaper articles at face value not knowing which papers owe allegiance to which party will get the false impression. Mr. Lawrence was a much loved and well respected headmaster who was stabbed to death outside his school gates trying to break up a fight. It is disrespectful and distasteful to mock his widow's comments.
In my book an idiotic statement, such as Mrs Lawrence's, is an idiotic statement, regardless of how loved or respected her husband may or may not have been.
Incidentally the killing of the special constable Nisha Patel-Nasri turned out not to be connected with knife crime, her husband actually killed her so he could go off with a prostitute who worked for them, it also turned out she and her husband were running prostitutes and a debt collection 'business' where she'd turn up in uniform threatening debtors.
Mock our laws and the way we do things here but remember the saying about people in glass houses.
I'm sorry, have you somehow missed EVERY comment I have ever made here? Oh, no, you just read it through eyes colored by your own prejudices.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Revolutionary war tension aside I do not think that a bat'leth would be all that legal on either side of the Atlantic and if it is off the street that is a good thing.

And if anyone wishes they only need to go to any number of US trash mags and see that it is likely that that very bat'leth came from the aliens that took Elvis and built the great pyramid of Atlantis which now sits under the Ocean in the Bermuda triangle

It is apparently a 2 year old article form a less than reputable paper but regardless the bat'leth is no longer on the streets now is it. Is there likely more bat'leths out there? I would guess yes in both England and the US.

This is getting silly folks so Qapla'
Anyone taking a replica from a science fiction series seriously has issues.

Latest Discussions