The Bible, Faith & Martial Arts

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also for the record I've never once said the Bible was 100% accurate. I believe I said it was written by men recalling what they saw heard were told and witnessed. It's inspired by God who guided the authors but as I said a few pages ago the finer details could be lost to time and translation but the main points are correct. Just like if I were to write about my day I may leave out or get minor details wrong but the general story will be correct. Which is also why we study the bible and other texts and documents from the time. To learn the context and meaning. You keep making the claim that I said the Bible is 100% and I never said that. Nothing could ever give you 100% Accra te details other then I guess a video camera recording Jesus himself which we don't have. I do however know the general gist of the Bible to be correct.

I am aware who said what. In this thread, it was oftheheard who claimed that the bible is 100% literal truth. But it's certainly a common enough assertion, and since we were not in a private conversation, my comments were and are less specific than they would be in private.

If your position is that the bible is a text written in the context of the culture it was written for, then I have no argument. I'd say that is pretty much the only rational way to view it.
As a social contract, the 10 commandments make a lot of sense. And there are plenty of other parts of the Christian bible that make sense. Just as there are plenty of things in the Torah and the Koran and the teachings of Odin that make sense.

There is also plenty in each of them that is complete nonsense, or at least complete nonsense in THIS culture.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sure. How about the claim that bats are mammals? That leprosy has something to do with being "unclean"? That disease is a punishment from god? That Jesus rose from the dead (making him either the first "documented" zombie or vampire...)? That Noah somehow managed to fit 2 of every species on earth in a wooden ship? That a god (with or without long white beard) exists?

Here's some more:

Old Testament oddities - RationalWiki :)

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am aware who said what. In this thread, it was oftheheard who claimed that the bible is 100% literal truth. But it's certainly a common enough assertion, and since we were not in a private conversation, my comments were and are less specific than they would be in private.
There is a difference between 100% true and being a true document. The general gist is true the eyewitness accounts are true. The finer detail may be fuzzy.
If your position is that the bible is a text written in the context of the culture it was written for, then I have no argument. I'd say that is pretty much the only rational way to view it.
I'm not saying it should be disregard as antiquated or Irrelevent in modern times. The teaching are still very relevant
As a social contract, the 10 commandments make a lot of sense. And there are plenty of other parts of the Christian bible that make sense. Just as there are plenty of things in the Torah and the Koran and the teachings of Odin that make sense.
Except there are no eyewitness accounts of Odin ever walking the earth there is plenty of evidence showing Jesus was here.
There is also plenty in each of them that is complete nonsense, or at least complete nonsense in THIS culture.
There is plenty in modern day existence that we can't make sense of. Just because it doesn't make sense doest mean it didn't happen. Humans coming from matter+time+chance is just as nonsensical as what the Bible says happened but one of them is correct you have your belief and I have mine

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is plenty in modern day existence that we can't make sense of. Just because it doesn't make sense doest mean it didn't happen. Humans coming from matter+time+chance is just as nonsensical as what the Bible says happened but one of them is correct you have your belief and I have mine

Actually we came from the apes. Here, have a banana. Ook ook!

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you are truly curious, The Ancestor's Tale makes for good and interesting reading on this very subject.
Not really time+chance+matter is all the same no matter who authors the book. It's all the same. And nobody can say where matter and time came from and thinking we are all just here by chance I don't agree with

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not really time+chance+matter is all the same no matter who authors the book. It's all the same. And nobody can say where matter and time came from and thinking we are all just here by chance I don't agree with

You asked where apes came from.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just for clarification, Evolutionary science does not claim man evolved from and ape, for just the reason you allude to, but they do claim a common ancestor. :)

I didn't make the claim someone else did. I was asking them to expand