Creationist Kids - their faith vs science

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This is weird. I just got this e-mail from a student...

It shows that she is at least trying to comply with my request that she back what she is saying up with some sort of evidence and reasoning.

Do I attempt to show that this is not good evidence or good reasoning?
Actually, it shows very good reasoning; it just doesn't show the scientific method. Perhaps that is something to go in to - a discussion of what the scientific method entails, so they can understand that, in a scientific discussion, those are the 'groundrules' that must be used for establishing or invalidating a theory. This doesn't negate the validity of other types of evidence (personal experience, historical, prophecy, etc.), either.

Also, note the acronym. That tells me that there is some other authority at work, encouraging the students to challenge their teachers at school.
Not necessarily. The Internet is filled with references pro/con on atheism/theism, evolution/creationism, apologetics, and evangelism. If a student is trying to debate or 'score points', then that is clearly out of line, no matter where it's coming from. But please keep in mind that, if these kids are as evangelical as you imply, then there will be some who are genuinely concerned about your spiritual well-being, and will be praying for you and looking for resources to help you (again, keep in mind the difficulty of distinguishing between core issues and peripheral issues). A lot of these types of resources also help to solidify an understanding of the 'why' and 'how' of faith in their own minds.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It makes you wonder if anyone has published a book on 'The Science of the Bible'. I know I have seen books that cover the science of Star Trek or the science of Harry Potter. You have to wonder how one might explain Joshua being able to see the entire world from the top of a tree.

I've read two such "books." The first was called "The Case for Christianity." Given to me by a former girlfriend trying to convert me. It was a very nonreligious guy who started interviewing religious figures trying to better understand and possibly disprove their theories and ended up being converted himself.

The other was a pamphlet left in the restroom at work actually called "The Science of the Bible." I was very disappointed by it....it was published by an evangelical christian organization. The "science" that it included was basically hearsay, bad logic, and even worse conclusions. It was also largely unprovable.

I would also like to see a good book based on the real science of the bible.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've decided to treat these claims just like any other claim in science. If someone claims that the world is 6000 years old, I'm going to ask for scientific evidence of this claim. If they decide to provide some, then I'm going to compare it with what exists that shows the Earth is much older. This is going to debunk the opinion, but I think that it's also going to teach some important lessons.

1. When is a person wrong and when is a person right? Often times in our society, in order to be inclusive, we try to embrace every position equally. This doesn't happen in society. Science is a competition of ideas. You are not entitled to believe something just because it's important to you. If the reasoning doesn't stand, then according to the rules, it must be discarded.

2. That this process can be done without ridicule. Rarely does the media show a calm, rationale, and respectful person winning an argument. Mostly, all we see is the cocky, brash, and haughty person taking care of business in such a way that his opponents slink away embarressed. Modeling the difference between former and "pwnage" and showing them that this is how adults should be arguing with each other is a good lesson.

One of the things that I strive to do in my classroom is to create an environment where people are welcome to share their opinions. I try to make it a safe place, free from ridicule, so that everyone it welcome to speak. Hopefully, the comparison between viewpoints won't jeopardize this.

Latest Discussions