The basic's forms

kailat

Green Belt
Reaction score
BRETT

I know exactly wich forms you are reffering too sir..

these forms are also refferred to as the Kicho yi bu, ill bu, san bu, etc..
in the korean arts..

in the more japanese systems they are called Taikiyoku forms ie, Taikiyokusho, taikiyokuni, taikiyokusan

AKA what many american karate or american tkd schools refer to as BASIC KATA 1, 2, 3. If there are more than those 3 than forgive me as Im not familiar w/ them.

My system of Korean Karate or also known as American Karate-Do teaches them as white belt to yellow belt forms along w/ the 4th kata as Chongi an older ITF form.

At any rate the basic kata you refer to is as follows (each has 20 movements)

BASIC 1-Taikiyokusho- Keechoillbu

Turn left front stance, low block. step right front stance, right reverse middle punch.

turn counter clockwise 180 degrees right front stance low block, step left front stance middle reverse punch.

turn 90 degrees to middle low block (left front stance), execute 3 walking front stances middle reverse punches.

Again turn 180 degrees and repeat the same as the bottom movement, then again back down center use the same 3 middle reverse punches end w/ front stance low block again.

BASIC 2 - Keecho Ibu- Taikiyokuni

same form except u execute high punches to the facial area, and use 3 high blocks down middle.

Basic 3 - Keecho sanbu- Taikiyokusan

Backstance middle forarm block- reverse punch both sides
execute 3 horse stances w/ LUNGE punches down center etc...

If these are the forms your reffering too.. they are very old forms and still taught today pretty prevelent in the MID WESTERN states such as ILLINOIS, INDANA, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, KY etc...

truthfully I have not a lot of information on these forms as to whre they were created etc.. I was understood they were old shotokan forms or "blue cottage" forms.. thats really all i know. after those forms we go into
CHONJI, DOSAN (ITF TKD POOMSE) then we go into the color ranks learn the PINAN kata shodan thru godan. The Brown -black belt forms are Naihanchisho and Bassaisho

where are you from sir? Just so i can verify

here is a youtube clip of taikiyokusho please can you verify this is what your reffering to?

in fact here's all 3 ; )

(OK after review of this clip, the 3rd form is ran a bit differently than we do it. they do 3 reverse punches down center rather we do 3 lunge punches w/ horse stances down center.. : ) who's right, who's wrong.. don't really matter i guess..

Last edited by a moderator:

kailat

Green Belt
Reaction score
BRETT did you see these videos? Is this what your talking about????

TKDHermit

Green Belt
Reaction score
unrelated[i suppose] note: taikyoku in japanese is taegeuk in korean.

kailat

Green Belt
Reaction score
"unrelated[i suppose] note: taikyoku in japanese is taegeuk in korean. "

>> Interesting... If they are the same, why are the Taegeuk poomse different than the taikyoku kata? Or is there some other reason behind this?

I know that Keecho's are the exact same forms as the Taikyoku forms.. one being of korean and the other of japanese.. Im assuming ie, from Funokoshi and the affiliation of the "blue cottage system"

TKDHermit

Green Belt
Reaction score
no idea. they probably share the same concept/philosophy behind the naming but designed differently?

Latest Discussions