The basic's forms

Bret Hinds

Green Belt
Reaction score
Does your school, do the basic forms one thru eight? our school does one thru five for rank and six,seven,and eight for fun. All the best in the arts

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does your school, do the basic forms one thru eight? our school does one thru five for rank and six,seven,and eight for fun. All the best in the arts

Which "basic forms" are you referring to? There are several different types. Can you clarify?

OP
B

Bret Hinds

Green Belt
Reaction score
Basic one is a down block with a punch,two is a up block with punch,three is a outside inside block with punch. not to be confused with Pal-Gwe or Tae-Kook the patterns are almost the same as the Pal-Gwe's. The upper basic's are differt combo moves with the same type of pattern's as one.two.and three. I hope that was some help. Thank you for your response.All the best in the arts

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Basic one is a down block with a punch,two is a up block with punch,three is a outside inside block with punch. not to be confused with Pal-Gwe or Tae-Kook the patterns are almost the same as the Pal-Gwe's. The upper basic's are differt combo moves with the same type of pattern's as one.two.and three. I hope that was some help. Thank you for your response.All the best in the arts

Usually, the term 'forms' is used for complete patterns with sequences of twenty, thirty or more moves in fixed order. What you're describing sounds like arrangements of pairs of single-technique movements together. We teach sequences of defensive moves against predetermined strikes—against a roundhouse punch, for example, (i) a double knifehand 'block', the inner deflecting the punch and the outer striking the attacker's neck, followed by stepping in and delivering a (ii) knifehand to the throat; there are similar drills, which we try to work under 'live' conditions, involving a deflection, followed by stepping in with a spearing elbow strike to the face, followed by a 'turning' elbow strike, rotating the opposite way, to the attacker's chest or base of his throat... that sort of thing. We don't call these SD technique sequences 'forms', but maybe that's what they correspond to in your school? Are these sequences you're describing intended as programmed responses to particular kinds of attack?

Last edited:

karatemom

Green Belt
Reaction score
My current form (Gwang-Gae) has 39 movements.
We also practice basic blocks and kicks, in addition to combinations (series of kicks/punches).

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

This sounds like what we refer to as one-step sparring. My instructor actually stopped teaching that before I was at the rank to start learning them, which for us was green belt at the time. I never learned what the movements were for TKD, but I've been to other types of schools that would teach similar techniques, and that's what it sounds like you're describing.

In class, does your instructor call them out as Basic 1? Or do you know if there is a "technical" term for them?

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Could he be refering to "kibons"? To me, sounds like he is desribing one-steps w/o a partner! Need more specificity.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Could he be refering to "kibons"? To me, sounds like he is desribing one-steps w/o a partner! Need more specificity.

Yes, that's what it sounded like to me too...

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If as he said the pattern is almost the same as Pal-Gwe or Tae-Kook then he may be referring to the opening moves of the form, or the predominate moves of that form

it dose sound alot like one step also

OP
B

Bret Hinds

Green Belt
Reaction score
The patterns I am talking about has 20 moves. a block and counter moving in a pattern like the Pal-Gwe. Forming a letter I or H . I was told that they were one long pattern with 160 moves in all. But hey I can be wrong. I guess this a kwan thing not a open set like the common forms. THANK YOU to all that repley. All the best of the arts

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The patterns I am talking about has 20 moves. a block and counter moving in a pattern like the Pal-Gwe. Forming a letter I or H . I was told that they were one long pattern with 160 moves in all. But hey I can be wrong. I guess this a kwan thing not a open set like the common forms. THANK YOU to all that repley. All the best of the arts

There are 2 "basics H pattern" forms that I know of. The first one only uses a low block & a punch (both in front stance) throughout the entire form. It had 18-20 movements in it. It was the 1st form I learned as a white belt. I have only seen the 2nd in a book. I've never heard of more than 2 of these types of forms.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are 2 "basics H pattern" forms that I know of. The first one only uses a low block & a punch (both in front stance) throughout the entire form. It had 18-20 movements in it. It was the 1st form I learned as a white belt. I have only seen the 2nd in a book. I've never heard of more than 2 of these types of forms.

Could he be talking about the Kichos??

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I believe some TSD schools have as many as six. You go increase the number as you wish by simply substituting the blocking and attacking techniques, like an outside block with a side kick for example.

<shrugs> I think the kicho forms are overkill frankly. I just use moving basics myself and try to think of some combinations that are both difficult and practical.

OP
B

Bret Hinds

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thank you to all that replied, I guess most schools do a form of basic one and two. I have not seen a video of these basic form's. Maybe we should make one. All the best in the arts

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you to all that replied, I guess most schools do a form of basic one and two. I have not seen a video of these basic form's. Maybe we should make one. All the best in the arts

That would make it much, much easier for us to identify what it is you're describing, Bret... it wouldn't have to be anything fancy, just something YouTubable would do.

Latest Discussions