The Arts i plan on mastering / What is Mastering really mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
M

Master of Blades

Great Post Kaith.......I think that pretty much sums up the whole matter :asian:

OP
J

J-kid

Well i believe you can become a master By mastering teaching ablity , all the skills , the technics and the grace of the art. I dont believe in ******** chi maybe you do thats fine. I am christen and that would be against my relegion. But for anyone else who wants to believe in it thats fine and i wish you the best of luck shooting fire balls or what not. I believe it takes a good time to master the arts but it can be done and i will do it. Best of luck to you all Judo-kid.

OP
C

chufeng

"I dont believe in ******** chi maybe you do thats fine. I am christen and that would be against my relegion."

The spelling is Christian (note the capitalized first letter)...
...and you'd best go back and READ your scriptures...there is nothing in there about NOT believeing in qi...magic is NOT the same thing as a natural God-given ability (one that we all possess).

Good training and good luck.

:asian:
chufeng

OP
J

J-kid

Read the bible and yes there is, Just like where not suppost to bow.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
See this thread for more on bowing and Christianity.

When I started reading the New Testament in the original Koine Greek it was quite a schock to see that the word God was not capitalized! It was a different language of course but it takes some getting used to at first.

Back on topic, Judo-kid mentions teaching ability as part of what it takes to be a master of an art--do people agree?

OP
F

fissure

Back on topic, Judo-kid mentions teaching ability as part of what it takes to be a master of an art--do people agree?

No. I think the ability to be a good teacher is a function of personality. I have seen probationary BBs, who were far better at communicating ideas and principals than I am. I have a hard time putting myself in the shoes of a novice - I have to fight the urge to become frustrated. I honestly don't like teaching ( I only do it to help my best friend, who owns and operates the school) and sometimes lead the class into things they may not be ready for. I often expect that someone should simply understand how a tech. should "feel", which is of course unrealistic for a new practitioner. Having said that, I in no way consider myself to be a master of anything. Maybe if I become one, my teaching will improve.

white belt

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Judo Kid,

There is the bow defined as a type of handshake greeting and there is the bow defined as submitting to anothers will. A Christian won't go to hell for shaking hands, last I checked anyway. If you bow to anothers ill intended will, or a different philosophys doctrine, then yeah, you are not trustworthy in that system of beliefs arena. If I say "Ship Pal Gae" to my Korean friends, they are blushing to say the least, but they are smart enough to know I mean the Martial Art. The "h" in Ship is supposed to be silent. If not, then it describes a certain sex act. Does that make me "evil"? Bottom line is, you just need to reexamine things, as you go along in life, like all of us. You make better sense of your surroundings and you find that the true thing we all must master is who/what we ourselves are. By mastering myself, all other doors then become better accessable. By focusing on a Martial Arts mastery, an illusion is used in the beginning, to help put us on the path of mastering ourselves. The titles become less important as you progress. Kind of like finally biting into the cereal after reading the colorful box. You want to someday "show us" by winning a title or titles. That is an attempt to seek others approval and admiration. That is not a bad thing on the surface, but somehow you have mistaken us for someone else who was once or still is important to you. Us. Perfect stangers. Doesn't that tell you that your very admirable load of energy needs a more applicable home or target? Who would that be? Only you know for sure. And from the fervor posted, they really must be important to you. Your training frantically is for more than you realize maybe?

You remember Jens Pulver's speech after he beat BJ Penn for the title? It was a classic case study of something called "projection". He broke down in front of the cameras and he rambled about his Father beating him when he was young and cried about not being accepted. Jens, in my opinion, was using his sparring partners and opponents as substitutes or surrogates in a deep seated need to fight back against his Father after the rejections and possibly gain some acceptance from him. The surrogates were all he had. I felt bad for that young man. He just won the UFC championship and I felt lucky I was not him. That void is now propelling him down a road of endless battles to regain something he never had, and possibly never will, from the wrong people. His Father's respect and love. Success isn't always a happy thing. It can be fueled by a bottomless supply of grief. Where does your fuel come from Judo Kid? Master yourself, be happy and don't overly concern yourself with our opinions. Hope you find that fuel source with your training.

white belt:)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We could argue the topic of religion and the arts. But thats been discussed as Arnisador indicated.

I read the bible...I just wonder if Judo uses the proscribed instrument (a wooden paddle) and goes the requisit distance out side of his town (I don't recall it) to evacuate his bowels as the good book indicates. (As Bill Cosby would say, get a thick bible, not the one ya 'found' at the Motel 8). Or has he adapted the 'relief' experience based on modern advances in sanitation?

There is literal, and there is intended. The intent of certain guidelines in there as just that, guidelines. And, I'm glad. Cuz, otherwise our subburbs would be more FOS than they currently are. :D

I suggest this topic be left go for now. Judo is set in his mindset that he can become an Uberman, and none of us 'magic users' can stop him.

Just for the record...being able to knock me on my *** don't impress me.. its too easy... Go walk on water...that impresses me. :D

OP
R

rmcrobertson

OK, in no particular order.

First off. People, I think, should be going to the martial arts to learn something more than how to fight. It's related to a question Larry Tatum frequently asks: " Well, by about brown belt you know all you really need to know aabout fighting and self-defense. So why does anybody keep training?"

Second. I kept training, and keep training, because I felt that I had to. And to try and become a better person.

Third. Is teaching necesssary to mastery? Hell yes. For one thing, doesn't teaching imply that you notice other people exist and are different? And if you don't teach, isn't it just a matter of developing your own ability to beat people up? isn't it just the development of more technology?

Next: in the martial arts--and in a weird but related way, in the study of the humanities--the idea is to become a better, more balanced person and to exemplify this to one's students and in one's society. Certainly that's ingrained into the Confucian ideals at the base of a lot of Japanese martial arts. For example, one might want to worry about one's school grades as well as one's "mastery."

Fifth: in kenpo, bow to things but salute people. (Arnisador, I loved that insane court suit. Methinks I smell a parent with an axe to grind...) I might add: bow to things that deserve respect, not to the merely fancy...

Sixth: mastery schmastery. Among other things, I think a master of the martial arts has a real humility--not because they're wearing a patched gi and showing off how humble they are (Golda Meir: "Don't be so humble. You're not that great.") but because they have a lively sense of wwhat idiots they are, how much there is to know, how fragile knowledge is.

Seventh: becoming a, "master of martial arts," implies more than individual study, however brilliant or willing to work one might be. It also implies being part of an ongoing tradition---and to be a real master, like Mr. Parker, you haave to be in the right place at the right time. Karl Marx: "men make history (sexist pig. his wife did his shirts while he screwed off in the British Museum...), but they do not make it from materials of their own choosing."

Eighth: ya wanna see a master? There's the one in the first year of, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," and then--I'm watching, "That's Entertainment"--there's Gene Kelly. When he died, "Time," ran a picture of him in what I firmly believe is the best cat stance I will ever see. The scene in, "American in Paris," where he gets up and walks around his apartment should be required viewing for every martial artist, along with Baryshnikov and Hines doing a martial arts routine choreographed by Twyla Tharp in, "White Nights."

That oughta do it.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by Judo-kid
Well i believe you can become a master By mastering teaching ablity , all the skills , the technics and the grace of the art.

You have to be a student first, and even after you become a teacher you are still a student.
Take it from someone who has been teaching longer than you have been alive.

I dont believe in ******** chi maybe you do thats fine.

I didn’t either when I was about your age.

I am christen and that would be against my relegion.

I think you mean Christian & religion, don’t you?
I’m Catholic and it’s not against mine. Do you think Chi training is some kind of religion?

But for anyone else who wants to believe in it thats fine and i wish you the best of luck shooting fire balls or what not.

When you make un-educated statements like this your respectability goes down.

I believe it takes a good time to master the arts but it can be done and i will do it. Best of luck to you all Judo-kid.

While I can understand your desire and agree that you should try to accomplish that goal I have serious doubts about it happening.
You might become very good at one or all of the arts but to master any one of them to their fullest will take a life time. Take it from people that have walked the path before you.
My teacher is 75 years old, he has trained for about 60 years and says he is "maybe" only half way there.
Think about it.

OP
M

Mike Clarke

Hey Judo kid,

I hope you're paying attention here?

Mike.

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And everyone's picking on Judo -Kid
Waz up with that.

Look Take Whats Best from each ART
Make it your own & follow your dream.

In Realty fighting it's not the art
But the person.

white belt

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Ace,

When people verbally get spit upon, it gets attention, malice intended or not. I feel that JK means well, but his displaying the shopping list of arts to master, to those with more experience, kind of says it all. Some responded by suggesting future frustration is inevitable for him if he does not take things more a step at a time. Those people were showing interest in him and his goals. We all stand a better chance of failing if we spread ourselves as thin as possible. That's all. I personally would like to see him happy and not leave the forum. His will is admirable.

On topic now. I plan on mastering the art of "self". It makes all else more possible.

white belt

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The way to show your a master is to beat everyone else.

How many times?

I'm very curious to this thought.

So when you win your a master? And when you lose you are a...?

Who is going to teach you, because a person who is not a master (= the person who has beat everybody else), cann't learn you how.

Now don't get me wrong. Follow your idea, try it. I'm just intriged by your thought.

/Yari

OP
R

Rob_Broad

After reading your posts for quite some time, I suggest you look at mastering the english language if you plan on communicating beyond a 6th grade level. Then I would work on mastering reality. After that feel free to spend time in the arts trying to better yourself.

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Judo Kid you believe the ability to teach is part of mastery I will make you an offer to help get you on the road to mastery. Email me directly at [email protected] and I will send you an ebook on teaching, for free no string attached. Your email must be able to accept attachments over 1.44 mb I would suggest a yahoo acct. You can ask several members here what the book is like because I have given to many people. I hope you take me up on the offer, it may help you more than you think.

OP
P

Pyros

I feel it is funny how we the western countries seem to feel mastery of a budo art is something godlike. My background info is mostly from Japanese arts, but five centuries ago it was common for a samurai to become a master in less than 10 years, some even in less than five. This was nothing weird, mastery simply meant you had learned all the techniques of the school (menkyo kaiden usually). Several of today's jujutsu styles were found by a person who mastered 1-5 different arts in relatively short time frame. Mastered in this context means, got their menkyo kaiden, that is, graduation scroll of the school. It simply meant he had been taught all techniques of the style.

Today, many arts teach all their techniques before 3rd, 4th, 5th or whatever degree but keep giving upper degrees based on time-in-school, political or social achievements, etc. Many today only train 2-4 times a week. If you trained like in the old days, every day, you might easily learn all the techniques of a style that teaches it's last techniques at say 4th dan, in just a few years.

But to people who feel that the word "mastery" is loaded with some godlike powers, that is not reasonable. They feel either that it is impossible to master an art, or that mastery only comes after 50-100 years of active practice.

So the problem here is the definition of the word mastery. It seems (to me at least) that people here have differing definitions and thus argue about how and if you can achieve mastery.

Just my 2c.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions