The Arts i plan on mastering / What is Mastering really mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

J-kid

This thread is to see what arts people want to learn and plan on mastering, For me it is.....

Judo
Jujutsu
Escrima
Boxing
MTkickboxing
Wrestling Freestyle/submission
Sambo
PLUS various Moves from other arts.

This is what i use to fight with i am working hard to learn as much as i can from each, Plus other stuff from other arts, I can give you a good reason to why i am choosing to use each of these arts.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, good luck. I find it hard to master one but that's just my opinion.

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Yes, I agree. Good luck, but there's no way. I've been doin' kenpo for eleven, twelve years, and I don't even believe in mastery anymore.

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Good Luck in Your personal Quest.

Mine are as Such

Submisson Fighting
Ju Jitsu/Judo
Wrestling
Arnis de Mano
Mauy Thai
J. K. D.
______________________________---------------

For Me i Look to see Whats Comon
And how i can take what i learn & apply it

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Waking up every day

Eating a good balanced meal

Enjoying Life to its' fullest.

I wish you the best in your search. If I can 'master' one art in my life I will be pleased.

Rich
:asian:

OP
H

H@pkid0ist

I just wana be master in my own damn household for once. :samurai: :wah: :wah: :wah: :wah: :wah:

OP
C

chufeng

I want to be master of time, space, and dimension...then I want to go to Illinois...

:p
chufeng

OP
D

Deathtrap101

I am going to master my hair comb and my bingo dabber, because in the end, arn't these the only true martial arts weapons??? yea you know what im talking about.....

..........oh yea, and the snot rocket...:goop:

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey,

You guys have to cut the kid some slack, he's only 18. When I was 18 I wanted to master Kosho Ryu Kenpo, Hsing I, Wing Chun, Modern Arnis, Doce Pares, and Judo.

Then over the course of the years I found that mastery is elusive and that just when you think you know something, you find that it's really just the beginning. I don't have enough years to master those. So I'll be sticking with Wing Chun and Doce Pares and even that's aggressive.

Martial Arts mastery has much more to do with attitude, understanding, perseverence, and seasoning than it does with the acquisition of techniques.

Attitude requires being humbled. Understanding requires studying theory, culture, kinesiology, etc. Perseverence requires the juxtaposition of your everyday life vs your time in the school. Seasoning requires years of learning the correct attitude, gaining accurate understanding through practice and study, and persevering in the pursuit of balance between your martial arts and the requirements of being a good person.

Good luck in your pursuit. I still believe in mastery, but I just haven't gotten there yet.

OP
J

J-kid

First off age really dosnt matter, second off I can and will master those arts one way or another, Like sambo is alot like judo and jujutsu is almost like Judo and sambo the three are close. Boxing and Mt are alike, Wrestling is diffrent yet effective and when submissions are added most look like Jujutsu submissions and are easy to pick up since my grappling back ground. And again Escrima is diffrent then all of them though but i have a master of Escrima that gos to my judo school and we have clinics for stick fighting clinics, I am going to one tommorrow, Listen It dosnt have to take a life time, So what some people are slower at learning i learn hard fast and link of fighting all day. You might just do it for fun , This is my way of life One day ill prove my self on UFC and show the world...... Tito and bob are going down.....

OP
J

J-kid

I made a mistake online, the common mistake of posting my age, these people on here who try and act mature have to try and make it seem like Im incapable of coming up with an original thought. Making them ignorence Punks, Many people have done this ''Guys hes only 16 give him a break'' ''hes 16 why should we listen to him'' My favorite I remeber when i was 16, Well guess what i am not you and we are not the same my train of thought is so diffrent then yours and proble will remain diffrent, So what i am a teenager dosnt mean i cant do anything or think on my own. Maybe when you where a teenager you couldnt think clearly but i can. People like you make me sick traped in your own world. :mad:

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey,

Like sambo is alot like judo and jujutsu is almost like Judo and sambo the three are close.

They are different though, and different for many reasons. You'll see as you study.

Boxing and Mt are alike, Wrestling is diffrent yet effective and when submissions are added most look like Jujutsu submissions and are easy to pick up since my grappling back ground.

Again they may be similar, but they are different and very different for a good number of reasons. People spent their whole lives making them different.

And again Escrima is diffrent then all of them though but i have a master of Escrima that gos to my judo school and we have clinics for stick fighting clinics, I am going to one tommorrow

You're not going to master any art through clinics shuffled in with other arts, especially eskrima. What style of Eskrima does your "master" classmate practice? By calling himself a master, he must have some creds, what are they?

So what some people are slower at learning i learn hard fast and link of fighting all day. You might just do it for fun , This is my way of life One day ill prove my self on UFC and show the world...... Tito and bob are going down.....

Who do you compare yourself to when you say "some people"? Would that be the local heat in your town? You might need to see the world a bit to really be able to compare yourself to others realistically.

Also, the UFC is one thing, mastery is another. Few of the people who fight in it would even consider themselves masters, especially at a list the size you plopped down for yourself. You might want to add grammar to that list as well, if you intend to be clearly understood.

To be a master of Judo or Jujitsu involves not only technique, but healing, the same for some Eskrima. Does your eskrima "master" do that too? Will you learn it? Did you even know about that? To be a master of Judo also requires study in Japan at the Kodokan. Are you ready to go?

Some of us on the forum have fought or taught MA for a living. so before you go there, learn a little about your audience otherwise you'll seem doltish.

I would say that you're right, for the most part, that age doesn't really matter. Aside from some actual time in training requirements by particular systems, age is often negotiable. But often the accoutrements of age do matter. For instance, living on your own instead of with Mommy and/or Daddy, having a full time job, having an education, having had to sacrifice things that matter for things that matter more, and the list goes on. All of these things are part of mastery, because they are the framework of your life. All of your techniques will be applied within that framework. Make sure you're not confusing being a "technique collector", with mastery. They aren't the same.

One thing about tournaments, like the UFC. They prove you have some fighting skill, but for the most part they just prove that you can fight and maybe win in a tournament.

I do admire your resolve. If you can achieve your goal legitimately, then you truly will be remarkable. I hope that "Tito" and "bob" are quivering in their spandex from the fear of ultimately meeting their competitive demise at your eventual face off. Best of luck.

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Judo-kid
This thread is to see what arts people want to learn and plan on mastering...

Good luck...

By the way, what do you mean when you say mastering?

When have you mastered a style?

/Yari

OP
J

J-kid

Of course there are diffrences in those arts from one from another or i wouldnt need to take them( a given)
The guy who gos to my gym knows 4 styles of escrima and has been doing it a LONG time. Healing what a load of crap, What the heck are you talking about. Hnmm i dont know if i should take you serously anymore. LOL Also i dont need to travel to japan, The way to show your a master is to beat everyone else. Also I never once stated that one night i would go to sleep wake up and be the master of all these arts. I will show you all once i get in the ufc and prove my self you will all aww in wonder because i did it . Became the worlds greatest fighter and i will.

OP
A

Astra

Damn, how dense can you get. People study a single art exclusively for decades and don't dare call themselves masters yet. Mastering an art doesn't mean you can beat someone else, it means you know nearly everything there is to know about it. If I ever even become good at the style I'm learning at the moment (and I study more then you can immagine) then I'll be happy.
BTW, there will always be someone better then you, so striving to be the best is a lost cause. You will learn these things when you become older and advance in martial arts (except if you are a a product of a McDojang).

OP
A

Angus

Move along, move along. Lost cause, people. Nothing to see here.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by H@pkid0ist
I just wana be master in my own damn household for once. :samurai: :wah: :wah: :wah: :wah: :wah:

For it's the Remote for the TV

OP
J

J-kid

Well with thinking like that of course you will never be the best, You call me dense i call you Ignorent, Dude if people listen to you no one could do anything. Everyone would sit around scared because someone else might be better then them. You know what there is always a number one pritty much and your gonna have to learn and try to fight to be the best or sit back and do nothing like a dipshi*t. your thoughts make me sick, You got a problem and will never make it any where in life. I feel pitty for you.....

Status
Not open for further replies.