Terminology

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
In my school, I start each class with a bow. I think this is normal. However, I think my twist on it is a little deeper. When we bow, I believe that I am the only one that actuallyt lowers my head and lets my eyes go to the floor. In doing this, i am showing complete trust to my students. I also bow deeper than they do, in this I am showing respect for them continuously being there and gratitude. Yes, i show them gratitude. If it were not for them, I would have no dojo and would not be doing what I love to do and what i have dreamed of doing sonce I was 12. If someone refuses to bow, that is fine, IF they can find another way to show respect, humility and affection to everyone else there. On that I am firm. I display American flags on the OUTSIDE of my dojo. On the inside, the only thing I have that is even shaped like a flag is the banner with Kenpo Fists on it. I make my students open and close the class and count in Japanese, for a very simple reason. I learned a long time ago that counting in another language, like tying on a belt helps them shift their mindset and focus on Martial Arts, not their personal problems. Like the story about the guy that leaves his problem on a tree in his yard every night before he goes into hishouse and picks them up in the morning on his way out.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Knowledge is bound when one is compelled to Tradition, yet knowledge is endless when tradition is bound.

Learning a foreign language does not help you throw a better punch or kick. It does however "well round you to traditions" but this should be secondary if self defense is your goal.

You should train in the language of the country you are learning in. Understanding what you are doing is most important .... more then the terminology used.

When in Rome................

:asian:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Reasking the original question for the new crew. :)

"With so many styles out on the market in these days, I have noticed a trend and would like everybodies opinion on it. Many yrs ago I studied some TKD and every body had to learn the terminology in Korean, a few yrs after that I trained in Shorin Ryu and we learned Okinawan terminology, that to me was par for the course. Now adays it hard to find a school that uses the traditional terminology for the basics in the originating language. Yes they all count from 1 to 10 in class, but that is susally as far as it goes. I am wondering if anyone sees a problem with this. should people still have to learn a foriegn language to study some styles, or is it a bad thing to do because it frustrates people and they end up leaving class because they came to learn to defend themselves not come for language classes. I will wait for a few replies before I give my opinion on this."

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I teach my classes in English with English translations of the terminology. I only know a few of them in Mandarin anyway, and that's with a weird Sichuan accent. My students are English speakers and I'm an English speaker so it is easier for communication to use English.

I do like to drop in a Chinese term from time to time, just to confound them. Gotta keep those students on their toes.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Com sa ha mi da or co map su mi da. Please, if you are going to use it at least use it right. Saw un, ni how ma, neh? Y'all.

BTW, the only Korean I do teach is for refereeing.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We learn Korean as part of the art, I've never questioned it because it enriches what we learn to me. I know some of the people in my class don't like learning Korean but they are mainly students with enough to learn already.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My Korean instructor teaches in Hanglish....Half Korean, Half English. Kind of hard to translate sometimes, but all the techniques are in Korean first, with english translation next.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My Korean instructor teaches in Hanglish....Half Korean, Half English. Kind of hard to translate sometimes, but all the techniques are in Korean first, with english translation next.

:rofl: Very nice!

I initially didn't use much Korean with my students. I figured they weren't that interested in it & it might bogg them down. After a year of running the school I asked them if they wanted to know the Korean term for some kicks, they excitedly said, "yes!" Now, it's fun to add that into class.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
We use the language of the speakers of the country (this is as a style). So in the US we use English, in Germany we use German, in France we use French, in Venezuala we use Spanish, and so on. The reason is Cuong Nhu comes from Shotokan, Judo, Aikido, Wing Chun, Tai Chi Chuan, Western Boxing, and Veit Vo Do Vovinam.
7 styles, 7 sets of terminology, 5 differnit languages. Forms use the orignal language, for the most part. But everything else is in language of the coutry. We could easily put everything in Tieng Viet (official language of Vietnam), but lets see you try to even say mẫu (dạng) nuốt biết bay. Try it yet? Hard, hu?