teaching free, just for the love of the art.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OUTSTANDING!!!!!!! Remember, while teaching the material, to teach your students to have the same mindset as you do right now.

icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

EXCELLENT point Hand Sword...

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Really, I'm not. My own experience teaching and that of people much better at it pretty much bears it out. People are more motivated when they've exchanged something for what they get. It doesn't have to be a lot. And for a hobby it should definitely not be more than they can afford. But it has to be something. They really do take it more seriously if you do that. In some cases they really can't afford anything. That's something you have to take on a case-by-case basis. It doesn't affect the general principle.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I guess we definitely disagree then. For me the general principle is If people can do their passion for free, they will do so, fully, paying with sweat, blood, tears and time alone.

So we disagree, let's move on please.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know for me and my school, remember my school, for the most part we do not make enough to cover expenses each month we have had some great people come in to train but we where unable to keep alot and they switched school. The mindset of paying is what people are use to and if you do not charge they believe you are not good enough to train people, we know that is not the case but the general public needs to feel comfitable with paying for what they are getting.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The mindset of paying is what people are use to and if you do not charge they believe you are not good enough to train people, we know that is not the case but the general public needs to feel comfitable with paying for what they are getting.

Sad but true.

Back when I taught Tai Chi I did not charge much but there was a person in my area that charged considerably more. They had more students and they were NOT talking about Tai Chi as a martial art either, but I was.

But with that said one of my Sifu's does not charge me for training and he is very very good. But he does not train many nor is he trying to make a living teaching. As a matter of fact he does not tell anyone he knows anything unless he feels he wants to train them. I knew him for a while before he told me he trained CMA

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I know for me and my school, remember my school, for the most part we do not make enough to cover expenses each month we have had some great people come in to train but we where unable to keep alot and they switched school. The mindset of paying is what people are use to and if you do not charge they believe you are not good enough to train people, we know that is not the case but the general public needs to feel comfitable with paying for what they are getting.

This assumes tht you want to take people on as students that aren't intelligent enough to see what you're offering without a price tag on it. Personally, if the thing that conviced someone that what I was teaching was worth studying was because I charged for it, I'd send him down the road to the nearest McDojo.

stephen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I teach, and charge a small amount. I kinda like the way I do it, I know several others who take a similar approach:

1. I make sure I cover all the costs. This isn't so hard.

2. Any 'profit' left over goes into a special fund (piggy bank) to pay for my training, trips to Japan, seminars, equipment, training videos, etc....

This way, although I am charging (and it's not a lot). All of the money is re-invested into training. It seems fair to me that my students should help out with my training a bit, as it benefits them directly as well.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I teach, and charge a small amount. I kinda like the way I do it, I know several others who take a similar approach:

1. I make sure I cover all the costs. This isn't so hard.

2. Any 'profit' left over goes into a special fund (piggy bank) to pay for my training, trips to Japan, seminars, equipment, training videos, etc....

This way, although I am charging (and it's not a lot). All of the money is re-invested into training. It seems fair to me that my students should help out with my training a bit, as it benefits them directly as well.

Sounds like a good way to do it to me.

Iron Leopard

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just a point to kick around here a bit. If you're a good teacher you are worth every penny you charge and make. It's like a mercedes costs a lot. why pay that much for it when you can drive a honda that drives just fine? Cause the quality of the mercedes is so much better! Now relate that to your teaching, your style and what you have to offer.

The counter point is.. of course don't over charge, what can your students afford and are you just in it for the money or the love of teaching?

Latest Discussions