kempo-muy thai

qizmoduis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by MJS
So the MT kick was created by the Okinawans and Chinese?? Yeah, ok..If it was being done back then, it was probably because it was added to their list of kicks....borrowed from MT.

Rigid thinking.

Honestly, this is possibly the second stupidest argument I've seen on this board. This is straight out of the nuthouse of Bullshido.com

"He's not doing Wing Chun! He did something that wasn't chain punching"

"He threw a shin-kick! That's Muay Thai, not Kenpo"

"Look, He did a <whatever>. That doesn't fit my narrowly preconceived notion of <insert art here>"

Blah blah blah.

I just spent the whole morning doing nothing but low shin-kicks in Kenpo class today. Since I wasn't chambering, I guess I wasn't doing Kenpo.

Not only were we practicing shin-kicks today, but we were learning when to throw them, and when NOT to. I think that's an important point that some miss in their fervor to prove that <insert art that is not Muay Thai or BJJ> sucks.

Rigid thinking.

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by MJS
So the MT kick was created by the Okinawans and Chinese?? Yeah, ok..If it was being done back then, it was probably because it was added to their list of kicks....borrowed from MT.

I think it was Clyde who said it best, when he said,
Yea, whatever

--Dave

:asian:

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Just to pick up on something posted a bit earlier, I'm curious about putting together the ideas that a) we could learn a lot from muy thai, and b) muy thai folks seem to acquire a lot of injuries.

Perhaps one of the differences between the two has to do with the safety--short and long-term--of training? I'd be interested to see if anyone suspects, as I do, that part of the reason for the fairly-structured kenpo system is to cut back on damage?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
qiz--- All I'm saying is that, fine, if you spent the entire morning doing Thai kicks, great. It just amazes me though that people can take a kick from another art and pass it off as something that they have been dong all along. You are dong exactly what I say that we all should be doing...borrowing things from other arts and adding them to your own training, to make yourself better.

For someone to take the rapid fire punches from Wing Chun and call it Kenpo or TKD or any other art, when it isnt, is wrong!

Mike

OP
R

rmcrobertson

So...Mike, could you explain the difference built into the roundhouse kicks in Attacking Mace and Shield and Sword? Sure looks to me as though one's a thrusting roundhouse and one's a snapping roundhouse...

I don't quite get what the big deal is...after all, the arts all probably are Indian and Chinese adaptations of even older fighting techniques...so...

"Good poets borrow, great ones steal," is what we say in the lit game. From the first, I heard that Mr. Parker built kenpo as a rationalization of what was in other martial arts...one of several things that makes this "inside," and "outside," a hopeless discussion.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is no big deal. I was just stating that by doing these kicks which are borrowed from other arts, we are all in a sense cross training.

Mike

OP
K

Kenpomachine

First, there's many things which develop at the same time in different places, sometimes thousand of miles away. Are they borrowing from one another? Not necessarily.
Second, the guy asked about muay thai. And we have probably confused him more than we've helped. By the way, I don't remember who started this thread, but if you're still looking for an anwers, think about what would you expect from the new classes. Then, if you feel that's not being covered in your kenpo class and it is being covered in the muay thai, go for it. But you must know first what do you want from the new class.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Originally posted by rmcrobertson
So...Mike, could you explain the difference built into the roundhouse kicks in Attacking Mace and Shield and Sword? Sure looks to me as though one's a thrusting roundhouse and one's a snapping roundhouse...

You're correct Robert. The kick in Attacking Mace is more of a Thai style kick. Depending how close they are to you though, you might be better off throwing a knee rather than a round kick. Times when I've done this, the person is so close that I feel I'd get more power with that. But, you're correct, you are hitting with the shin. Might not get as much power as if you were farther away from the person and throwing the kick to the leg.

Mike

Latest Discussions