Teaching assertiveness from a young age.

ThatOneCanadian

Green Belt
Reaction score
Prepare for a long rant but this is an important issue in martial arts that I think deserves some attention.

Growing up, I was always taught to sit silent when confronted or to not attempt to defend myself or de-escalate a violent situation if I was attacked. I was raised with the idea that instigative violence against me is OK while defending myself is wrong, a ridiculous dogma that is both legally and morally reprehensible. I was basically taught to be a passive, weak person under the guise that it will somehow make me morally superior. But all it did was make my life more difficult and let people walk all over me.

Fast forward a couple decades and after 6 years of studying Shotokan Karate, I am an assistant instructor who has been assigned to a kids class (as apparently you have to teach kids before you can teach adults). My job involves teaching children not just how to physically defend themselves but also how to de-escalate bad situations using their words. Just as a maths teacher teaches arithmetic, it is now apparently my job to teach assertiveness.

One thing that I notice about the classes I teach is that there is a 50/50 split between assertive and non-assertive children. The assertive ones strike the hardest, are the most social/happy, and have an easy time paying attention and following directions. The non-assertive ones strike the bags/targets hesitantly, have a harder time socializing, and often find it challenging to follow instructions. They are also often told to sit out of class due to behavioral reasons and appear to be quite passive during sparring matches, rarely scoring any points. And from what I hear, they apparently have a lot of difficulties in school as well.

This concerns me a great deal, largely due to the fact that I know what it is like to be conditioned as a passive, weak individual early on in life. It is my hypothesis that the latter group of children are being taught by their parents and teachers the same dishonest, counterintuitive doctrine that I was taught, i.e. "always be the bigger person regardless of the situation, even if it means being a total pushover." And it appears that this doctrine has subconsciously conditioned some of these children to be quiet, weak, sensitive individuals. This weakness is evident in their behavior as much as it is in the roundhouse kicks they throw at the heavy bags. From my perspective, being emotionally passive and having weak technique has transcended correlation and has become a full-on connection with almost 100% accuracy. In other words, if a confident kid walks in, they throw strong punches on day 1; if a quiet, shy kid walks in, they throw weak punches several months into their training.

By sheer luck, I personally managed to break free of this "always be gentle and passive" nonsense around the time I started university and currently live a happy life, finding it easy to stand up for myself when appropriate. However, in my experience, the people who choose to be passive and non-confrontational into adulthood end up being miserable, unsuccessful, unhealthy individuals that then pollute the world by instilling this destructive logic onto their own offspring. Even some of the friends I grew up with have fallen victim to this toxic state of mind, and of course, they have grown up as miserable, unsuccessful, unhealthy individuals.

As if that wasn't bad enough, I see this same kind of passive behavior in some of the adults that I train with. Now, I am by no means good at sparring, nor an intimidating-looking individual, and yet I have had kumite matches with high-ranking opponents in which they continuously back away from me despite plenty of openings from them to attack and me not throwing a single technique. I can see the hesitance in their eyes and it is easy for me to capitalize on it simply by being the least bit assertive in my technique. Once again, it is my prediction that they were taught from a young age to be passive, and that these teachings are responsible for their lack of vigor. This seems to even show up when they do kata, with the same people still being afraid to kiai properly even after several years of training.

I don't want my young students to turn out like this. I want them to grow up as strong, assertive people. I want to override any passive, anti-confrontational rubbish that their parents and teachers might be poisoning them with and let them know that being a confident, assertive person is the one true key to success and happiness. I don't want to see any of them sent into the adult world as weak pushovers, as it will only bring them disappointment in the long run. Does anyone have any advice on how best to teach this? It could be something as small as a physical drill or something or as big as a pep talk, and it can be as small as what a single lesson would cover or as big as something to teach over the course of several years. Granted, I don't want to teach them to be aggressive, as that emotion is just as harmful as being passive; I want to teach them to be assertive yet still civil.

More importantly, do any other instructors here face this dilemma? Am I the only one who notices this assertive vs. passive split, not just in the dojo but in everyday life? This is a topic that has fascinated me for quite some time now and I would like to know what other martial artist - students and instructors alike - think about it.

P.S. I am by no means trying to judge or denounce anyone, as I am a firm believer that everyone has the potential and deserves the opportunity to better themselves. I am simply looking to bring light to a certain problem and assist people in getting rid of it.

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I think it´s politics which i won´t go into.
You see it everywhere in the media.. it´s ok to wear your moms panty.
Circuit training with some outdoor survival will toughen them up.
As a kid i was doing these things in the British Boys brigade. Never did me any harm.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Prepare for a long rant but this is an important issue in martial arts that I think deserves some attention.

Growing up, I was always taught to sit silent when confronted or to not attempt to defend myself or de-escalate a violent situation if I was attacked. I was raised with the idea that instigative violence against me is OK while defending myself is wrong, a ridiculous dogma that is both legally and morally reprehensible. I was basically taught to be a passive, weak person under the guise that it will somehow make me morally superior. But all it did was make my life more difficult and let people walk all over me.

Fast forward a couple decades and after 6 years of studying Shotokan Karate, I am an assistant instructor who has been assigned to a kids class (as apparently you have to teach kids before you can teach adults). My job involves teaching children not just how to physically defend themselves but also how to de-escalate bad situations using their words. Just as a maths teacher teaches arithmetic, it is now apparently my job to teach assertiveness.

One thing that I notice about the classes I teach is that there is a 50/50 split between assertive and non-assertive children. The assertive ones strike the hardest, are the most social/happy, and have an easy time paying attention and following directions. The non-assertive ones strike the bags/targets hesitantly, have a harder time socializing, and often find it challenging to follow instructions. They are also often told to sit out of class due to behavioral reasons and appear to be quite passive during sparring matches, rarely scoring any points. And from what I hear, they apparently have a lot of difficulties in school as well.

This concerns me a great deal, largely due to the fact that I know what it is like to be conditioned as a passive, weak individual early on in life. It is my hypothesis that the latter group of children are being taught by their parents and teachers the same dishonest, counterintuitive doctrine that I was taught, i.e. "always be the bigger person regardless of the situation, even if it means being a total pushover." And it appears that this doctrine has subconsciously conditioned some of these children to be quiet, weak, sensitive individuals. This weakness is evident in their behavior as much as it is in the roundhouse kicks they throw at the heavy bags. From my perspective, being emotionally passive and having weak technique has transcended correlation and has become a full-on connection with almost 100% accuracy. In other words, if a confident kid walks in, they throw strong punches on day 1; if a quiet, shy kid walks in, they throw weak punches several months into their training.

By sheer luck, I personally managed to break free of this "always be gentle and passive" nonsense around the time I started university and currently live a happy life, finding it easy to stand up for myself when appropriate. However, in my experience, the people who choose to be passive and non-confrontational into adulthood end up being miserable, unsuccessful, unhealthy individuals that then pollute the world by instilling this destructive logic onto their own offspring. Even some of the friends I grew up with have fallen victim to this toxic state of mind, and of course, they have grown up as miserable, unsuccessful, unhealthy individuals.

As if that wasn't bad enough, I see this same kind of passive behavior in some of the adults that I train with. Now, I am by no means good at sparring, nor an intimidating-looking individual, and yet I have had kumite matches with high-ranking opponents in which they continuously back away from me despite plenty of openings from them to attack and me not throwing a single technique. I can see the hesitance in their eyes and it is easy for me to capitalize on it simply by being the least bit assertive in my technique. Once again, it is my prediction that they were taught from a young age to be passive, and that these teachings are responsible for their lack of vigor. This seems to even show up when they do kata, with the same people still being afraid to kiai properly even after several years of training.

I don't want my young students to turn out like this. I want them to grow up as strong, assertive people. I want to override any passive, anti-confrontational rubbish that their parents and teachers might be poisoning them with and let them know that being a confident, assertive person is the one true key to success and happiness. I don't want to see any of them sent into the adult world as weak pushovers, as it will only bring them disappointment in the long run. Does anyone have any advice on how best to teach this? It could be something as small as a physical drill or something or as big as a pep talk, and it can be as small as what a single lesson would cover or as big as something to teach over the course of several years. Granted, I don't want to teach them to be aggressive, as that emotion is just as harmful as being passive; I want to teach them to be assertive yet still civil.

More importantly, do any other instructors here face this dilemma? Am I the only one who notices this assertive vs. passive split, not just in the dojo but in everyday life? This is a topic that has fascinated me for quite some time now and I would like to know what other martial artist - students and instructors alike - think about it.

P.S. I am by no means trying to judge or denounce anyone, as I am a firm believer that everyone has the potential and deserves the opportunity to better themselves. I am simply looking to bring light to a certain problem and assist people in getting rid of it.
Interesting post. I agree that assertiveness is a positive trait, and has an impact on many other traits that are positive and helpful to the child, such as resilience and optimism.

I would guess, though, that we all have a slightly different idea in mind of what being assertive means. For example, I don't think being assertive and being gentle are mutually exclusive.

Nor do I agree that assertiveness is the key to happiness, as I know many people who are not very assertive, who are quite resilient, optimistic, gentle, empathetic and very happy. Assertiveness is a good trait to have in some situations, but it's not the only trait that is beneficial.

Lastly, I think any time you talk about influencing traits in others, you're looking at something that is going to take a lot of time and energy, and that just gets more difficult the older they get.

OP
T

ThatOneCanadian

Green Belt
Reaction score
Interesting post. I agree that assertiveness is a positive trait, and has an impact on many other traits that are positive and helpful to the child, such as resilience and optimism.

I would guess, though, that we all have a slightly different idea in mind of what being assertive means. For example, I don't think being assertive and being gentle are mutually exclusive.

Nor do I agree that assertiveness is the key to happiness, as I know many people who are not very assertive, who are quite resilient, optimistic, gentle, empathetic and very happy. Assertiveness is a good trait to have in some situations, but it's not the only trait that is beneficial.

Lastly, I think any time you talk about influencing traits in others, you're looking at something that is going to take a lot of time and energy, and that just gets more difficult the older they get.
Assertiveness doesn't necessarily have to be confrontational; it can be as much as jumping on opportunities as they appear and putting all of your effort into them. But the courage to be confrontational is definitely beneficial to this more friendly type of assertiveness.

And you are very correct with that last statement; this is why I wanna change things as soon as possible.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Assertiveness doesn't necessarily have to be confrontational; it can be as much as jumping on opportunities as they appear and putting all of your effort into them.

Agreed. While I know that there are varying opinions regarding the Disney corporation, they are well known for their customer service. They have a philosophy they teach to their staff (referred to as cast members) on being "assertively friendly." I really like the concept.

And you are very correct with that last statement; this is why I wanna change things as soon as possible.

Yeah, though I would say not everyone is assertive, and that's okay too.

so, what exactly do you have in mind? I mean, what does teaching kids to be more assertive look like in practice?

OP
T

ThatOneCanadian

Green Belt
Reaction score
what does teaching kids to be more assertive look like in practice?
I'm not sure. I might look into Kyokushin/MT practices because they clearly churn out rather assertive people.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think a lot of this has more to do with individual personalities than how they're raised. Some of our shyest kids have parents trying to get them out of their shell. I also think there's a point at which being assertive becomes an issue. More of the behavioral problems I see are from the more-assertive kids than the less. The less assertive kids aren't cutting in line. They tend to do their job as assigned.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not sure. I might look into Kyokushin/MT practices because they clearly churn out rather assertive people.
Do you know a lot of Kyokushin practitioners? Or are you judging by the physical aggressiveness of Kyokushin sparring? ....or something else?

The art I train is a "soft" style that seeks to avoid clashing force against force. Our goal is to yield, absorb or deflect attacks and "borrow the force" of our opponents. Does that make us passive doormats doomed to an unhappy existence? :(

Is that why I secretly dream of being a supervillain? :p

...at least, as long as I don't have to work too hard at it. ;)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Do you know a lot of Kyokushin practitioners? Or are you judging by the physical aggressiveness of Kyokushin sparring? ....or something else?

The art I train is a "soft" style that seeks to avoid clashing force against force. Our goal is to yield, absorb or deflect attacks and "borrow the force" of our opponents. Does that make us passive doormats doomed to an unhappy existence? :(

Thank you for this. I think this is close to what I was trying to say above... assertiveness is not necessary aggressiveness. There's a fine line between being assertive and being a jerk.

Conversely, I think someone who is not aggressive can be quite assertive.

OP
T

ThatOneCanadian

Green Belt
Reaction score

A soft style is still assertive; a passive style wouldn't even attempt to borrow the force. Come to think of it, a passive style would just stand there and do nothing!

As for the Kyokushin question, I used it as a generic word to refer to full-contact stylists; I know a few MT/Uechi/boxing/etc people and yeah, they're pretty darn assertive people.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Assertive in fighting and assertive (to varying degrees) in life are usually different things.

I think @ThatOneSyrian's OP is an import one. But it's kind of a crap shoot teaching it to kids in a Martial Art's school. Under the right circumstances, in the right dojo, with the right people, it's easier than it is under other circumstances. I'll tell ya, people have no idea how difficult, and important, teaching Martial Arts is.

The biggest obstacle are children, usually young ones, who do not want to be in Martial Arts classes.
(Children....they're the loud, sticky things, right?)

Blue Lotus

White Belt
Reaction score
As a non-assertive person, I would like to say I am perfectly happy with my personality. It actually has little to do with how my parents raised me. If I was "poisoned" it was by society in general and the valuation of women being, well, submissive. Not everybody values submissive women, for sure, but the general trend is still towards it.

It also doesn't help being Autistic, since I rarely know how it is appropriate to act in certain situations. I tend to find the sidelines to be just fine. I let other people talk, for the most part, and find that I learn a lot from them in doing so.

My non-assertiveness has not stopped me from getting a thorough education or a well-respected job. Non-assertive does not necessarily mean non-ambitious. I may not confront people, but I usually find a way to get what I need anyway.

Anyway, my life is not miserable as the OP seems to think it should be and I am generally a happy person. And, my strikes are just as strong as the next person's.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
As a non-assertive person, I would like to say I am perfectly happy with my personality. It actually has little to do with how my parents raised me. If I was "poisoned" it was by society in general and the valuation of women being, well, submissive. Not everybody values submissive women, for sure, but the general trend is still towards it.

It also doesn't help being Autistic, since I rarely know how it is appropriate to act in certain situations. I tend to find the sidelines to be just fine. I let other people talk, for the most part, and find that I learn a lot from them in doing so.

My non-assertiveness has not stopped me from getting a thorough education or a well-respected job. Non-assertive does not necessarily mean non-ambitious. I may not confront people, but I usually find a way to get what I need anyway.

Anyway, my life is not miserable as the OP seems to think it should be and I am generally a happy person. And, my strikes are just as strong as the next person's.
Thank you for sharing your perspective. :)

OP
T

ThatOneCanadian

Green Belt
Reaction score

I mean this as a compliment: you are more assertive than you might realize. The fact that you have the courage to debate what I am saying is evidence of this. Heck, having a well-respected job is by itself an indicator of it.

But it's kind of a crap shoot teaching it to kids in a Martial Art's school.
That's why I want to teach it in a subtle manner. Being overt about it and declaring "be assertive or fail at life" will clearly not work, and might just make me look weird :D

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
end of the day..you can do all the martial arts you want but you have to have the heart for fighting.
people do not grasp this.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
end of the day..you can do all the martial arts you want but you have to have the heart for fighting.
people do not grasp this.
True dat. Fortunately, in some students, heart can actually be developed.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Interesting topic and relevant to self-defense. "Self-defense" as I see it is another way to say physical assertiveness. It is projecting energy/power in the accomplishment of your goals involving interaction with other people. Much different than aggressiveness, though at times assertiveness may require physical action. Then, it is called self-defense.
Conversely, I think someone who is not aggressive can be quite assertive.
Right. Assertiveness can be "standing by your guns" and advocating your principles or belief. Refusing to give in to or be coerced by someone's opinion or viewpoint that you believe is wrong is assertiveness. Not going along with the crowd when you "march to a different drummer" is assertiveness.

Assertiveness can be taught to children in a self-defense setting. For example, teaching the kids to say "NO! That wrong!" to someone trying to touch them inappropriately or lure them into a car is assertiveness training. Saying "NO, I don't do that," when offered a pill or joint by their friends is assertiveness.

Kids can be taught to respect adults, but to respect their own bodies even more.

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Just teach the martial art, confidence and assertiveness will grow within the students organically over time.
yeah but some still don´t have a mind set to go the whole way.
a life or death situation is not like a dojo session.

Latest Discussions