Taekwondo: Out of the Olympic Games after Brazil 2016?

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
you're obviously interested in more than my opinion. Yesterday you did some 'research' on me and told me that apparantly I train at a club that doesnt have a class within 200klm of where I live. I wish I had that sort of time on my hands. When I went and checked their website it would appear they teach kukkiwon curriculum, and it doesnt take einstein to figure out from my posts that I dont do kkw tkd.

Those are your words not mine. You stated earlier that many many ex Kukkiwon black belts in your area were flocking to take traditional non Kukkiwon training. One of my Aussy friends pointed out that many such clubs were following Kukkiwon curriculum. I posted the evidence. You sure are defensive about it though.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nah I don't think so. I was just chatting with Mr. McPherson more than anything with that anecdote, if I meant anything by it I would have said :)

I'd like to think I do represent him well. I expressed my views and didn't insult anyone personally, wasn't rude and I know from experience he views competition the way I do. I'm all about the growth of Taekwondo.

I don't need to represent him, either, I represent myself. If I say something insightful, valid or useful then it reflects on my knowledge of Taekwondo which comes from him, but me being a dick is on me. I don't claim to represent my college professors or parents or bosses from my day job.

But what you do and what you say in the Taekwondo world does directly reflect on your teachers, regardless of what you think.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
But what you do and what you say in the Taekwondo world does directly reflect on your teachers, regardless of what you think.

Sure, even if it does I haven't done or said anything I wouldn't say in person in front of my instructor(s).

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You equate competition with violence?

When one strikes an innocent person, to take revenge against their teacher, whom one did not have the courage to face up to, yes.

"""Well you see, that's different. I've always respected the leader of the class. But this dude. . .

I'll just that it's always been something of a (admittedly guilty) hope of mine to one day face his students in competition and destroy them with ease."""

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The person he's hitting is there to fight, though. I think more than the violence he wants to prove his previous instructor wrong. No different than a soccer rivalry or baseball or whatever.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Two things. . .

1. Yeah, semi-contact sparring . . . REAL violent. Look out, someone might get a fat lip.

2. If I'm competing, I have to compete against SOMEONE. Might as well be his students. And how are they innocent? It's not like I want to waylay them on the street or anything. They signed up to fight.

This board is about Olympic Taekwondo, I don't recall discussing "semi-contact." But if you say so.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
there is a big difference between respecting your instructor and taking everything they say as gospel. Some people 'get off' on being bowed to and being called master. Its not for me, I run a large business and all my employees know not to refer to me as "boss", I dont like it, we are all even, and I dare say I command more respect for being like that. But I have to agree with twin fist, the troll has had enough to eat, feeding time is over:)

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't remember making it an issue?

I make it a point to disclose who I am when I take offense to something so as to avoid "keyboard warrior" status. That's all. You know who I am and where my school is now, I'm accountable for what I say and it's real.

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
When one strikes an innocent person, to take revenge against their teacher, whom one did not have the courage to face up to, yes.

Face up to him how? Should I challenge him to an honor duel to the death?

He knows I dislike him. He could feel it, apparently. Though for the record I ALWAYS showed respect. Yes, sir. No, sir. I didn't question him in the middle of class. And when I wanted to seek out another instructor I politely asked if that would be a problem (because there is a whole protocol within the local ITF scene about how you're supposed to switch from one instructor to another).

And you know what I got in return? He suggested to other instructors that they not train me because I wouldn't respect them. In reality, that's not true at all. I just didn't respect HIM . . . but still gave the necessary outward show of respect.

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
This board is about Olympic Taekwondo, I don't recall discussing "semi-contact." But if you say so.

This BOARD is, huh? That's funny. Seems to me like it just says "Tae Kwon Do." Or is the Olympic version of the art the only one that counts?

Also, I mentioned that he was an ITF instructor, so his students would be ITF students, who do semi-contact sparring. Try to keep up.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The person he's hitting is there to fight, though. I think more than the violence he wants to prove his previous instructor wrong. No different than a soccer rivalry or baseball or whatever.

I understand that your instructors and coaches are in 100% favor of your position on this subject and hats off to you guys for being birds of a feather. But I wonder what the parents of the children you teach would think about your position in this discussion.

You know, that it's OK to go in for the kill, the knockout of a novice unskilled competitor, because hey, he's my same weight, and he has a black belt on, so I will just ignore his lack of skill and kick his teeth out, after all, isn't what what he signed up for, so who cares what happens to him. And by the way, that was a student from my old instructor, who I hate and want to prove wrong and have been hoping to destroy one of his students and I did it, wow, what a great day!

I wonder how that would be as the daily motivational message for your 8 year olds? Of course, maybe your instructor agrees with you so maybe it's OK.

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
LOL @ a black belt being a "novice unskilled competitor."

You crack me up MASTERcole.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I understand that your instructors and coaches are in 100% favor of your position on this subject and hats off to you guys for being birds of a feather. But I wonder what the parents of the children you teach would think about your position in this discussion.

You know, that it's OK to go in for the kill, the knockout of a novice unskilled competitor, because hey, he's my same weight, and he has a black belt on, so I will just ignore his lack of skill and kick his teeth out, after all, isn't what what he signed up for, so who cares what happens to him. And by the way, that was a student from my old instructor, who I hate and want to prove wrong and have been hoping to destroy one of his students and I did it, wow, what a great day!

I wonder how that would be as the daily motivational message for your 8 year olds? Of course, maybe your instructor agrees with you so maybe it's OK.

In Newfoundland you have to be 18 and a black belt to win by knockout or even kick to the head.

You and I both know this was never about 8 year olds and you're grasping at straws to make me look like a thug.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
there is a big difference between respecting your instructor and taking everything they say as gospel. Some people 'get off' on being bowed to and being called master. Its not for me, I run a large business and all my employees know not to refer to me as "boss", I dont like it, we are all even, and I dare say I command more respect for being like that. But I have to agree with twin fist, the troll has had enough to eat, feeding time is over:)

Did someone say you had to take your instructors every word as gospel? Who is being bowed to, commanding respect and being called master? What does that have to do with Steve Vick or Olympic Taekwondo?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
This BOARD is, huh? That's funny. Seems to me like it just says "Tae Kwon Do." Or is the Olympic version of the art the only one that counts?

I think he means this "thread", which is about taekwondo in the olympic games, not itf.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
In Newfoundland you have to be 18 and a black belt to win by knockout or even kick to the head.

In the US, for 14-17 year olds, you can kick full contact to the head and win by knockout, same as the WTF Competition Rules.

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think he means this "thread", which is about taekwondo in the olympic games, not itf.

I assume so, though that particular bit of conversation was about an ITF school that I was involved with.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Face up to him how? Should I challenge him to an honor duel to the death?

He knows I dislike him. He could feel it, apparently. Though for the record I ALWAYS showed respect. Yes, sir. No, sir. I didn't question him in the middle of class. And when I wanted to seek out another instructor I politely asked if that would be a problem (because there is a whole protocol within the local ITF scene about how you're supposed to switch from one instructor to another).

And you know what I got in return? He suggested to other instructors that they not train me because I wouldn't respect them. In reality, that's not true at all. I just didn't respect HIM . . . but still gave the necessary outward show of respect.

Until you got here, behind his back, in front of all of us. Nice :) I have to give ETinCYQX crdit, he is not doing anything behind anyone's back, and is being up front about how he thinks and how his instructor thinks.

Latest Discussions