Taekwondo: Out of the Olympic Games after Brazil 2016?

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Next year will be quite an important year for the Taekwondo community. The IOC will be making decisions whether to keep Taekwondo as an Olympic sport. We have to brace ourselves and be ready to the possibility that Taekwondo won’t be part of the Olympic Games after 2016. And should that happen, how will this affect us?As a Taekwondo school owner, I don’t think there’s any effect at all. People who have started training with me don’t care at all if we are an Olympic sport or not.

Taekwondo is also very small in our country so we don’t get much publicity. We might get some if someone is fighting at the Olympics. But so far, we haven’t won any medals so big for media to show any interest.
But for me, personally, it would be very sad if we are not part of the Olympics. But like I mentioned earlier, it won’t have any effect on my own training or how I operate my school.

The national federations might be a different story though. In some countries, I suspect that they will get less money from their national Olympic committees and that will surely have a negative effect on their operations.
Is being in the Olympic Games necessary for us?Well, not for individual schools. But for the national federations, it is quite important because of the money and status. But for people like me who are focusing more on “average” Taekwondo students, everything will stay the same. So it really doesn’t matter if we are on the Olympics or not.

But what do you think?

Yours,

Markku Parviainen

OP
Markku P

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think we should watch this again!

Yours,

Markku

Last edited by a moderator:

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was present when Dr. Kim gave that speech in Korea. miguksaram was there too.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It was a very somber moment when he made such a claim. We had 80 people from 13 different countries in that room when he was speaking. After the speech you could still hear the proverbial pin drop as we all took in exactly what he was saying. Though I have no dog in the fight for TKD being in the Olympics, I do feel it still impacts TKD as a whole. Even if your school does not promote Olympic TKD, the public may still see issues with the thought "Isn't that the sport that was kicked out of the olympics?"

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Last time I watched, the networks here no longer support any activity involving physical competition outside of wrestling and even that is limited. Even boxing fell out of favor after peeking in the 70's. Without airtime in prime time, trying to follow Taekwondo was very difficult. Because of that, I don't think it will have as adverse effect as originally may be anticipated. As for me and my school, absolutely no impact. We spar, sometimes compete, but it isn't the primary focus of our training. I imagine those that thrive on competition will still do so. Why shouldn't they?

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Last time I watched, the networks here no longer support any activity involving physical competition outside of wrestling and even that is limited. Even boxing fell out of favor after peeking in the 70's. Without airtime in prime time, trying to follow Taekwondo was very difficult. Because of that, I don't think it will have as adverse effect as originally may be anticipated. As for me and my school, absolutely no impact. We spar, sometimes compete, but it isn't the primary focus of our training. I imagine those that thrive on competition will still do so. Why shouldn't they?
While I agree there is no TV airtime, you can catch most, if not all, online which a lot of the public has turned to. It may not have the affect of people no longer doing TKD. However, I do believe it will leave a giant black eye for a long time to come if it is removed.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
While I agree there is no TV airtime, you can catch most, if not all, online which a lot of the public has turned to.

There is even an iphone app for watching wtf competition and other stuff.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might I simply suggest that there were serious TKD practitioners prior to the sport being put into the Olympics. There were serious TKD practitioners while the sport was in the Olympics, but weren't really affected by it one way or the other. And if I may, there will be serious TKD practitioners still, regardless of whether it is discontinued on not. Will it affect some organizations? Perhaps. Will it, or should it affect the TKD practitioner as an individual? Probably not, unless their goal was specifically to go to the Olympics.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
It was a very somber moment when he made such a claim. We had 80 people from 13 different countries in that room when he was speaking. After the speech you could still hear the proverbial pin drop as we all took in exactly what he was saying.

It was kind of sobering. Otherwise, the trip was pretty good. Great mix of juniors and seniors. I want to do it again. Everyone made time to show their hospitality to us.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While I agree there is no TV airtime, you can catch most, if not all, online which a lot of the public has turned to. It may not have the affect of people no longer doing TKD. However, I do believe it will leave a giant black eye for a long time to come if it is removed.

Since this is all so much speculation because it hasn't happened yet, I could be wrong, but it certainly hasn't seemed to hurt our predecessors. Events come and go all the time. I couldn't even tell you if Judo and Karate are still Olympic sports though I knew they were at one time. Boxing took a much bigger hit from the growth of MMA than it ever did from airtime loss in the Olympics.

You could be right, we'll just have to wait and see. Being a PM, my thinking wouldn't be focused as much on whether or not it will continue, but what will we all do as a community to ensure our continued growth. Seems like a better use of time to focus on what we control as opposed to what we don't.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It was kind of sobering. Otherwise, the trip was pretty good. Great mix of juniors and seniors. I want to do it again. Everyone made time to show their hospitality to us.
The trip was excellent...The only thing I really didn't like were all the formal dinners we were rushed too. I enjoyed the trips on the bus where we got "one on one" time with some of US pioneers of TKD. They were fun to converse with and full of great history and direction. The best part was they talked to you like you were part of their school...like family as opposed to talking to you like a stranger just asking questions.

Another great time was going with the seniors to the makkoli house. :) Great time as GM Park and other GM's would check on the juniors and make sure are cups were full. ha.ha.ha

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is even an iphone app for watching wtf competition and other stuff.
That's true, but I doubt many folks outside of the community were tuning into my that means. Growth is based on reaching those beyond your inner circle and showcasing the Taekwondo experience to new people. That's why air time is so important. I just don't think the Olympics played as big a role in doing that as our inner circle may think.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
that why the olympics was a bad idea of epic proportions in the first place: you cater your business to ONE thing, you better make sure that thing cant be taken away from you.

NOW, there are i imagine 1000's of places that will have to totally change how they market thier product, once it is removed from the games. no one willbe able to say they are a stepping stone to the olympics

i think it is GREAT if it gets dropped but then i havnt placed all my eggs in that basket so to speak

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I couldn't even tell you if Judo and Karate are still Olympic sports though I knew they were at one time.

Judo is still an Olympic sport but not karate. Karate was never an Olympic sport, but it might be in 2020. The IOC shortlisted Karate, Wushu and some other sports to be included in the 2020 Games.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
The trip was excellent...The only thing I really didn't like were all the formal dinners we were rushed too.

I didn't mind the formal dinners. Once we ate lunch at this seaside restaurant. There was this clam broth served there that I have been trying to recreate but simply cannot.

I enjoyed the trips on the bus where we got "one on one" time with some of US pioneers of TKD. They were fun to converse with and full of great history and direction. The best part was they talked to you like you were part of their school...like family as opposed to talking to you like a stranger just asking questions.

that's what taekwondo is all about when you get down to it. All martial arts really.

Another great time was going with the seniors to the makkoli house. :) Great time as GM Park and other GM's would check on the juniors and make sure are cups were full. ha.ha.ha

I was invited but declined to go to that. :)

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Judo is still an Olympic sport but not karate. Karate was never an Olympic sport, but it might be in 2020. The IOC shortlisted Karate, Wushu and some other sports to be included in the 2020 Games.
I stand corrected.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well to me it would be said, would it effect my school not a single bit. I believe the IOC will keep the sport side there simply because of the money that is going to be pushed on them. Also we need to find a way to keep people training and learning TKD. To many school will start to jump ship and alot of those Karate school will imaginary go back to karate.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well to me it would be said, would it effect my school not a single bit. I believe the IOC will keep the sport side there simply because of the money that is going to be pushed on them.

What money that is going to be pushed on who, the IOC?

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
Pretty weird.

I've never heard of a sport gaining Olympic status and then losing it. Has there been any rationale given as to why? (If it's stated in the video that was posted, forgive me, but I had a hard time understanding what he was saying given both the accent and audio quality of the clip.)

Being that I have JUST converted to WTF TKD, if the sport loses its Olympic status it will be a disappointment. I like the idea of it being an Olympic sport and at least in the back of my mind there's the idea that I could potentially get to the Olympics in my own training, though the latter is admittedly probably a pipe dream.