Taekwondo: Out of the Olympic Games after Brazil 2016?

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have seen it to, and had it happen to me as well. Regardless, if a fighter has good skill, they can keep the unskilled fighter shut down for the entire match and remain safe, without fracturing their face.

So you're saying that it's literally impossible for a lesser skilled fighter to land a "lucky" KO shot on a more skilled fighter? He can just "shut down" the lesser skilled man, like he has a supernatural power, and there's no chance of losing?

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well I guess if you don't see the relevance to the point then I don't know what to tell you.
Thats the problem, people become so high up in organisations (in all walks of life not just tkd), that no one dares question them, everything they say is gospel and they create their own little mini-cult. They come places like this where people couldnt care less who they are, they are just another person posting. Suddenly they get questioned, and they're not used to that and they resort to all sorts of things (as seen in this thread). I remember my first night of tkd, it was only me in a white belt and my 6th dan instructor left in the room, we went to walk out the door and I let him walk out first and he asked why. I told him he was my senior and I thought thats what Im supposed to do. He replied "there's none of that crap here, your human, Im human, Im no better than you, feel free to question anything I do or teach, I dont go in for all that "master" crap". I respected him for that, and told him that recently, years on, at a tkd camp.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thats the problem, people become so high up in organisations (in all walks of life not just tkd), that no one dares question them, everything they say is gospel and they create their own little mini-cult. They come places like this where people couldnt care less who they are, they are just another person posting. Suddenly they get questioned, and they're not used to that and they resort to all sorts of things (as seen in this thread). I remember my first night of tkd, it was only me in a white belt and my 6th dan instructor left in the room, we went to walk out the door and I let him walk out first and he asked why. I told him he was my senior and I thought thats what Im supposed to do. He relied "there's none of that crap here, your human, Im human, Im no better than you, feel free to question anything I do or teach, I dont go in for all that "master" crap". I respected him for that, and told him that recently, years on, at a tkd camp.

Master Nippard is the same way. I speak highly of him and refer to him as Master because I think highly of him, not for any other reason. No one intimidates me, authority or otherwise :)

I also don't believe I have ever resorted to personal attacks, debasing one's training, or anything other than my feelings or knowledge of the topic at hand to "win" a debate on this site. Part of that is because I am no one in the grand scheme of things and I know that

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thats the problem, people become so high up in organisations (in all walks of life not just tkd), that no one dares question them, everything they say is gospel and they create their own little mini-cult.

Man, that's so true when it comes to martial arts in general. I've run across it so many times in so many forms. There really is a cult-like aspect to many sects of martial arts.

In mastercole's case, if you're not an international/Olympic level TKDer then you are competing in some "low level thing," even if that thing is a championship bout in one of the top kickboxing orgs in the world.

I guess Steven Lopez could easily school all the top kickboxers and muay Thai guys as well as the MMA guys. Of course.

I remember my first night of tkd, it was only me in a white belt and my 6th dan instructor left in the room, we went to walk out the door and I let him walk out first and he asked why. I told him he was my senior and I thought thats what Im supposed to do. He relied "there's none of that crap here, your human, Im human, Im no better than you, feel free to question anything I do or teach, I dont go in for all that "master" crap". I respected him for that, and told him that recently, years on, at a tkd camp.

That's a good story. I do believe that there should be a degree of respect shown to those with higher ranks/more accomplishments, but at the same time we're all just people doing an athletic activity. The main reason I'm no longer doing ITF TKD is because my instructor, despite being quite skilled, was entirely consumed by his own ego. He regarded no opinion as important but his own and loved to yell at people and order them around. And you never knew what he would take as disrespect. It was like walking on egg shells. I don't have time for that.

It sucks too, because I really like the ITF curriculum, philosophy and competition rules . . . except for sine wave, that is.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Man, that's so true when it comes to martial arts in general. I've run across it so many times in so many forms. There really is a cult-like aspect to many sects of martial arts.

In mastercole's case, if you're not an international/Olympic level TKDer then you are competing in some "low level thing," even if that thing is a championship bout in one of the top kickboxing orgs in the world.

I guess Steven Lopez could easily school all the top kickboxers and muay Thai guys as well as the MMA guys. Of course.

That's a good story. I do believe that there should be a degree of respect shown to those with higher ranks/more accomplishments, but at the same time we're all just people doing an athletic activity. The main reason I'm no longer doing ITF TKD is because the instructor, despite being quite skilled, was entirely consumed by his own ego. He regarded no opinion as important but his own and loved to yell at people and order them around. And you never knew what he would take as disrespect. It was like walking on egg shells. I don't have time for that.

It sucks too, because I really like the ITF curriculum, philosophy and competition rules . . . except for sine wave, that is.

I have to admit though I appreciate it when my students shut up and let me talk in class...lol. I don't yell at anyone though

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
seriously? thats all you got?

what a ****ing joke.

I give you that, you would be the expert on loser talk, I have seen your postings. You would be the last person to advise anyone on self defense unless of course it was against an out of shape unskilled woman. Own up to it.

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have to admit though I appreciate it when my students shut up and let me talk in class...lol. I don't yell at anyone though

Well you see, that's different. I've always respected the leader of the class. But this dude. . .

I'll just that it's always been something of a (admittedly guilty) hope of mine to one day face his students in competition and destroy them with ease.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
So you're saying that it's literally impossible for a lesser skilled fighter to land a "lucky" KO shot on a more skilled fighter? He can just "shut down" the lesser skilled man, like he has a supernatural power, and there's no chance of losing?

Those are you words not mine. I never stated there was no chance. I stated "if a fighter has good skill, they can keep the unskilled fighter shut down"

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
seriously? thats all you got?

what a ****ing joke.
I just went back and read through the thread. You are right, he is resorting to the sorts of arguments and slander that a pre schooler resorts to. Everyone has made good concise arguments without resorting to the lows of searching the net to find pictures of people sparring (I mean really, get a life). Clutching at straws comes to mind .The irony is that the only one acting childish is the one putting 'master' before their username.

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
Those are you words not mine. I never stated there was no chance. I stated "if a fighter has good skill, they can keep the unskilled fighter shut down"

So by "can" you mean it's possible, or its definite? Because if it's merely possible then it seems like a pretty big chance to take to not get your opponent out of the match as quickly as you can.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thats the problem, people become so high up in organisations (in all walks of life not just tkd), that no one dares question them, everything they say is gospel and they create their own little mini-cult. They come places like this where people couldnt care less who they are, they are just another person posting. Suddenly they get questioned, and they're not used to that and they resort to all sorts of things (as seen in this thread). I remember my first night of tkd, it was only me in a white belt and my 6th dan instructor left in the room, we went to walk out the door and I let him walk out first and he asked why. I told him he was my senior and I thought thats what Im supposed to do. He replied "there's none of that crap here, your human, Im human, Im no better than you, feel free to question anything I do or teach, I dont go in for all that "master" crap". I respected him for that, and told him that recently, years on, at a tkd camp.

I never assumed importance nor did I think that you should. Call me whatever you like. Even disrespect me if you like. You are who you are and will act as you have been taught, by your 6th Dan instructor. It does not matter to me. I was interested in your opinion not your submission.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
But that's back to theoretical, just like theoretically anyone a 170lb black belt fights is also a 170lb black belt with the same skill level.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Master Nippard is the same way. I speak highly of him and refer to him as Master because I think highly of him, not for any other reason. No one intimidates me, authority or otherwise :)

I also don't believe I have ever resorted to personal attacks, debasing one's training, or anything other than my feelings or knowledge of the topic at hand to "win" a debate on this site. Part of that is because I am no one in the grand scheme of things and I know that

Was someone on this board attempting holding authority over you? Do you feel you have represented Nippard Sabumnim (s) well on this board, since it is you that references them by name?

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I never assumed importance nor did I think that you should. Call me whatever you like. Even disrespect me if you like. You are who you are and will act as you have been taught, by your 6th Dan instructor. It does not matter to me. I was interested in your opinion not your submission.
you're obviously interested in more than my opinion. Yesterday you did some 'research' on me and told me that apparantly I train at a club that doesnt have a class within 200klm of where I live. I wish I had that sort of time on my hands. When I went and checked their website it would appear they teach kukkiwon curriculum, and it doesnt take einstein to figure out from my posts that I dont do kkw tkd.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Was someone on this board attempting holding authority over you? Do you feel you have represented Nippard Sabumnim (s) well on this board, since it is you that references them by name?

Nah I don't think so. I was just chatting with Mr. McPherson more than anything with that anecdote, if I meant anything by it I would have said :)

I'd like to think I do represent him well. I expressed my views and didn't insult anyone personally, wasn't rude and I know from experience he views competition the way I do. I'm all about the growth of Taekwondo.

I don't need to represent him, either, I represent myself. If I say something insightful, valid or useful then it reflects on my knowledge of Taekwondo which comes from him, but me being a dick is on me. I don't claim to represent my college professors or parents or bosses from my day job.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Again, those are your words, not mine. I was not discussing International Kickboxing events. This is an Olympic Taekwondo thread, my comparison would be International Taekwondo events: High level competitions are different from ----> Local Taekwondo events: Low level competitions that Vick was fighting in.

I would never guess that. Please explain why you would.

That's a good story. I do believe that there should be a degree of respect shown to those with higher ranks/more accomplishments, but at the same time we're all just people doing an athletic activity. The main reason I'm no longer doing ITF TKD is because my instructor, despite being quite skilled, was entirely consumed by his own ego. He regarded no opinion as important but his own and loved to yell at people and order them around. And you never knew what he would take as disrespect. It was like walking on egg shells. I don't have time for that.

Sorry to read that you learned from such a man as your former instructor. To much discipline can be an annoying thing.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well you see, that's different. I've always respected the leader of the class. But this dude. . .

I'll just that it's always been something of a (admittedly guilty) hope of mine to one day face his students in competition and destroy them with ease.

Via physical violence, take your hate out on innocent students of his? Is that something your new instructor supports?

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
Via physical violence, take your hate out on innocent students of his? Is that something your new instructor supports?

Two things. . .

1. Yeah, semi-contact sparring . . . REAL violent. Look out, someone might get a fat lip.

2. If I'm competing, I have to compete against SOMEONE. Might as well be his students. And how are they innocent? It's not like I want to waylay them on the street or anything. They signed up to fight.