Taekwondo: Out of the Olympic Games after Brazil 2016?

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
More importantly I beat myself in the most important fight of the day when I convinced myself to stay, I think

Hmm, maybe. But I give respect for the heart to stay and keep going. Can't win 'em all.

I hate to sound like someone's dad, but "as long as you did your best. . ."

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
I'm not Johnny from Cobra Kai, I never go out to hurt anyone. I go out to win and be the best I can be. If I were ever to find myself across the ring from Steven Lopez I'd fully expect him to try and take my head off, I'd even be somewhat insulted if he took it easy on me and patronized me.

What if you came across a person in the ring, you realized they have no business what so ever fighting you, you realize you can punch and kick them at will, there is nothing they can do about, you see they are confused and afraid. Do you go in for the knockout and finish them off?

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
After fight #2 I took my Gi off and wanted to head home, but I decided to get back in and take my licks properly...Lost twice more, by Ippon and then osaekomi. More importantly I beat myself in the most important fight of the day when I convinced myself to stay, I think

You have the will power these people who fought Vick did not. But that is OK. I don't expect you to understand.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What if you came across a person in the ring, you realized they have no business what so ever fighting you, you realize you can punch and kick them at will, there is nothing they can do about, you see they are confused and afraid. Do you go in for the knockout and finish them off?

Depends on a lot of things, mainly the stakes. At our local tournament, I probably won't try and take his head off but I'm going to dominate. Canada Open, Olympic qualifiers, nationals, etc. I'm leaving no chance for him to get lucky, sorry. He's gonna be cannon fodder..

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You have the will power these people who fought Vick did not. But that is OK. I don't expect you to understand.

A good fighter breaking is not the same as a crappy fighter who shouldn't have been there. Breaking your opponent down and then going for the finish is how one wins fights and it's not the same thing as killing a newbie for a highlight reel.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not Johnny from Cobra Kai, I never go out to hurt anyone. I go out to win and be the best I can be.

Really, you sure seem to agree with him, and his coach.

If I were ever to find myself across the ring from Steven Lopez I'd fully expect him to try and take my head off, I'd even be somewhat insulted if he took it easy on me and patronized me.

Once Steven realized he outclassed you, he would just do what it took to stay ahead, run the clock out and get to the next match. That is what Steven does, in case you wondered.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Depends on a lot of things, mainly the stakes. At our local tournament, I probably won't try and take his head off but I'm going to dominate. Canada Open, Olympic qualifiers, nationals, etc. I'm leaving no chance for him to get lucky, sorry. He's gonna be cannon fodder..

Steve Vicks highlight video is 99% local yokel tournaments. That is my point of discussion. But it's nice to see your changing your opinion.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A good fighter breaking is not the same as a crappy fighter who shouldn't have been there. Breaking your opponent down and then going for the finish is how one wins fights and it's not the same thing as killing a newbie for a highlight reel.

I am talking about the "newbie" crappy fighter. You did see the video? I was never discussing breaking down a worthy opponent.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Really, you sure seem to agree with him, and his coach.

Once Steven realized he outclassed you, he would just do what it took to stay ahead, run the clock out and get to the next match. That is what Steven does, in case you wondered.

Like I said, my belt division and my weight class in anything other than a friendly match/tourney, and I'm going to assume he can take my head off and try and do it first. It's competition.

As for Lopez, maybe, maybe not. What happens when he outclasses me and I get lucky, catch him on the jaw and drop him? I go on to "his" next match because he didn't take me out when he should have.

Maybe he would, maybe he wouldn't.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Like I said, my belt division and my weight class in anything other than a friendly match/tourney, and I'm going to assume he can take my head off and try and do it first. It's competition.

As for Lopez, maybe, maybe not. What happens when he outclasses me and I get lucky, catch him on the jaw and drop him? I go on to "his" next match because he didn't take me out when he should have.

Maybe he would, maybe he wouldn't.

I know Steven, if he realized you were capable and trying to do that, he would take you out of the game. I am referring to someone who is not capable. You keep mixing the to different issues, just to argue it seems. But maybe that is what you do.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Steve Vicks highlight video is 99% local yokel tournaments. That is my point of discussion. But it's nice to see your changing your opinion.

I dunno where these tournaments were. I also never changed my opinion, I still don't dislike what Steve did and I still would never hold it against a better fighter if he knocked me out because he could. That's my fault, not his

I am talking about the "newbie" crappy fighter. You did see the video? I was never discussing breaking down a worthy opponent.

Still similarly sized black belts, not newbies by any means (or they shouldn't be at least.) The idea is they are worthy opponents just by virtue of their weight division and their belt division.

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
I know Steven, if he realized you were capable and trying to do that, he would take you out of the game. I am referring to someone who is not capable. You keep mixing the to different issues, just to argue it seems. But maybe that is what you do.

Yes, but anyone can be beat by anybody on any given day.

I get the impression that you don't follow MMA, but just ask any MMA fan if ANYONE gave Matt Serra a chance to beat GSP. . .

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I'm not mixing the issue, I'm still assuming I suck and Steven can take my head off (not much of a stretch of course, lol) my point was just people who suck get lucky too. I have no idea how strong Steven's jaw is but I have a friend who did the same thing, took a completely lucky shot from a terrible opponent to the chin with next to no power, and went out like a light.

I'm not really arguing either, more discussing I guess. I already stated my approach

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I get the impression that you don't follow MMA, but just ask any MMA fan if ANYONE gave Matt Serra a chance to beat GSP. . .

THIS! Great example.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I first heard this over 40 years ago and it has proved true again and again, and, it has absolutely nothing to do with my point. But that is OK.

I don't.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I first heard this over 40 years ago and it has proved true again and again, and, it has absolutely nothing to do with my point. But that is OK.

Has to do with my last one, though, which is a bit of a tangent I guess. It's late here though.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not mixing the issue, I'm still assuming I suck and Steven can take my head off (not much of a stretch of course, lol) my point was just people who suck get lucky too. I have no idea how strong Steven's jaw is but I have a friend who did the same thing, took a completely lucky shot from a terrible opponent to the chin with next to no power, and went out like a light.

I'm not really arguing either, more discussing I guess. I already stated my approach

I have seen it to, and had it happen to me as well. Regardless, if a fighter has good skill, they can keep the unskilled fighter shut down for the entire match and remain safe, without fracturing their face.

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score

Well I guess if you don't see the relevance to the point then I don't know what to tell you.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have seen it to, and had it happen to me as well. Regardless, if a fighter has good skill, they can keep the unskilled fighter shut down for the entire match and remain safe, without fracturing their face.

Theoretically, just like theoretically two same sized black belts should not have a drastic skill discrepancy :)

In theory, there are no comparatively unskilled opponents in competition

Latest Discussions