Thoughts on WT “Sport” “Olympic Taekwondo

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We dont care for the TKD style competition.

We prefer open karate/tkd tournaments with all strikes (punches and kicks) being equal value for scoring.

I can appreciate that. In my earlier years open tourney's were pretty much all there was reasonably close to me. I never liked the inconsistency in how points are given. Especially considering the one strike-one point system should make it easier for the judges. How/why points are awarded is all over the map and very subjective.
The open tourneys were usually fun but biased toward one style or another so the "open" moniker is something of a misnomer. I went to one wearing a red with black stripes demo Gi and was not allowed to do forms because if would cause too much distraction. Similar to what @Buka posted, I could not buy a point in the sparring competition. And I had the, very common, excessive contact issues. This particular tournament also had a breaking competition. Only a few of us did block breaks and I broke 4 more blocks than the next nearest person by doing a kick/strike combo. I did not place in any of the competitions. That is the only tournament ever which I did not place in something.
TKD is going through growing pains as they refine the scoring system and tech. The big picture is that they are trying to eliminate the subjective scoring and make it as consistent as possible. To a degree, I have no problem with weighting scoring based on technique difficulty. This should level the playing field. Of course it could narrow the field as well, causing people who are not inclined to certain techniques not to compete.

OP
G

gorilla2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It is very difficult to get across what you are really intending to get across...He loves TKD the rules have changed so much over the last 17 years...he makes no excuses but having said that the current rule set is not advantages for him...he is 6ft 1in tall and fights at 148.8lb div -68kg...you would think that he would be tall for the division but he slightly above avg...fights many fighters who are 6’3 6’4 and adept at the flip tap head kick and then tap body kick...he is best at the power game...which I think is coming back a bit...but the tap headkick still give a big adv to the Tall thin fighter...

Last edited:

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
We have some people right now pushing to make groin contact illegal. A lot of the TKD schools won't come and compete due to the groin contact.

I hope they don't change it. Groin contact makes you honest with your kicking....you balance with your lead leg up and chambered you are going to have a rough day. It solves the problem of too much lead leg fencing.

OP
G

gorilla2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We have some people right now pushing to make groin contact illegal. A lot of the TKD schools won't come and compete due to the groin contact.

I hope they don't change it. Groin contact makes you honest with your kicking....you balance with your lead leg up and chambered you are going to have a rough day. It solves the problem of too much lead leg fencing.
LOL a good shot to the nuts does take care of the lead leg fencing...against the rules but a lesson gets taught...the lead leg fencing gets penalized now some what...very inconsistently...you can’t hop excessively with out kicking...you can push now...falling gets a penalty...touch kicks to the head score with no power...the tippy tac body shots are also a problem but a consequence of the EHogu...the rule set and equipment have made TKD a body type sport favoring the extremely tall and thin...

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

You are using the past to stereotype TKD a bit. That is not the typical sparring style but yes, groin shots can be a problem for high kickers; unless they knock you out first.;)

OP
G

gorilla2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Maybe, but if that is the way to compete in the new school so be it. I think it would be worse if the conditions were reversed and he wasn't a good fighter. I look forward to hearing about his future accomplishments.
He fights in the Pan Am Open in June also the USAT Nationals...And then he Fights at the World University Games in Naples Italy representing the USA in July...he won the Team Trials and made the NCTA Collegiate National Team...he is also going to college while in the Army..busy young man...

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
He fights in the Pan Am Open in June also the USAT Nationals...And then he Fights at the World University Games in Naples Italy representing the USA in July...he won the Team Trials and made the NCTA Collegiate National Team...he is also going to college while in the Army..busy young man...
I would say that is an understatement. Best of luck all around. Let us know how they go.
We had two girls just get back from FL for the Olympic camp there. Did you happen to be there? They are 6'1" tall 13 year old twins who are working their way into the circuit.

OP
G

gorilla2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Then if that's he wants he has to do it. Not make excuses for losing. He knows why he lost so fix it. Simple as that
No excuses for sure...fixing it has been a problem when his natural inclination is to fight...makes him overly aggressive for this sport...but he is working on it...

OP
G

gorilla2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I would say that is an understatement. Best of luck all around. Let us know how they go.
We had two girls just get back from FL for the Olympic camp there. Did you happen to be there? They are 6'1" tall 13 year old twins who are working their way into the circuit.
Best of luck...he doesn’t go to those camps...they are really for the younger kids...and I think valuable for the JR’s ...my son is lucky enough to be a part of the WCAP team and his coach is an Olympic Bronze Medalist...he also was fortunate enough to be coached for several years by an Olympic Gold Medalist...send me a private message and I will give you more details...it you like

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are using the past to stereotype TKD a bit. That is not the typical sparring style but yes, groin shots can be a problem for high kickers; unless they knock you out first.;)

No...thats the truth. Many TKD schools have stated they will not attend as long as groin contact is legal. And ones that have attended have complained afterwards about the groin contact because it takes away from their ability to kick.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No...thats the truth. Many TKD schools have stated they will not attend as long as groin contact is legal. And ones that have attended have complained afterwards about the groin contact because it takes away from their ability to kick.
Oh the value of a good outside groin protector. You can get hammered pretty good with one and still keep going. I don't doubt some shying away from the scoring system. Part of the whole TKD evolution. A different vein of sparring.

OP
G

gorilla2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You just have to change your game to adjust for the possibility of a groin kick...but it also opens up the option for the TKD fighter...

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You just have to change your game to adjust for the possibility of a groin kick...but it also opens up the option for the TKD fighter...
That is a big part of what I like about accumulating points and multiple rounds. Fighters can be different from fight to fight if they are well trained and heads up. Figuring this out during the "chess match" is half the fun. You just can do that in a 3-5 points and you are out match.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

And don't take me wrong....If a fighter wants to fight with that style thats fine.....land your kicks and score....but I don't want us to lose the ability to counter that with groin kicks.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No excuses for sure...fixing it has been a problem when his natural inclination is to fight...makes him overly aggressive for this sport...but he is working on it...
@Headhunter , it just doesn't work that way. That is like saying anyone should be able to "fix" their boxing skills and be a title fighter. It is much more complicated than that. I get what and have seen what gorilla is saying. Instinct alone isn't always enough.

OP
G

gorilla2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
And don't take me wrong....If a fighter wants to fight with that style thats fine.....land your kicks and score....but I don't want us to lose the ability to counter that with groin kicks.
Appreciate your thought process...

OP
G

gorilla2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
@Headhunter , it just doesn't work that way. That is like saying anyone should be able to "fix" their boxing skills and be a title fighter. It is much more complicated than that. I get what and have seen what gorilla is saying. Instinct alone isn't always enough.
And we are talking about at the World Class level...not an easy fix at all...

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wait, groin shots are legal? Since when?

Latest Discussions