Thoughts on WT “Sport” “Olympic Taekwondo

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You just have to change your game to adjust for the possibility of a groin kick...but it also opens up the option for the TKD fighter...
I read that as, "You just have to change your name to adjust for the possibility of a groin kick". Seemed pretty drastic. :D

D

Deleted member 39746

What bout arts where sparring lets you punch to the head but not kick below the waist? How about kicking below the waist but no groin shots? What iff they allow ll that but no eye pokes? Biting? Small joint manipulation" and so on.

My original didnt save, but i wanted to redo it and make it more concise but anyway.

The sports which let you strike anywhere, are generally better for real life application than ones which dont. And i don't consider every combat sport and martial art self defence. You need to cover more than physical skills to brand yourself as it in my book to which most dont do.

As for my standards, i can get behind limited groin strikes and headbutts for sparring, eye gouges have no place in a competition not to the death. And biting is how you get a blood borne disease so go right ahead if you wish to bite someone. :p Full below the belt striking as well, avoiding maiming the person unless its to the death. (which i dont think it can be lawfully in more countries than not, so don't do that)

You can practice groin strikes etc with resistance and not in a competition though better than i think TKD does it, but ranting about that seems like outside the scope of this thread. I have also backed down on the importance of groin shots, as it really would only train you to be brutal in fighting and view no target on the person as untouchable rather than it being a fight stopper, basically mental training for you to do everything in your power to stop someone from killing you or so fourth. And all you would do in a street fight is get every male watching you jump you for touching the untouchable

Also no one would compete if they get maimed in every match and your aren't going to amke a profit like that if you wish to televise it.

We have some people right now pushing to make groin contact illegal. A lot of the TKD schools won't come and compete due to the groin contact.

I hope they don't change it. Groin contact makes you honest with your kicking....you balance with your lead leg up and chambered you are going to have a rough day. It solves the problem of too much lead leg fencing.

That actually sounds pretty cool, sign me up. :p

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I read that as, "You just have to change your name to adjust for the possibility of a groin kick". Seemed pretty drastic. :D

If I call myself Tina, people will think that a groin kick would be less effective.

OP
G

gorilla2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Somehow this thread got on Groin strikes...if it were an option you would actually have less of them because competitors would know they were a possibility and would develop strategies to defend them...don’t believe that it would make a sport more dynamic...probably would make it less watchable...currently people don’t defend the groin kick so we have plenty of accidental kicks to the groin...and a few on purpose for those who are inclined to cheat...

Latest Discussions