Taekwondo by another name

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I understand schools that currently acknowledge Mr. Rhee as their grandmaster teach his new forms to gup students. At dan levels, they learn the General Choi forms.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's the music that grates on my nerves the most, I suppose. They actually have these CDs of the same music Mr. Rhee selected for use each and every time they practice the form.

OP
NPTKD

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I can probably guess, but what is everyone opion on open form or creatice?
I am not a big fan, I mean some of it is alright. Maybe it is because i'm too old do do all that flipping and jumping!

OP
NPTKD

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hey, I gotta question, it goes back to the thread "ebay". I found a picture of the school down the road from me off of the instructors myspace page and guess what I found! Yes, a picture of a student at promotion holding the very same fake WTF certificate! I don't want to bring all this up agian but, This person who runs this school is why I have the opion that I posted on the other threat! They really piss me off. A really small school, but a big loud mouth. My question is, what do you think I should do? Be honest, really I would like to know....

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am not a big fan, I mean some of it is alright. Maybe it is because i'm too old do do all that flipping and jumping!
Open creative form can be good or bad. If it is done as a martial ballet, and that is known, then I am applying a different set of standards to it. Now, it is a question of asthetics and artistic taste, not so much martial application. At that point, I judge it as art. And it may fail on that level for me, as I am much more objective about art than most people.

Regarding flipping and jumping, If the form is intended as martial gymnastics, then I will judge it by a different set of standards again, mainly artistic taste, difficulty level, and execution.

If the person can work flips and jumps in as flourishes and keep the form martially applicable, then I think that that is an impressive feat and applaud it.

Daniel

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
hello.
My name is Ronald McDowell.
I ate a doublecheeseburger once when i was a child. I loved it so much I made my own doublecheeseburgers and ate them until I became a doublecheeseburger Master :mst:. I now own McDowels. Home of the Golden Arches (not Arcs... thats copyright infringment)

Actually it is the other way around. Golden Arches is copyright...but I do appreciate the Coming to America reference. ;)

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In Korea, the term "Taekwondo" refers to a fairly standardized art (technique/terminology/testing are universal there). In other countries, including the USA,it is more of an umbrella term which encompasses Koreanized karate-do at various stages of evolution.

I am a "true believer" in the Kukkiwon. I STAUNCHLY support their efforts to train instructors, provide training materials, and certification of those who are worthy of same. I am happy to assist those who have not had the benefit of getting their KKW certification.

But, the world is bigger than South Korea and I think it does a disservice to Taekwondo and martial artists in general to state that someone who is not studying Taekwondo as practiced in Korea is not doing Taekwondo (or Tae Kwon Do, or Tae Kwon-Do, or Taekwon-Do). The founders of the Kwans came together to form the Kukkiwon in order to bring people together to train in a wonderful martial art. A true Taekwondoin should seek to build harmony, not create disharmony, IMHO.

Nicely put. TKD has become a generic term like karate. There are so many subsets and versions. It is too the point now that people do need to specify which type of TKD just so others get an idea of what they do. For example I study karate. However that could mean shotokan, shito-ryu, shorei-ryu, etc. So I have to be more specific.

I am with Miles that I support the KKW TKD (yeah no big secret there). That doesn't mean I don't appreciate what the other TKD's have to offer.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And in my experience, the KKW never denies anyone......as long as the check clears.

When discussing only YOUR experience I guess this would hold true. However, they have denied people and it has already been proven on this site by those who said they did not receive the rank they applied for. Plus I have seen people testing at the KKW and failing.

I think the problem some people have is when you bash something that you don't even use or have no role in is pretty much ignorant. If you don't use their teaching methods or if you don't compete in their events then fine...you have no use the KKW. That doesn't mean KKW is the anti-christ of TKD. For those of us who do utilize their methods or participate in their events or like to feel a connection to the originating culture, then KKW seems to fit.

You system predates KKW...true. KKW is just a building. But, keep in mind that the foundation of the style of TKD that is taught in that building is the same if not predating that TKD which you practice.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Without going through and listing ALL, here is just one of the postings that IMPLIES if you are NOT KKW Certified, then you are not TKD:

The ITF, ATA, GTF and others DO have International Events, now IF the ONLY way to be in a TaeKwonDo International Event is to be KKW Certified, that Very Well IMPIES ALL other Orgs. and Independants are NOT TaeKwonDo.

With Respect,
-Kevin

I didn't know ATA had international events. I thought they were just a national based organization.

Anyway, you make a HUGE leap here. You are missing the part where it is a WTF International Taekwondo Event that you have to be KKW certified to attend. This doesn't mean if you are ITF you are not practicing TKD. That is a conclusion you are drawing on your own. This is just saying that if you wish to participate in a WTF event of this caliber you need to be certified as part of the KKW.

ATA does not allow any non-ATA people into their events. Does this mean ONLY ATA people practice TKD and everyone else doesn't?

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Keep in mind that there is creative and then there is the "extreme". What seperates the two are the flips and tricks. Personally I like both. The athleticism that is displayed by those who do it is just awesome to watch. Now my biggest pet peeve with them is when they do it with sloppy basics. I have judged and watched countless people on the circuit who had great tricking ability, but had piss poor techniques martial art wise. To really impress me I need to see both.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is just a curious question so please do not read more into it. Are the forward stances in Rhee's system supposed to be narrow?

I don't know. When I studied his system in Texas, the forward stance was roughly shoulders width apart as is common in many karate systems. His martial ballet innovations came after Mr. Rhee moved to the DC area, and I have no real indepth knowledge of any changes he might have made then.

If you want my best guess, I would say the people in the video probably just don't have good stance work. It is easier to perform that kneeling motion they make when you're in a shallow stance, so maybe that's the reason.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score

You guessed right in my case. My dojo works kata applications on a deeper level than most schools I've visited. The classical forms from Okinawa contain all your basic blocks, movements, and attacks.... and even more if you've been given the tools to understand where throws and locks are 'hidden'. With that perspective, I don't generally like the newer forms as a result, and I'm afraid I have no use for competition type forms. Or martial ballet for that matter, my connections to Mr. Rhee notwithstanding.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I didn't know ATA had international events. I thought they were just a national based organization.

They also have branches in South Korea believe it or not. I saw some promotional video once of HU Lee, the former head of the ATA now deceased, on a return trip to South Korea to promote his style. He was treated with rock star level respect and acclaim.

They also have branches somewhere in Europe and I believe Australia and Mexico. They're not as widespread internationally as the KKW, but no doubt they're more than an American phenomenon now.

Latest Discussions