TKD rules & regulations

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me why in the heck TKD has so many org. such as American Tae Kwon Do Association, International TKD Federation, Etc....? Why does a school have to belong to one of these oragnizations. Can someone just open a school and teach TKD if they have a high ranking black belt in it? In Kung Fu there is no governing body to say you have to do this or that. There is no governing body that says you have to pay annual dues to keep your rank. Thats stupid. How can an org. take your rank away from you? You know what you know. Are they going to erase all the stuff you know out of your head? Are they going to come to your home and take your diploma back? To me these organizations are money making sceems that someone in tkd came up with. Thank God kung fu doesn't have these. Other styles have these crazy org.'s as well but TKD seems to have the most.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me why in the heck TKD has so many org. such as American Tae Kwon Do Association, International TKD Federation, Etc....? Why does a school have to belong to one of these oragnizations. Can someone just open a school and teach TKD if they have a high ranking black belt in it? In Kung Fu there is no governing body to say you have to do this or that. There is no governing body that says you have to pay annual dues to keep your rank. Thats stupid. How can an org. take your rank away from you? You know what you know. Are they going to erase all the stuff you know out of your head? Are they going to come to your home and take your diploma back? To me these organizations are money making sceems that someone in tkd came up with. Thank God kung fu doesn't have these. Other styles have these crazy org.'s as well but TKD seems to have the most.

Yes TKD has alot of different orgs. and to answer the first questio no you do not need to belong to any of them and yes any BB can open a school and choose to teach. The concept in the beginning was to unite TKD under one banner for the betterment of TKD but feelings and greed and yes I said greed got the better of people. There are Kung Fu that have associations and they too have there inner problems. You may not belong to any of them and that is why you have never heard of them. Karate and TKD has the same negative picture what people do not see our those tiny schools thta practice basic SD principle and are flying low under the radar. I wish TKD could go back and change what has been doen but hinsite is 20/20, each day there are school that are making the break from orgs and just doing what was intended to train and hopefully this will continue.

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There's a flip side though. I remember reading in William Manchester's book "Goodbye darkness" that early in WWII there were few US soldiers that spoke Japanese so when one guy said that he could teach Japanese they gladly took him up on it and he trained many, many officers in Japanese. The trouble was, he could not speak Japanese. Not one word. So the officers had learned to speak a bunch of gobbledygook this guy invented in his head. So if you come to me and I say I'm a black belt in this great martial art that, by the way, has no governing body, no standard requirements and no oversight, what do you know about it? I'm not disagreeing that the fees are aren't egregious, the in-fighting dumb or that this is the best system in the world, just that there is another side to it.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me why in the heck TKD has so many org. such as American Tae Kwon Do Association, International TKD Federation, Etc....?
The Unites States is one country... so why are there 50 states, each with their own constitution? Because individuals don't always see eye-to-eye, and can't always agree on how things should be run. Groups of people flock to those who have similar beliefs - - just like in religion.

Jhoon Rhee came to the U.S., started teaching, and gathered a following of students. The ATA was started because Haeng Ung Lee came to America and had a dream of a Taekwondo Franchise that followed his vision. General Hong Hi Choi was a major influence on the early development of "modern" Taekwondo and the organization of the major Kwans in Korea. Differences led to him moving to Canada, and setting up his ITF HQ to spread to the U.S. and throughout the world.

Many of these early Taekwondo pioneers in America moved from Korea to different parts of the U.S., and had little or no contact with each other, but most of them answered to the same chain of command in Korea (with the exception of Choi who went out on his own). America was an open market in the 1960s, and most Korean Masters had free reign over their respective territories, but if they wanted to remain in good standing with their seniors, and leaders of Taekwondo in Korea, they kept in touch, and obtained permission to run their own respective organizations.

As some of them gained high rank, senior age, fame and status in the U.S., they cut off ties with Korea and went out on their own, like ATA's Grandmaster Haeng Ung Lee did in the late 1970s when he took over as President of the ATA. Some of the organizations were created as extensions of the founding Kwans, like Sr. Grandmaster Edward Sell, and the U.S. Chung Do Kwan Association being the first official representative of the Korean Chung Do Kwan here in America in 1967. As Americans gained high rank, some became dissatisfied with the way organizations were run, and created their own, so now we have a plethora of TKD organizations.

Can someone just open a school and teach TKD if they have a high ranking black belt in it?
Yes. In fact, there is nothing to stop someone from opening a so-called "Tae Kwon Do" school, even if they have no training in Taekwondo.

In Kung Fu there is no governing body to say you have to do this or that.
Think of the early days of Kung Fu (or Gung Fu) in China, and where it was taught. Anyone can learn to fight "like" a Kung Fu master, but if they were not educated by a genuine Kung Fu Master, are they legitimate? Do they really know "Kung Fu" or just the fighting moves? If no one is telling you to do "this or that," and you can do anything you want, then are you really teaching Kung Fu, or just your own idea of fighting and calling it Kung Fu? Just because someone kicks, does not mean they are doing Taekwondo, and certainly does not mean they are qualified to teach the complexities and philosophies of the entire Korean Art.

There is no governing body that says you have to pay annual dues to keep your rank. Thats stupid.
It might seem "stupid" if you are not familiar with the logic and reasoning behind such practices. You don't lose your rank if you stop paying annual dues, but you lose the privileges of your rank, and the recognition of your rank "in good standing" with that organization. This is common practice among many organizations other than the Martial Art. An organization is there to provide a standard of training that assures the public that each student is getting quality training. The organization gains a reputation for producing good, reliable instructors, which helps you decide if it would be a waste of money or not to join. There are benefits available within an organization that you will not find outside of the organization.

How can an org. take your rank away from you? You know what you know. Are they going to erase all the stuff you know out of your head? Are they going to come to your home and take your diploma back?
Of course they can not remove the knowledge, and don't usually take your "rank" away, but if you are not actively training with them, and agreeing to abide by their rules, and teach by their standards, then they can not back you, and certify to the public that you are doing things at the quality level that their reputation and rules require. They can revoke your "official rank" within their organization.

As an example, the Better Business Bureau (BBB) provides its members with a plaque to display to the public for consumer confidence, and allows them to mention the BBB in their advertisements (for a fee, of course). They require that the business promptly address any customer complaints, and attempt to reach fair settlements. If a business stops paying the annual fee, they are prohibited from including the BBB in advertisements, and are required to return the member plaque, which remains the property of the BBB as per the original contractual agreement. They don't want bad business, who don't follow the rules, tarnishing the reputation of the BBB by displaying an outdated membership certificate.

To me these organizations are money making sceems that someone in tkd came up with.
Well, you can look at it that way if you choose, but in reality, this concept is not unique to Taekwondo, nor the Martial Art at all. It is good business practice, and anyone in business, including those who are certification boards and governing bodies, have to make money for the service they provide. If someone feels they can get along without it - - fine! However, the more of these independent, free-wheeling, non-certified instructors that are out there, the more potential we open up to the fraudulent, imposters who take an 8 week self defense class at the local Y, then buy a black belt, print their own Kinko certificate for 8th Dan, and open up their own Twi Kan Dew school as a Grandmaster. The public is not aware of the fraud unless they do some research, and rely on those well-established, credible organizations.

Just my opinion.
Chief Master D.J. Eisenhart

Latest Discussions