New American Taekwondo Form

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As a kata/hyung devotee, I'm always interested in seeing newer interpretations of the classical forms or new forms altogether. This apparently is the 3rd dan pattern for one of the recently created American styles of taekwondo.

Not what I choose to practice, but it's very athletic in design. I wonder what the 1st or 2nd dan pattern looks like. :)

[yt]E856C9aUjsk[/yt]

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
From some googling, I believe the AMAI is a new venture started by some ex-ATA people.

I haven't seen their curriculum, but I can't disagree with these thoughts taken from their website:

"The AMAI curriculum has been developed in such a way that the students will repeat their material constantly. Fortunately, this is not through repetition only! The curriculum has been designed in such a way as to allow your students to progress from…
1) …learning the basic movements to…
2) …implementing those same movements with a partner in a self-defense or sparring situation and
3) …repeating those movements in the air in a form with proper knowledge of the moves usefulness and effectiveness!"

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looks like it is more of a Karate influence form, but each there own.

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Looks like it is more of a Karate influence form, but each there own.

I see lots of ATA influence in the form. If you watch the various ATA forms on youtube, you'll notice a fondness across many of their forms for the same arm movements Mr. Mathis performs in the video above.

Just for fun, here's the ATA 3rd dan form, I believe.

[yt]epx66IhJls8[/yt]

I do like the extensive kicking in these forms, even if granted there's little concept of applications contained within them as I see it. As far as difficulty level in performing as a art however, they're great.

DMcHenry

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I can't see the video, but can read some of the text. Yes that's AMAI which is an offshoot of former ATA members. I've met Master Mathis and have attended one of their national tournaments as a visitor. Two of my former students are from that organization.

They did revamp all their forms. Their one-steps and self defense techniques are all out of the forms that are required for their level. They are made to all match up.

A very interesting and logical approach.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
It would be interesting to see the forms all the way up. I wonder if that 3rd form has 'interpretive' parts? I can't see anyone older than 40 doing some of those 540 jumps, and the cartwheel creative/capoeira style kick was interesting.

Great to hear that AMAI did the 'stacking' forms though, it's one of the best things in the ATA. (short to long, increasing difficulty, moves based off prior form etc).

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I enjoy watching other styles forms. I have always thought it would be a good idea to learn the 1st degree form from different styles/org- like the ITF form and the ATA form etc so I can recognize it if someone from another school is ever performing . Of course, then I always think that I have plenty to work on in my curriculum and haven't done it yet!

50calray

White Belt
Reaction score
As a kata/hyung devotee, I'm always interested in seeing newer interpretations of the classical forms or new forms altogether. This apparently is the 3rd dan pattern for one of the recently created American styles of taekwondo.

Not what I choose to practice, but it's very athletic in design. I wonder what the 1st or 2nd dan pattern looks like. :)

[yt]E856C9aUjsk[/yt]

That is a nice form, I wouldn't mind trying it out if I ever loose 50lbs lol

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Is that actually a form, or just an XMA demo of some kind? I ask because it sure looks like XMA movie-fu stuff to me.

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is that actually a form, or just an XMA demo of some kind? I ask because it sure looks like XMA movie-fu stuff to me.

That is indeed their 3rd degree dan form, Balrog. As Dave suggests above, perhaps the AMAI has an individual interpretation component to their high level forms, where the martial artist adds in his own unique movements to a mandatory grouping of techniques. I don't know myself.

And I don't think it's XMA. If it were, there would be lots of gymnastics tumbling and exaggerated kihaps. :) I do see lots of advanced jumping and spinning kicks, which is perhaps a good thing, considering this is a modern form of taekwondo.

Latest Discussions