T.K.D. is dead

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Master Dan, may I ask you what "Martial Art to its true form", as you put it, really is about?
Well with just a little time and not to deep going into being a scriptorium or librarian by true form I mean back to its basics or origin's prior to commercial influence and more to its spiritual, well being or Martial aspect. Issues of State, National association or Sport importance are given way to personal well being, self defense and service to others and the community. Self healing, improvements in academic or technical skills resulting in a better quality of life is what's primary in the study and practice of the art be it KMA, CMA or others.

Towel Snapper

Green Belt
Reaction score
TKD isnt dead, it isnt very respected though due to its poor show vs other styles, it will always be popular with the flashy movie move crowd, it is one of the best looking arts.

I personally respect it, and I like the type of person that does TKD, usually fun loving enthusiastic and sometimes bright people, rather than the dumb, angry, aggressive, "hard man" sociopaths and narcissists that I find at my Muay Thai gym here in England.

I also respect a few of the techniques that have formidable stopping power like the spinning side kick for instance, if you get hit by that game over often times.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, as someone who has spent 30 years in Taekwondo, all I can say is.....it ain't dead. Not by a long shot.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Terry is talking about the death of this board on Martial Talk! I think it is going to liven up a bit! Don't know if the quality will get better but it might just become a little more fun and interesting!

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can ask some weird questions, if you like.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Terry is talking about the death of this board on Martial Talk!

"I haven't been here in ages and the place is gone downhill without me."

If that's the case why not post something that is better than everything else here??

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some times I feel terrible because TKD dojangs are water down the techs, and well... like it or not that's the way it is, a few months ago when I taught TKD in the late class (two times per week) I had not many students, most of times just two and in very rare times four to five, my class was about technike, one steps, self defense, poomsae and kyorugy, I was happy cause I was transmiting my knowlege to two persons, and the boys and girls of the late night clase like it cause they were there to practice TKD not WTF sparring.

Now my class is gone, I mean the new sambonim deleted in favour of some kind of cardio-zumba.... what ever so I go to asist the new boss and some times she let me do my thing.

TKD is not dead inside of me, it's alive and wanting to share.... so let's see how it works the next weeks with the new boss, one thing is for sure the new boss want me the next hallowen in costume and partying with the kids... well.... o.k. so lets do it and see how it works, if I can break the pumking piñata with a dollyo chagui nice LOL.

Manny

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Some times I feel terrible because TKD dojangs are water down the techs, and well... like it or not that's the way it is, a few months ago when I taught TKD in the late class (two times per week) I had not many students, most of times just two and in very rare times four to five, my class was about technike, one steps, self defense, poomsae and kyorugy, I was happy cause I was transmiting my knowlege to two persons, and the boys and girls of the late night clase like it cause they were there to practice TKD not WTF sparring.

Now my class is gone, I mean the new sambonim deleted in favour of some kind of cardio-zumba.... what ever so I go to asist the new boss and some times she let me do my thing.

TKD is not dead inside of me, it's alive and wanting to share.... so let's see how it works the next weeks with the new boss, one thing is for sure the new boss want me the next hallowen in costume and partying with the kids... well.... o.k. so lets do it and see how it works, if I can break the pumking piñata with a dollyo chagui nice LOL.

Manny

Sadly, it sounds like you're having difficulty dealing with the realities of TKD as a business. Frankly, you and two students mean the school is loosing money on that class. And for a commercial school, that means closure.

Are there programs like the YMCA in your neck of the woods? Running our school at the Y means we're not a commercial venture, which frees us from the need to make the sort of compromises that are too often required in order to keep the doors open.

It also means we have to share space, and limits how many classes we can offer each week, so it's not perfect, but you might look into non-commercial schools in your area.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score

Manny

I know that, the goju ryu class i go to stays that way, it appears many people don't like traditional martial arts. I could be wrong but there's a lot of lazy people. And a lot of people who do join expect it to look like something you would see in a Jackie chan movie or karate kid. And most people don't want to practice punches in horse stance or pushups

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
And most people don't want to practice punches in horse stance or pushups
I don't mind pushups, as I see the value in the exercise.

I don't like punching in a horse stance. I think most students have worse punching skill than leg strength. Consequently, I think most students would be better to punch for 5 minutes like a boxer, and learn that skill, than to sit in a horse stance for 5 minutes to work on leg strength. Someone here often posts that you fight like you train. I'd like to see more realistic punching in training. (I come from a KKW background rather than ITF).

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score

I don't like punching in a horse stance. I think most students have worse punching skill than leg strength. Consequently, I think most students would be better to punch for 5 minutes like a boxer, and learn that skill, than to sit in a horse stance for 5 minutes to work on leg strength. Someone here often posts that you fight like you train. I'd like to see more realistic punching in training. (I come from a KKW background rather than ITF).

Personally i prefer kotekitai but pushups are good too never had problem with them

If punch improve punches, knuckle pushups may help

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
By the way of something interesting? Has anyone watched the fighting ring changed to a circle personally. I am thinking 3 years ago it was tried in Korea

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I mind pushups being done during class... Class time is for training. Conditioning is for home. If someone doesn't know how to do a proper pushup, then spend enough time to teach it. But I think it's a colossal waste of valuable class time to do general conditioning during class.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
By the way of something interesting? Has anyone watched the fighting ring changed to a circle personally. I am thinking 3 years ago it was tried in Korea

The ocatagon ring is the new fighting ring mandated by the Wtf...

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally, I think WTF sparring would benefit more from rule changes that allow a wider use of the TKD skillset than from changing the shape of the ring.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know, Dirty Dog. I think if you equate competitive arts to other sports, Taekwondo is like soccer. Anyone can throw or slap a ball. In contrast, Volleyball is like boxing.

I do wish there was more opportunity to practice more realistic sparring, but I like having a point system that emphasizes kicks.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know, Dirty Dog. I think if you equate competitive arts to other sports, Taekwondo is like soccer. Anyone can throw or slap a ball. In contrast, Volleyball is like boxing.

I do wish there was more opportunity to practice more realistic sparring, but I like having a point system that emphasizes kicks.

I honestly don't get the comparison.

You can have a point system that rewards kicks (as it already does, by giving bonus points to jumping or spinning kicks or kicks to the head) while still allowing points to be scored with something as insanely impractical as a punch to the head.

WTF sparring is one reason why so many people (incorrectly) assume that TKD is not a "real" martial art, and/or that it's not an effective tool for self defense.

Best ruleset? Something akin to the PKA rules or K1 rules. You can reward kicks (especially the more difficult ones) with bonus points, as is done now, while allowing the use of a much larger portion of the skills of TKD.

Latest Discussions