Need help with Diet

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well a little update I have actually gained 8 lbs. over the last month, I am sure it is the holiday season to blame and really all this has done is motivate me like mad to get to my goal. I will keep going until I die or the wieght is gone whichever comes first? OK maybe not actually die QUI since I can see what you was about to say.

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Did you say you just turned 40 ?
icon12.gif
. I've been hearing the Atkins diet is a little dangerous but have to admit I don't know much about it.
Atkins and even very low-carb diets have been proved to lower triglycerides by a great amount and increase the good HDL cholesterol. Sometimes, LDL rises but it's usually the fluffly large particle that is harmless. Hypertension drops like a rock. Type II Diabetes comes under control.

My stepfather's cardiologist put him on the Atkins' diet (the actual Atkins' diet) as low-fat (which is truly a fad diet) caused his triglycerides to rise and his arteries to continue plaqueing. No more stents needed!

Paleo and Atkins' are not the same diets. Many Paleo diets are low in saturated fats and also avoid dairy. Often Paleo diets are very high in fruits and veggies as well.

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well a little update I have actually gained 8 lbs. over the last month, I am sure it is the holiday season to blame and really all this has done is motivate me like mad to get to my goal. I will keep going until I die or the wieght is gone whichever comes first? OK maybe not actually die QUI since I can see what you was about to say.
Yeah, never give up. It may take a frustrating while to find the right diet.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
the easiest diet by far that i ever tried was the warrior diet. it flies in the face of conventional dieting wisdom but it leaned me up when i was on it. you can google more on it but here's the breakdown:

during the day eat very little; just enough to keep you functioning. what you eat should be lean proteins (fish, nuts, whey protien drinks, etc) & raw fruits & veggies. when i was a contractor i kept a bag of trail mix in my truck & would have a handful every so often, but during the day you really need to stay hungry.

then comes the good part: 4 hours before you go to bed you can eat as much as you want. it should be in this order: leafy greens, cooked veggies, protein, carbs. your carbs can include some ice cream or a piece of cake if you want, it really doesn't matter.

even if you don't follow the order strictly, you will still get benefits from following the undereating/overeating cycle. one advantage of this diet is that you only need to be disciplined one day at a time. in just a few hours you can eat that pie if you want to.

the other advantage is that this diet is just as conducive to muscle growth as it is to fat loss. so you may not see the pounds fall off per se but if you moniter body fat percentage (much more important than actual weight) you will get noticable results fairly quick.

good luck!

jf

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
the easiest diet by far that i ever tried was the warrior diet. it flies in the face of conventional dieting wisdom but it leaned me up when i was on it. you can google more on it but here's the breakdown:

during the day eat very little; just enough to keep you functioning. what you eat should be lean proteins (fish, nuts, whey protien drinks, etc) & raw fruits & veggies. when i was a contractor i kept a bag of trail mix in my truck & would have a handful every so often, but during the day you really need to stay hungry.

then comes the good part: 4 hours before you go to bed you can eat as much as you want. it should be in this order: leafy greens, cooked veggies, protein, carbs. your carbs can include some ice cream or a piece of cake if you want, it really doesn't matter.

even if you don't follow the order strictly, you will still get benefits from following the undereating/overeating cycle. one advantage of this diet is that you only need to be disciplined one day at a time. in just a few hours you can eat that pie if you want to.

the other advantage is that this diet is just as conducive to muscle growth as it is to fat loss. so you may not see the pounds fall off per se but if you moniter body fat percentage (much more important than actual weight) you will get noticable results fairly quick.

good luck!

jf
I'd take the advice of someone like Ori Hofmekler anytime over fat dieticians! I have the Warrior Diet book.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
he certainly looks like he knows what he's talking about, doesn't he?

jf

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
he certainly looks like he knows what he's talking about, doesn't he?

jf
Absolutely he does. Doesn't Pavel Tsatsouline follow the same diet. I couldn't put my hands on the book, but isn't there a world class MA and his wife who follow The Warrior Diet. BJJ?

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Absolutely he does. Doesn't Pavel Tsatsouline follow the same diet. I couldn't put my hands on the book, but isn't there a world class MA and his wife who follow The Warrior Diet. BJJ?

yeah i think pavel follows it as well. i know fedor follows it as well & though you couldn't tell by looking at him, it seems to work for him as far as performance goes.

jf

Latest Discussions