Should BB test be held in a Seedy Dive Bar!

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Very cool everyone sees the humor in this thread!:whip:

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it should be in a dive bar, especially for poom rank students.:flammad:

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kind of a fun questions since many people use this analogy! Can a BB or prospective BB defend him/herself in a bar fight scenario?

It is a fun question...great question too, since it gets at the heart of the whole "what is a Black Belt" thingy from so many other threads. Like I said in the "should kids be black belts" thread: If being able to win a fight in a dive bar is the defining characteristic of a Black Belt, then:
* Most kids probably can't be Black Belts
* But then most old people probably can't either (should old people turn-in their Black Belts past a certain age?)
* Most handicapped probably people can't be Black Belts either (there goes para-taekwondo!)
* Many women, and a lot of shorter/smaller people generally will be less likely to earn a Black Belt
* Conversely: tall, big (or even overweight), young men will probably have an easier time earning a Black Belt

Also...I suspect we're a lot more likely nowadays to meet violence from teen gangs than from bar fights (even in many suburbs, surprisingly). So I propose the bar fight analogy be replaced with the "targeted by four teenage gang members as part of their gang initiation" analogy.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. In fact, I'll go one further and say that guys have to go into the bar wearing a dress......:lfao:

And the bar should be the hangout of any local 1%er motorcycle club... and you have to walk in, in your dress, and insult the club president. Then knock his Harley over.

More seriously -- it all trips back to the simple question of "what does a black belt mean?" If you're going to say that your black belts are the baddest mofos around, yep. Absolutely. In fact, that should be phase one. Phase two should involve a similar sort of insult at the nearest available military spec ops unit's preferred bar. Phase three? Straight into the prison yard.

If, however, your claims are more modest and limited to a certain degree of mastery of the art's syllabus? Nah.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is a fun thread! I know quite a few very good youth BB and some very bad ones! The same could be said for adults!

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is a fun thread! I know quite a few very good youth BB and some very bad ones! The same could be said for adults!

I think the same could also be said about most anything. There are good welders and then there are welders that couldn't weld their way out of a paper bag ;)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes. In fact, I'll go one further and say that guys have to go into the bar wearing a dress......:lfao:

Funny you should mention that. It is end of season footy trip time. Lots of men in dresses.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Heck yes it should be held in a seedy bar and the tester has to but all the rounds of drinks.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
How many poomse do you have to perform?

At least 8 after a mandatory imbibing of no less than the equivalent of a six-pack of stout or something stronger. And for reality have at least one patron occassionally hurl a bottle at the testee while he/she is performing said poomsae.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not a funny reply, but in ancient times I trained at a school with fairly tough standards for bb. The bb candidates had to spar each other and the bottom 1 or 2 had to retest at the next opportunity. Kinda rough IMO. Most of the failees just quit altogether.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know this thread is kind of tongue and cheek, but I have heard of schools that would take their potential BB's into a bar and egg a fight on for their test. This was in the 70's when things like this weren't exactly frowned upon.

Reminds me of my instructor. He has admonished the BB's several times, with statements like "Complancency in training equals an *** kicking in the street". Also, when some BB's were getting cocky, he named one of the local hangouts for a lot of hands-on blue collar workers and said he'd be glad to take them down there and have those guys show them a thing or two about what hard physical labor and a tough attitude will do for you, training or not.

People need to realize that being a BB isn't some magical level that makes you invincible. It also means very different things based on style/school/organization etc. For many, it just means you are ready to really start learning.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not a funny reply, but in ancient times I trained at a school with fairly tough standards for bb. The bb candidates had to spar each other and the bottom 1 or 2 had to retest at the next opportunity. Kinda rough IMO. Most of the failees just quit altogether.

I think that used to be part of the BB test in a lot of schools, at least in Korea, to have to fight two or three current BB holders. Also to create your own kata. I have no idea what the standards are now. I am only going off people I knew who attained BBs in the 60's, both in the US and Korea.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Does this seedy bar have Rolling Rock?

Latest Discussions