Sunday Liquor Sales

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
An article from my paper the other day. This discussion was brought up a while ago, in the paper, seems to have been put on the back burner, but has once again surfaced for debate. Thought it'd be interesting to hear the thoughts/opinions of members here. :)

State-line package store owners and their state representatives are again pushing for Sunday liquor sales and, once again, store owners and legislators in the state's interior are resisting the proposed change, saying that many stores can't afford to open on a seventh day every week.

The perennial issue, however, has a new twist this year: Supporters say the state could use a shot of extra tax revenue in a time of looming, massive deficits.

"I view it as a way to raise revenue for the state and as a way to keep our small business owners afloat in a tough time for our state," said state Sen. John A. Kissel, R-Enfield, whose bill would give store owners the option of opening on Sundays.

Some legislators and liquor store owners said that allowing Sunday openings would encourage residents to spend their money in the state instead of going to New York, Massachusetts and Rhode Island, all of which permit Sunday sales.

More

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I say lets go back to the Blue Law, when everything was closed on Sunday and let people have some rest.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can't afford it??...The amount of people that I see attempting to purchase liquore at a local outlet on a Sunday says different..The owner will sometimes forget to turn off his OPEN sign and people will from as early as 9AM attempt to enter his store..

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Now, either way, this really doesn't effect me. I really don't drink, and I would not call the occassional drink at a holiday or function from time to time, even anything close to a social drink.

I have to wonder just how much extra money this would bring into the state, if stores were open on Sunday. A while ago, the law passed to allow stores to stay open until 9pm, however, its an option, and there are some stores that choose to close at 8pm.

As the article states, the majority of stores in the area are 'mom and pop' type settings, so unless they hired the extra help, I could see why some of them would want to have at least one day off.

For a short time, myself, as well as my father and grandfather, worked part time at a small, family owned store. This store was run by a long time friend of my family, and we offered to help from time to time. I usually worked for a few hours on Saturday. Now, per the state law, you have to be out by closing time. Doesn't matter if you've managed to make it to the store by closing time, you have to be out. So if the store closes at 8, you need to physically be out by that time. I was amazed at the number of last minute arrivals, some arriving a bit too late, only to try to open the door and then get upset because they could not get in. Hmm..well, I find it hard to believe that they didn't have time to get there by closing or have someone else make the pickup. Additionally, regardless of which direction they were coming from, there were other stores that they would have passed by, to reach ours. So, whos to blame for that one? LOL.

Couldn't people make their purchase and get enough on Sat. to avoid having to make another run on Sunday?

Like I said, either way, it will not effect me. I just feel bad for the store owners that won't get time off, or as much time as they would like.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Couldn't people make their purchase and get enough on Sat. to avoid having to make another run on Sunday?

One of our side jobs on Fri and Sat is the local liquore store..The same people that I see there on Friday buy large amounts seem to return on Sat to buy more..

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are a lot of "blue" laws still on the books. My state is arguing over the same thing in the article.

Get 'em all out of the way. It'll make our state government feel like they are doing something.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One of our side jobs on Fri and Sat is the local liquore store..The same people that I see there on Friday buy large amounts seem to return on Sat to buy more..

Oh, I know what you mean. That, IMO, is an addiction.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh, I know what you mean. That, IMO, is an addiction.

These folks come in and cash their temp work agency checks and then proceed to spend the bulk of it on beer, wine, hard liquore, cigarettes and lottery...They are back on Sat to repeat the process...

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay I used to do some shopping on Sunday morning either when I was not going to church or just after church. I must say I was always pretty perturbed when I could not buy a bottle of wine, etc. along with my groceries. I think the laws need to go away. Plus yes indeed it will help the businesses!

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
These folks come in and cash their temp work agency checks and then proceed to spend the bulk of it on beer, wine, hard liquore, cigarettes and lottery...They are back on Sat to repeat the process...

*shakes head* Its nice to see that these folks are spending their cash on something productive.:rolleyes:

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can't afford it??...The amount of people that I see attempting to purchase liquore at a local outlet on a Sunday says different..The owner will sometimes forget to turn off his OPEN sign and people will from as early as 9AM attempt to enter his store..

No doubt about it as I have seen this in various locals as well!

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow somthing not Insane about Illinois. You can buy Alcohol here on sundays as long as its after 12 noon.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow somthing not Insane about Illinois. You can buy Alcohol here on sundays as long as its after 12 noon.

actually Cryo that is the way it is in Michigan as well. Personally I think that law should be repealed. Not that I want to drink Sunday morning but that it is an antiquated law.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In my state (Alabama), the state-controlled liquor stores (ABC stores) close at 700 PM, from Mon - Sat. Having to go from the lab to the dojo with very little pause every day, leaves little time to stop by to snag a bottle of whisky.

I'd actually like it if they would open things up on Sunday, but since I'm in the Deep South, that isn't going to happen. :)

So, it's my responsibility to get what I want on a Saturday. If I don't take the initiative, I have two choices:

1) Buy from the package store, where my bottle of George Dickel #12 whisky is going to cost me an additional 5-6 bucks. I really dislike the local package store, since the owner there is rather uncouth.

or

2) Buy beer, and enjoy that instead.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay I used to do some shopping on Sunday morning either when I was not going to church or just after church. I must say I was always pretty perturbed when I could not buy a bottle of wine, etc. along with my groceries. I think the laws need to go away. Plus yes indeed it will help the businesses!

Most grocery stores in my area sell beer. Perhaps instead of forcing a liquor store to open on Sunday, grocery stores, in addition to the beer, could add a few other things, such as wine. Any hard liquor would still need to be purchased at a liquor store.

Another option could be short hours on Sunday. Example: On Saturdays, banks are open for a few hours only. Perhaps liquor stores could do the same thing. It would allow people to make a purchase as well as give the owners of the stores a good portion of the day to do what they want.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmmm...this doesn't pass the sniff test.

I can understand why Sunday would not be a profitable day for Liquor store owners. While I have never been in the business, I can guess that Sunday may not be a big-selling day for liquor. I don't drink very often, but Massachusetts recently went through some local changes permitting liquor sales on Sunday. The liquor store that was near my old house was open on Sunday, but never looked extremely busy (at least, not like they were on Saturdays).

Most liquor store workers are non-exempt and therefore, paid by the hour. Being open on Sunday would require non-exempt workers to be paid at time-and-a-half.

CT is one of a few states that has a "day of rest" law, meaning a law that mandates one day of rest in seven for all workers, with very few exceptions. It is possible to schedule a worker for six days a week, but not seven days a week. Being open on Sunday may mean staffing issues.

So...higher labor costs, more complicated labor logistics, lower sales, I can see why some liquor stores cannot afford to be open on Sundays. There are some restaurants near me that are closed on one particular day of the week, for similar reasons.

What I find to be odd is the way this is being handled in the legislature.

If the state is changed to permit alcohol to be sold seven days a week, there is nothing in CT law (that I know of) to mandate that liquor be open seven days a week. A store that does not find it profitable to be open on Sunday can simply not open on Sunday.

Makes me wonder what else is going on behind the scenes...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

That's how it should be.....What's really funny is the owner will give the customer plastic cups and they will sit in their cars drinking..Then they ***** when I get them for DUI...

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I can understand why Sunday would not be a profitable day for Liquor store owners. While I have never been in the business, I can guess that Sunday may not be a big-selling day for liquor. I don't drink very often, but Massachusetts recently went through some local changes permitting liquor sales on Sunday. The liquor store that was near my old house was open on Sunday, but never looked extremely busy (at least, not like they were on Saturdays).

Most liquor store workers are non-exempt and therefore, paid by the hour. Being open on Sunday would require non-exempt workers to be paid at time-and-a-half.

CT is one of a few states that has a "day of rest" law, meaning a law that mandates one day of rest in seven for all workers, with very few exceptions. It is possible to schedule a worker for six days a week, but not seven days a week. Being open on Sunday may mean staffing issues.

So...higher labor costs, more complicated labor logistics, lower sales, I can see why some liquor stores cannot afford to be open on Sundays. There are some restaurants near me that are closed on one particular day of the week, for similar reasons.

If the state is changed to permit alcohol to be sold seven days a week, there is nothing in CT law (that I know of) to mandate that liquor be open seven days a week. A store that does not find it profitable to be open on Sunday can simply not open on Sunday.

The big thing about it is the chemists and grocery stores that sell liquor want to be able to do it seven days a week. That would make the liquor stores keep the same hours to be competitive.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Good points Carol. :) Of course, if we think about it, even businesses that are open on Sundays, have short hours. There is obviously a reason for this. Also, I'm sure there're days of the week where sales vary. Ex: Monday may not be a big selling day at liquor stores, but towards the end of the week, such as Thur. thru Sat....those are probably higher selling days. I have my doubts that Sunday would be a really profitable day. I mean, if the law were to pass, would it be worth the time and money spent if you're only making a small amount?

I say either keep it the way it is, with no sales on Sunday, and give the store owners a rest or open for 4hrs. If someone can't either make the purchase themselves or have someone else make it for them, I don't know what to tell ya.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The so-called "blue laws" are a holdover from the temperance movement. There's no reason for them to be on the books.

Latest Discussions