America's crazy laws

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
here's a taste...click the link to see the entire list

Alabama
· It is illegal to wear a fake moustache that causes laughter in church.
California
It is illegal to eat an orange in your bath tub
Georgia
It is illegal to take a bath of orange peel.
what is it about oranges and bathtubs?...

Indiana
Citizens are not allowed to attend a cinema or theatre nor ride in a public streetcar within at least four hours after eating garlic.
okay...that actually makes a little sense :D

Iowa
Kisses may last for as much as, but no more than, five minutes.
Kansas
In Natoma, Kansas, it's illegal to throw knives at men wearing striped suits.
Can I throw knives at people wearing solid-color suits?

Kentucky
In Kentucky every citizen of is required to take a shower once a year.
Massachusetts
A woman can not be on top in sexual activities.
Missouri
In Springfield, door to door salesman are prohibited from selling their goods while standing in the middle of the road, screaming at passing vehicles.
heh...the way people drive in this town, this one makes perfect sense.

New Mexico
In Carrizozo, it's forbidden for a female to appear unshaven in public.
North Carolina
If a man and a woman who aren't married go to a hotel/motel and register themselves as married then, according to state law, they are legally married.
Beats spending a $10k on a wedding... :p

Texas
There is an old law in Texas that states you are unable to tuck your pants into one boot unless you own ten or more cattle.
Virginia
It is illegal to tickle women
Enjoy...http://crazytopics.blogspot.com/2007/01/craziest-laws-in-america.html

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Quote:
Kansas
In Natoma, Kansas, it's illegal to throw knives at men wearing striped suits.
Can I throw knives at people wearing solid-color suits?

I just picturing some circus show and some guy impaled the guy in the clown suit so they came up with that stupid law.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Massachusetts
A woman can not be on top in sexual activities.
I double-dog-dare ya to find an actual citation in the Massachusetts General Laws stating this. ;) Funny, but most or all of this is made up. There are some peculiar laws still on the books though.

For example, you can't sell little chicks or ducklings that have been dyed another color...

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/272-80d.htm

CHAPTER 272. CRIMES AGAINST CHASTITY, MORALITY, DECENCY AND GOOD ORDER

Chapter 272: Section 80D. Living rabbits, baby chickens, ducklings or other fowl; sale, barter or gift

Section 80D. No person shall sell, offer for sale, barter or give away as premiums living baby chickens, ducklings or other fowl under two months of age.
No person shall sell, offer for sale, barter, display or give away living rabbits, chickens, ducklings or other fowl which have been dyed, colored or otherwise treated so as to impart to them an artificial color...
It's also against the law in Mass. to reproach God, Jesus Christ, or the Holy Ghost. :eek:

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/272-36.htm

CHAPTER 272. CRIMES AGAINST CHASTITY, MORALITY, DECENCY AND GOOD ORDER

Chapter 272: Section 36. Blasphemy

Section 36. Whoever wilfully blasphemes the holy name of God by denying, cursing or contumeliously reproaching God, his creation, government or final judging of the world, or by cursing or contumeliously reproaching Jesus Christ or the Holy Ghost, or by cursing or contumeliously reproaching or exposing to contempt and ridicule, the holy word of God contained in the holy scriptures shall be punished by imprisonment in jail for not more than one year or by a fine of not more than three hundred dollars, and may also be bound to good behavior.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I was in Boston back in 2003 and wanted to get a permit for my beard. Didn't work out. As Carol said, these are often no longer on the books or as often as not simply made up for fun.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Alright, here is one for you.....

Tell me what the crime is that is illegal in Michigan and IS on the books. I will read you what it says and then try and guess. After a few guesses, I will state the crime and provide the statute.

Any person who shall commit the abominable and detestable crime against nature either with mankind or with any animal shall be guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment in the state prison not more than 15 years, or is such person was at the time of the said offense a sexually delinquint person, may be punishable by imprisonment in the state prison for an indeterminate term, the minimum of which shall be one day and the maximum of which shall be life.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Alright, here is one for you.....

Tell me what the crime is that is illegal in Michigan and IS on the books. I will read you what it says and then try and guess. After a few guesses, I will state the crime and provide the statute.

Um... trying to make a real goose wear a tie, like the (concrete) ones you see on so many porches in Columbus?

Well, you asked... :D

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, no real guesses.

That is the law as quoted in Michigan for 'sodomy'.

Latest Discussions