Sunday Liquor Sales

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not a business owner and not in the liquor industry, so I don't understand why opening on Sunday would be less profitable than opening on, say, Tuesday. At least on Sunday people are (mostly) off work and there are sporting events to watch. If you can't afford to open one extra day, why not shut down on Monday or something?

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Because the theory is that people have a finite amount of money to spend. Opening longer hours only spreads out that spending. If you are used to buying your beer on Saturday, will the store being open on Sunday make you buy more or just give you the option of another dsy to spend the same beer money?

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Because the theory is that people have a finite amount of money to spend. Opening longer hours only spreads out that spending. If you are used to buying your beer on Saturday, will the store being open on Sunday make you buy more or just give you the option of another dsy to spend the same beer money?

That's what I do. If I know I want a bottle of wine with my wife for the weekend or something, I pick it up Saturday afternoon because I know they will be closed on Sunday (we often have some on Sunday evening). Now that the sell liquor here on Sunday, it doesn't mean I spend more, just means I can change my timing.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's what I do. If I know I want a bottle of wine with my wife for the weekend or something, I pick it up Saturday afternoon because I know they will be closed on Sunday (we often have some on Sunday evening). Now that the sell liquor here on Sunday, it doesn't mean I spend more, just means I can change my timing.

The Wall Street Journal had a couple of articles on the U.S. alcoholic beverage market when the InBev-Budweiser deal was announced. Basically, the liquor industry knows that alcoholic beverage sales are flat, because most people's drinking habits are essentially flat.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score

Then why not open one day a week?

The thing is, for most people Sunday is a full day off with plenty of options to fill it in with. So if, for example, my friend decides to have an impromptu get-together to watch a game, I'm SOL if I want to stop on the way to pick up some suds.

At the least, let the grocery stores sell on Sunday; they're going to be open anyway.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can grocery stores sell liquor in CT?

MA is a real oddball state...a grocery store or convenience store can get a liquor license, but if the store is part of a chain, only 3 locations in the entire state can sell liquor.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In NY grocery stores can only sell beer, although Governor David "how the hell did that happen?" Paterson is pushing for grocery and convenience stores to be able to sell wine. You can't buy alcohol anywhere before noon on a Sunday. As Cory pointed out, it's kind of inconvenient if you're looking to snag some brews for a last minute football party or golf game.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In Indiana the independent liquor stores oppose this idea because they figure that they won't sell any more because the people who want to buy from them already do. They figure being open one more day is a cost to them but not to the Wal-Marts etc. who will really reap the benefits from this.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting thread.

Sunday shopping -- across the board -- was prohibited in Ontario for many a year under what was called "The Lord's Day Act." Convenience stores were open. Many restaurants were closed. Our Provincially supervised beer and liquor stores were shuttered.

I think it was in the late eighties or early nineties that the Liquor Control Board of Ontario (owned and operated by the Province) and Brewers' Retail (owned by the brewers, licensed by the Province) opened their doors on Sundays. I can even remember a time when you couldn't order a drink in a restaurant on Sunday, unless you ordered food as well. "Tavern Licenses," which allow establishments to serve liquor without having to serve food or maintain a particular ratio of the two are rare. Most establishements are licensed as "restaurants" and have to make some percentage of sales in food.

While some of our past laws were relics of the strong temperance movement in parts of Canada, I do like some of the government controls. The Beer Store and The Liquor Store and spotlessly clean, well-staffed, and very secure. They've been designed to discourage a lot of problems. The large interiors are well-lit and easily viewed from the street. The entrances and windows are unobstructed. From a safety point of view, I think selling beer in our privately owned corner stores -- as many here have called for -- would be a terrible mistake. I can just picture operators of these tiny cramped stores getting gunned down.

Also, the liquor store staff get a union wage and benefits, and they don't goof around with selling liquor to minors because there's a lot for them to lose. As for operating hours, it's now a seven day a week operation. Some stores are open til midnight. I have no idea what hour they open.

Years ago, I think the city of Edmonton tried opening its liquor stores later in the morning in an ill-advised effort to curb the drinking of long-term street alcoholics. It backfired. When the fellas had a morning Jones, they went to the convenience store and purchased or stole alcohol substitutes, like after shave or vanilla extract.

There are limits to how much the state (or Province) can curb the appetites of its citizens.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In Michigan it is no alcohol at all until noon on Sunday.

Kreth is right in that these are hold over laws with no relevance today.
icon6.gif

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my state (Alabama), the state-controlled liquor stores (ABC stores) close at 700 PM, from Mon - Sat. Having to go from the lab to the dojo with very little pause every day, leaves little time to stop by to snag a bottle of whisky.

I'd actually like it if they would open things up on Sunday, but since I'm in the Deep South, that isn't going to happen. :)

So, it's my responsibility to get what I want on a Saturday. If I don't take the initiative, I have two choices:

1) Buy from the package store, where my bottle of George Dickel #12 whisky is going to cost me an additional 5-6 bucks. I really dislike the local package store, since the owner there is rather uncouth.

or

2) Buy beer, and enjoy that instead.

I learned in the service not to come between a Southern boy and his whiskey. Hell, or to be around them when they're drinking it. Otherwise, I gotta be one of the folks to carry them back to base, change them out of their urinated clothes, wipe the puke offa their face, and tuck them in.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can grocery stores sell liquor in CT?

MA is a real oddball state...a grocery store or convenience store can get a liquor license, but if the store is part of a chain, only 3 locations in the entire state can sell liquor.

Grocery stores here primarily sell beer. You will find some drink mix stuff as well, but on Sunday, nothing is sold. If you were looking for any hard liquor, that will only be found in a liquor store.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not a business owner and not in the liquor industry, so I don't understand why opening on Sunday would be less profitable than opening on, say, Tuesday. At least on Sunday people are (mostly) off work and there are sporting events to watch. If you can't afford to open one extra day, why not shut down on Monday or something?

Monday sales would typically be a bit lower than say a Fri or Sat. Why? Don't know for sure, but I would wager a guess, that you'd typically see functions or parties taking place on weekends. Someone who works Mon-Fri. I would think probably wouldn't get plastered on Mon and have to worry about going to work on Tue., vs. a weekend.

Its the same during holidays. Dec. was typically a busy time, yet as it draws closer to Christmas, you'd be surprised as to how much was sold.

Sunday, IMO, seems to be the quiet, family day. Many stores, aside from ones that sell alcohol, close early.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Because you have to balance convience against costs. With stores open 6 days a week, the 7th day is just extra convinience. The incremental costs may not be worth it.

The thing is, for most people Sunday is a full day off with plenty of options to fill it in with. So if, for example, my friend decides to have an impromptu get-together to watch a game, I'm SOL if I want to stop on the way to pick up some suds.

It calls for better planning...

At the least, let the grocery stores sell on Sunday; they're going to be open anyway.

That is fair. You trade selection for convenience.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Yes, pretty much, you will be out of luck. Of course, folks that live in a state that boarders one that sells, could just cross the line. Enfield, CT is not that far from MA, so, I'd imagine people would just cross over, buy, and head back home. IIRC, the article said something about that.

Yes, that was my suggestion as well. That, or possibly have a few hours on Sunday. Typically banks are open for 3hrs on Sat. So on a Sunday, liquor stores could open for a few hours.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Because you have to balance convience against costs. With stores open 6 days a week, the 7th day is just extra convinience. The incremental costs may not be worth it.

Exactly. If I owned a store, I would certainly weigh the cost of staying open, paying someone vs. how much income I generated that day.

It calls for better planning...

Exactly! Like I said, I was always amazed at the number of people that would come peeling into the parking lot, race to the door, only to find it locked....at 1 or 2 min to 8. Of course, those that did make it in, amazed me as well, because they still had no idea what they were looking for. I mean really, if you were making a pick up for someone and couldn't get yourself to the store earlier, at least know what you want, instead of pulling out your cell and asking, while the clock is ticking.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sunday closure laws are no different than laws requiring businesses to close five times a day for Muslim prayers. They are the direct imposition of someone's religious beliefs on another unwilling person. The sooner these remnants of theocracy are kicked over and buried the better.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, pretty much, you will be out of luck. Of course, folks that live in a state that boarders one that sells, could just cross the line. Enfield, CT is not that far from MA, so, I'd imagine people would just cross over, buy, and head back home. IIRC, the article said something about that.

That's the situation here too. Cities on the Kansas side of the KS/MO border have recently begun allowing Sunday sales, but before that it was a trip to Missouri if you had to make a purchase. Most of Kansas still doesn't allow it, but over here in the KC area I think they wanted a piece of the sales that were going to MO.

The argument that stores can't afford to open another day is pointless. Allow them to do it and let the owners make their own choice. It may be that there isn't enough custom to make it worth everyone's while, but if some choose to stay closed it may be economically feasible for the rest.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's the situation here too. Cities on the Kansas side of the KS/MO border have recently begun allowing Sunday sales, but before that it was a trip to Missouri if you had to make a purchase. Most of Kansas still doesn't allow it, but over here in the KC area I think they wanted a piece of the sales that were going to MO.

I think that practice will continue until a decision is made at some point. Of course, I'm sure the stores in MA are loving it though. "Sure CT., just go right on keeping your stores closed on Sunday. We'll gladly accept your residents over here.:)"

The argument that stores can't afford to open another day is pointless. Allow them to do it and let the owners make their own choice. It may be that there isn't enough custom to make it worth everyone's while, but if some choose to stay closed it may be economically feasible for the rest.

That is what happened with the 9pm closing time. It was passed that liquor stores could remain open until 9, but it was optional.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sunday closure laws are no different than laws requiring businesses to close five times a day for Muslim prayers. They are the direct imposition of someone's religious beliefs on another unwilling person. The sooner these remnants of theocracy are kicked over and buried the better.

The same could be said for the FLSA requirement of time-and-a-half wages for working on Sunday, or the states that have labor laws that mandate one day of rest in seven. Yet I don't here atheist groups, even the extreme oddballs, wanting to do away with either of those government mandates.

The issues have less to do with religion and more to do with the area culture. Personally I think they are outdated as well...but I also respect the fact that CT is not my state. ;) Plus their state troopers can be mean. Especially to out-of-state drivers. That like to occasionally exceed the speed limit. :rofl:

Latest Discussions