Sunday Liquor Sales

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sunday closure laws are no different than laws requiring businesses to close five times a day for Muslim prayers. They are the direct imposition of someone's religious beliefs on another unwilling person. The sooner these remnants of theocracy are kicked over and buried the better.

Tel,

Toronto was, until the 1960s, run pretty much by the Orange Lodge. Timothy Eaton, who founded a retailing empire, refused to sell tobacco in his department stores, and shuttered his store windows on Sundays, lest people stray downtown window shop instead of going to church. The city sidewalks were rolled up six o'clock.

We had a Provincial law at one point that prohibited selling or serving alcohol on election day until after the polls closed. A long, long time ago, the city was known as, Toronto the Good.

Ramirez

Black Belt
Reaction score
Tel,

Toronto was, until the 1960s, run pretty much by the Orange Lodge. Timothy Eaton, who founded a retailing empire, refused to sell tobacco in his department stores, and shuttered his store windows on Sundays, lest people stray downtown window shop instead of going to church. The city sidewalks were rolled up six o'clock.

We had a Provincial law at one point that prohibited selling or serving alcohol on election day until after the polls closed. A long, long time ago, the city was known as, Toronto the Good.

I remember how much of a nightmare it was trying to get all your shopping done on Saturday, I wonder what the observant Jews did.

Remember the old LCBOs Gordon? You would fill out a slip of paper, take to a guy behind a wicket, which pretty much resembled the wicket you see in films where the convict hands over his worldly goods, then the guy in back would bring back in a brown paper bag while looking at you with disdain.

I remember my father drinking Black Tower and Blue Nun back in the 70s and commenting on what excellent wine it was....I wouldn't use that ***** to clean my floors.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I remember my father drinking Black Tower and Blue Nun back in the 70s and commenting on what excellent wine it was....I wouldn't use that ***** to clean my floors.

I remember drinking Boones Farm Apple wine..

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I remember vomiting Boones Farm Apple wine. Good lord, that stuff was awful.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I remember vomiting Boones Farm Apple wine. Good lord, that stuff was awful.

Yeah me too....Drank so much of it that for years if I bit into a tart apple that first taste would recall memories of sleeping in the cool embrace of the porcelin godess...

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
See I do not understand the importance of buying hard liquor on Sunday, any real drunk has enough on hand for the entire weekend.:partyon::partyon:

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
See I do not understand the importance of buying hard liquor on Sunday, any real drunk has enough on hand for the entire weekend.:partyon::partyon:
Simple enough reason is it's our right to buy liquor on Sunday.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Exactly. If I owned a store, I would certainly weigh the cost of staying open, paying someone vs. how much income I generated that day.

The problem is that after a while, you will feel compelled to open anyway. Consumers are a fickle bunch. Even a loyal customer, if wanting to buy something on Sunday, may wander into the competition and decide to stay. You have not only lost That Sunday's business, but any future business as well.

Plus if you're in a mall, you don't have a choice of opening hours.

I remember how much of a nightmare it was trying to get all your shopping done on Saturday, I wonder what the observant Jews did.

We shopped during the week. And back in the day, it was not unusual for stores to close at 6pm Mon-Wed, open till 9pm Thu-Fri, and close at 5pm on Sat. If the woman was not at home, she had to shop on Thu night.

Ramirez

Black Belt
Reaction score
We shopped during the week. And back in the day, it was not unusual for stores to close at 6pm Mon-Wed, open till 9pm Thu-Fri, and close at 5pm on Sat. If the woman was not at home, she had to shop on Thu night.

That was a bit of a rhetorical question, I was trying to point out the unfairness of legislating Sunday as a day of rest for non-Christians,...thanks for pointing that out though, stores are open until 10:00 pm or even 24 hours now, I didn't even think about the store hours back then.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That was a bit of a rhetorical question, I was trying to point out the unfairness of legislating Sunday as a day of rest for non-Christians,...thanks for pointing that out though, stores are open until 10:00 pm or even 24 hours now, I didn't even think about the store hours back then.

Just curious Ramirez, since I brought this up with Tellner. Would you also support doing away with other laws regarding work on Sunday?

For example, in the U.S. if a non-exempt worker (which typically means a worker that is paid by the hour) has to work on a Sunday, then that worker must be paid at time-and-a-half for all hours worked.

I don't believe Ontario has the same law, but Ontario gives workers a right that the U.S. does not - the right to refuse work on Sunday.

I'm just curious. Not trying to prove a point or put you on the spot. For the record, I'm also one that thinks the blue laws are a bit ridiculous. ;)

Ramirez

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just curious Ramirez, since I brought this up with Tellner. Would you also support doing away with other laws regarding work on Sunday?

For example, in the U.S. if a non-exempt worker (which typically means a worker that is paid by the hour) has to work on a Sunday, then that worker must be paid at time-and-a-half for all hours worked.

I don't believe Ontario has the same law, but Ontario gives workers a right that the U.S. does not - the right to refuse work on Sunday.

I'm just curious. Not trying to prove a point or put you on the spot. For the record, I'm also one that thinks the blue laws are a bit ridiculous. ;)

You mean refusing to work on Sunday for religious reasons? Well I can't say it is unfair for Sundays to be enforced as a day of rest for non-Christians then force Christians to work on Sunday if it is against their religion.

I have no problem with the time and a half rule either although I would extend it to any observant Jews/Seventh Day Adventists etc. that is forced to work on a Saturday.

BTW: I think Ontario allows for right to refuse work for any religious day, i.e. a Jewish person can refuse to work on Saturday.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You mean refusing to work on Sunday for religious reasons? Well I can't say it is unfair for Sundays to be enforced as a day of rest for non-Christians then force Christians to work on Sunday if it is against their religion.

I have no problem with the time and a half rule either although I would extend it to any observant Jews/Seventh Day Adventists etc. that is forced to work on a Saturday.

BTW: I think Ontario allows for right to refuse work for any religious day, i.e. a Jewish person can refuse to work on Saturday.

You can refuse work for religious reason on any day. I'm not sure how that would be enforced for Xtian as there is no religious obligation to not work on Sunday, though I would suppose you must accomodate for time to go to church.

Overtime pay only comes into play after a certain number of hours in a week or on a statutory holiday, normal overtime is 1.5. Stat holiday is 2.5 (time + 1.5 bonus)

I work for a retail company. We have some stores that are in malls opened on stat holidays so we must open them. We never make money on those days.