Summertime uniforms

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What does everybody think about letting the kids and adult class just wear sweatpants and t-shirts one day a week to keep it informal or does your school have a strict policy about wearing uniform all the time.
Terry

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
During the Summer, it gets really hot, so we are allowed to wear gi pants and a school t-shirt. If no school t-shirt, then we must wear a full uniform. During the rest of the year, it is a full uniform requirement.

- Ceicei

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Virtually the same - dobak pants and a t-shirt, with rank belt; I'm not picky about what's on the t-shirt, as long as it's decent, and most students wear t-shirts from TKD events.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Summer is no uniforms for the kids for us, Adults are like that year round :)

Gi pants are still good though, hard to rip and got that extra groin region material to prevent splitage.

trueaspirer

Green Belt
Reaction score
During the summer months we can wear the school t-shirt w/ the gi pants, but we don't have to (everybody does).

trav101

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We wear normal street clothes in our class. I choose to wear shorts for the flexibility issue. The only guideline we have is to wear those shoes designed not to leave blackmarks on the expensive matting.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
We have uniforms, but are not required to wear them. We have belts, but are not required to wear them. (Unless testing, or in competiton. Then you where the whole she-bang.)

The only rule is you dont wear your belt unless you're wearing gi pants. And that's not a written rule, but everyone will make fun of you.

No shoes allowed, unless you wear them ONLY in the studio.

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I require everyone to start class in full uniform. If it's too uncomfortably hot, I allow them to remove their jackets, but that's it. However, instructors must wear a full uniform at all times.

Explorer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Full gi or school t-shirt w/gi pants and rank belt from Memorial Day to Labor Day. If we're filming the video podcast ... it's full uniforms for everybody.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
The tae kwon do uniform from my school is extremely lightweight so it is all good. In my school it is uniform all year long. No exception. We would call it sacrilege otherwise.

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Summertime uniforms for a koryu? Forget it. It's full dogi (keikogi and hakama) all year round. It's also difficult wearing the swords inside the obi without the hakama; the swords shift all over the place without the extra support. And yes, it does get awfully hot. Builds character. ;)

Same also goes for my Aikido class. Though I don't think it would be practical to wear street clothes to those classes, with all the uniform grabbing going on.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
During the Summer, it gets really hot, so we are allowed to wear gi pants and a school t-shirt. If no school t-shirt, then we must wear a full uniform. During the rest of the year, it is a full uniform requirement.

- Ceicei

That's exactly what we do. We do have a couple of themed days in the summer... "Dress like a ninja" day or "wear red white and blue" day.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our Karate club is somewhat strict on uniform and you are generally expected to wear your gi and treat the uniform with respect (do not even think of using your belt with anything else.) However it is no big deal if your cat peed on your gi and you have to wear t-shirt and sweatpants a time or two. I think t-shirts have been alowed during the hottest part of summer. Also when training outdoors the gi is not used.

The Ju jutsu and Kobudo schools I trained with alowed you to wear almost whatever you wanted. However the hakama was to be worn properly. There was rumors of people being naked under... :lol:

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Summer is no uniforms for the kids for us, Adults are like that year round :)

Gi pants are still good though, hard to rip and got that extra groin region material to prevent splitage.

Same here. :)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
What does everybody think about letting the kids and adult class just wear sweatpants and t-shirts one day a week to keep it informal or does your school have a strict policy about wearing uniform all the time.
Terry

In the warmer months, we usually wear gi pants and a tshirt for the Kenpo classes. Testing of course is full uniform regardless of the weather. My Arnis class is more informal. The school where we hold the classes gets quite warm during the Summer months, so wearing shorts and a tshirt is fine. Shorts/Sweats/sweatshirt/tshirt is pretty much the common clothing.

Mike

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:
"Dress like a ninja"
That's profiling if I ever heard it. What's next, referring to the ninjutsu forums as "you people"?

:uhyeah:

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In our school, you wear full gi for all classes. The only time you can get away with it is if you happen to forget your gi (in which case you're doing a good bit of extra calisthenics).

Now, I do realize that many people complain about having to wear a full gi in hotter conditions, and I can certainly sympathize, but I often wonder, how many of them realize that there are premium uniforms that can help keep someone cooler? You don't have to suffer through the miseries of having a gi interfere with cooling.

There are uniforms such as Kamikaze's / Tokon's Sovereign, that are exceptionally well-designed, and wick away perspiration much better than any student uniform. You'll feel a lot cooler training in one of these, than, say, one of those cheap Century student uniforms that grossly stick to your body with even a small amount of perspiration, and rip with any amount of force.

I'm not going to kid you; a premium gi isn't going to be cheap. However, it's better to do things right from the start, than to have to suffer through more misery. These gi's are also going to last you a lot longer than a student uniform (if you follow the proper washing and drying instructions...).

There are several gi's in this category that I recommend:

Kamikaze / Tokon Europa
Arawaza Sapphire
Shureido NW series

Ask your instructors if they can order one of these for you. If you've been suffering with a cheap student uniform, you'll thank me later. Trust me. :)