uniforms?

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
few questions.
1. what uniforms are required to be worn in your dojo or in your training?
2. any specific colors?
3. in your opinion does it matter what colors?
4. are tabis worn regularly?
5. if you were teaching a class for children what gi or uniform would you have them wear?

in tew-ryu black gi's are worn with our colored belt. or you can where black gi pants and a rtms (rick tew's martial science) t-shirt. or you can where the rtms uniform. tabis are worn but mostley just outside. sometimes we don't wear any shoes outside.
imo i really like the way the black pants and white gi jacket look. not to practicle in outside training though. my brother used to practice hwa rang do and that is what he used to wear.
peace

althaur

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I don't think a set uniform is really important in any way. While a gi is practical for the dojo since they don't rip easily, how often will you be in that gi when you have to use the skills? The dojo that I train in now has people in gi, sweats and even jeans. The only definate is no shoes on the mats.

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
The standard for The Booj is a plain black karate-type gi and a white, green, or black belt (depending on rank, obviously), and that's what we generally wear in my dojo's indoor classes though we're not really formal about it -- really, anything one can move in comfortably is considered okay. One night a week we train outdoors in a public park, and for that one we wear regular street clothes.

The only major exception is the training night nearest to (or on) National Tartan Day (April 6) each year. For that class, the men in our dojo who have them (and it's rather a lot) train in their kilts.

And yes, we do tend to avoid high kicks that night. :boing2:

OP
E

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Dale Seago said:
The only major exception is the training night nearest to (or on) National Tartan Day (April 6) each year. For that class, the men in our dojo who have them (and it's rather a lot) train in their kilts.

And yes, we do tend to avoid high kicks that night. :boing2:
lol!

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We wear pretty much whatever.

Most of the students wear Black BDU pants and a tshirt. Many wear a gi jacket too... often open with no belt.

The Instructor usualy just wears BDU pants (camo or black) and a tshirt.

Everyone wears wrestling shoes, or somthing similar... no tabi, because they wear out too fast. Im considering a pair of Royal Elastic Chedals (Tabi style running shoes)

OP
E

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Everyone wears wrestling shoes, or somthing similar... no tabi, because they wear out too fast. Im considering a pair of Royal Elastic Chedals (Tabi style running shoes)
i saw some of those on one of your last post. i might have to get me some. not alot of traction but i guess tabi don't either.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Enson said:
i saw some of those on one of your last post. i might have to get me some. not alot of traction but i guess tabi don't either.

Right? Id really like a pair of the Nike brand ones... but they are so odd as far as availibility and colors.