Striking or grappling

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
So this isn't going to be an argument about which is better as I love them both but just wondering which one people enjoy more.

Personally I love grappling it's a lot of fun and it's fascinating to learn as there's so much to it but I just enjoy punching and kicking more. I enjoy hitting the bag and pads and I feel I get a better work out from it.

Again don't want this to be a striker vs grappler argument and I'm not talking about which would win In a fight just about what different people enjoy more.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So this isn't going to be an argument about which is better as I love them both but just wondering which one people enjoy more.

Personally I love grappling it's a lot of fun and it's fascinating to learn as there's so much to it but I just enjoy punching and kicking more. I enjoy hitting the bag and pads and I feel I get a better work out from it.

Again don't want this to be a striker vs grappler argument and I'm not talking about which would win In a fight just about what different people enjoy more.
people in general tend to gain more enjoyment from the things they are good at, so in a large part you are asking which of the two they are better at as that will most likely be,what they enjoy most.
personally i don't like extended rolling around on the floor with a smelly fat bloke, as apart from the hygiene issue the fat bloke tends to beat me,

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
personally i don't like extended rolling around on the floor with a smelly fat bloke, as apart from the hygiene issue the fat bloke tends to beat me,

You mean you don't like the taste of armpit?

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have not trained much grappling lately, so... it means striking #1.

10-15 years I would prefer grappling since I was more comfortable with that and not many grappling experts at that time. Being taken down was a gift for me, in training or IRL, and I would only bother in landing well. But things have changed since. :)

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I would answer by saying yes and both. I would also ask what you mean by grappling.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back in the day I loved to just bang. Hit, hit hard, get hit, all good. Got a bit older, started getting some exposure to opening the hands up, started liking that, as a whole new world of combative possibilities opened up. This was my hapkido time. Then got full-tilt into grappling when I got down to business in judo, then aikido.

Now, I'd say I strike so that I can grapple, then grapple so that I can strike. Grappling leads to control (if you're better/luckier at it than the opponent), and control leads to openings, and openings are exploited with some sort of finish, i.e. often a strike, but can be a choke, lock or a throw (if you're on pavement - which always makes me cringe for that poor dude).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have more fun grappling. I like working on the bag, but prefer working with a partner. And I can go harder (level of sweat), more often, in grappling. And getting completely owned by someone of far greater skill is more fun (and usually far less painful) in grappling.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back in the day I loved to just bang. Hit, hit hard, get hit, all good. Got a bit older, started getting some exposure to opening the hands up, started liking that, as a whole new world of combative possibilities opened up. This was my hapkido time. Then got full-tilt into grappling when I got down to business in judo, then aikido.

Now, I'd say I strike so that I can grapple, then grapple so that I can strike. Grappling leads to control (if you're better/luckier at it than the opponent), and control leads to openings, and openings are exploited with some sort of finish, i.e. often a strike, but can be a choke, lock or a throw (if you're on pavement - which always makes me cringe for that poor dude).
I really like the mix of the two. Grappling with no strikes always feels to me like I'm missing something I should be doing. And striking with no grappling just isn't as much fun for me.

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I like grappling myself but it does wear you down quick I have found in years past, especially days when you can't be bothered.

Striking can be great in drill training I used to love that when using Chi-Sau or other Wing Chun/JKD trapping drill exercise's.

Sometimes it was a combo day where we go from striking to take-downs and grappling techniques to arm locks etc.

But solid hours of just one is hard sometimes mentally you talk to yourself saying why I am I doing this, and miss a class the next week LoL

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I quite enjoy both. But then I enjoy most all aspects of martial training. In the reality of hand to hand fighting, striking happens standing and on the ground as well as grappling happens standing and on the ground. They are part of the same puzzle.
That same fat smelly bloke one dislikes rolling with I assume you don't mind striking, kicking and getting clinch up with.

On the grappling side I've rolled with very few fat persons. Most have been in quite good shape and I've have fewer incidents of smelly hygiene issues with grapplers than some strikers who never clean their sweaty moldy gloves, wraps, or mouthguards.

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What about when people fart, i have an embarrassing story to tell never mind off topic LoL

alright I tell it - I just couldn't stop one night had to excuse myself several times and pull out for awhile the movement caused it all and good food I gather LoL

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like both, but I'm a better striker than a grappler. But if I'm getting whooped, I'd rather get whooped grappling than striking.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You can take your opponent down 15 times in a role. You just can't knock your opponent down 15 times in a role.

In

- wrestling, you can go 100%.
- striking, you cannot.

You end up with a question mark in your head, "Can I truly knock him down?" You may never be able to find it out.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can take your opponent down 15 times in a role. You just can't knock your opponent down 15 times in a role.

In

- wrestling, you can go 100%.
- striking, you cannot.

You end up with a question mark in your head, "Can I truly knock him down?" You may never be able to find it out.
After about the 8th knock-down in a row, they get much easier to knock down. Those last 3 are gonna take very little effort.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Striking bcause I am better at it. Hate stand up wrestling because I suck at it.

I do it all so that at some stage I will get good at it.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

I see it like this. Say you have a steak on your plate.

What's a better utensil, a knife or a fork? Sure, you could get the job done with one or the other, but it works much better with both.

OP
M

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
I see it like this. Say you have a steak on your plate.

What's a better utensil, a knife or a fork? Sure, you could get the job done with one or the other, but it works much better with both.
That's not what I'm asking

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's not what I'm asking
Isn't it? it seems like you were asking which aspect of the game people enjoyed more. Am I mistaken?

If so, that is my answer. Striking is more fun if there is a risk of takedowns, it makes for a more cerebral striking. Likewise, grappling is more fun if there is a risk of strikes, it makes the roll a completely different experience.

If I for some reason could never combine them again, I guess I prefer to stand.

OP
M

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Isn't it? it seems like you were asking which aspect of the game people enjoyed more. Am I mistaken?

If so, that is my answer. Striking is more fun if there is a risk of takedowns, it makes for a more cerebral striking. Likewise, grappling is more fun if there is a risk of strikes, it makes the roll a completely different experience.

If I for some reason could never combine them again, I guess I prefer to stand.
Yes that's what I was asking but your last reply seemed to be answering which is better e.g what's a better utensil but if I'm mistaken apologies

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes that's what I was asking but your last reply seemed to be answering which is better e.g what's a better utensil but if I'm mistaken apologies
I guess thats the problem with metaphor in a written medium. I assumed you would take it in the context of the question, but I can see why you read it that way too.