Striking or grappling

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
LOL at this nitwit following us around threads and disagreeing with everything.

Another buthurt customer that can't hang :cool:

OP
M

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
LOL at this nitwit following us around threads and disagreeing with everything.

Another buthurt customer that can't hang :cool:
Hadn't even noticed lol....that's a bit sad tbh fine dislike the ones in his post if he wants but stalking someone to dislike posts is pretty sad. Like anyone here cares about dislikes

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So this isn't going to be an argument about which is better as I love them both but just wondering which one people enjoy more.

Personally I love grappling it's a lot of fun and it's fascinating to learn as there's so much to it but I just enjoy punching and kicking more. I enjoy hitting the bag and pads and I feel I get a better work out from it.

Again don't want this to be a striker vs grappler argument and I'm not talking about which would win In a fight just about what different people enjoy more.

I enjoy grappling a little bit more than striking. There's a sense of enjoyment I feel when I sweep, lock or throw someone in sparring, yet I don't feel the same enjoyment when I land a strike.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I enjoy grappling a little bit more than striking. There's a sense of enjoyment I feel when I sweep, lock or throw someone in sparring, yet I don't feel the same enjoyment when I land a strike.
I get that, but are you comparing apples to apples?...
A such as a punch to the ribs that drops your opponent to his knees vs a throw that lands him flat on his back with you in full control on top of him.

Or a jab that gets through vs a huge throw like above?

I'd prefer a perfectly executing a lateral throw over landing a jab. I'd also prefer a right hook that's lights out over a throw which I forced and didn't maintain any advantage.

I hate to say it, but I don't genuinely have a preference as to which way I'd rather "win." I'd prefer to beat a practitioner at their own game...

I'd rather score an ippon on a good judoka than KO him with a punch.

I'd rather KO a good boxer with a perfect punch combo than choke him out.

I'd rather get a good BJJer to tap than to KO him with a kick.

Day in and day out, I'd rather train striking. I wrestled and coached wrestling on the mat for years. It gets to be a real grind. I don't get that feeling striking. No idea why.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A such as a punch to the ribs that drops your opponent to his knees vs a throw that lands him flat on his back with you in full control on top of him.

I'd prefer a perfectly executing a lateral throw over landing a jab. I'd also prefer a right hook that's lights out over a throw which I forced and didn't maintain any advantage.

I hate to say it, but I don't genuinely have a preference as to which way I'd rather "win." I'd prefer to beat a practitioner at their own game...

Day in and day out, I'd rather train striking. I wrestled and coached wrestling on the mat for years. It gets to be a real grind. I don't get that feeling striking. No idea why.

Yeah, I'm comparing apples to apples, but I do see your point. The Karate system I trained had a lot of grappling in it. In sparring we were allowed to throw, sweep, takedown, choke, lock, etc. The same person I would get a grappling technique on comparable to a striking technique, I enjoyed executing the grappling technique more. I felt the same thing when I executed and finished a grappling technique in BJJ as well.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm with home. I don't get much satisfaction from hitting someone hard. A good, solid throw is another matter entirely.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't get much satisfaction from hitting someone hard. A good, solid throw is another matter entirely.
When I

- throw my wife over my head, she will still love me next day.
- punch my wife on her nose, she will kill me when I sleep.

The striking art always has this problem.

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a strong preference for striking solutions as I am much more skilled as a striker than a grappler. That being said, I think that locking and throwing are a lot more versatile and offer more means to end an encounter without seriously injuring the opponent.

It may say something bad about me but there is something really satisfying about landing a really hard right cross that makes the other guy talk to dead relatives for a few moments. The cool smack/thud noise, the "oof" sound they make, the look of shock...

Probably why I've stuck with Shotokan, Boxing, and Kenpo so long. Never quite enjoyed making someone tap as much.

Mark

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a strong preference for striking solutions as I am much more skilled as a striker than a grappler. That being said, I think that locking and throwing are a lot more versatile and offer more means to end an encounter without seriously injuring the opponent.

It may say something bad about me but there is something really satisfying about landing a really hard right cross that makes the other guy talk to dead relatives for a few moments. The cool smack/thud noise, the "oof" sound they make, the look of shock...

Probably why I've stuck with Shotokan, Boxing, and Kenpo so long. Never quite enjoyed making someone tap as much.

Mark
I don't know that it says anything bad about you. I do know it makes you different from me in ways that would make sparring and swapping techniques interesting.

Kababayan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Striking. I was a sport-karate guy in the 90's and began training with the Gracies when they came to Southern California. I found grappling to be dull and stopped after a while. I began training bjj again probably 4 or 5 times over the past 20 years but stopped after a few months because I just don't enjoy it. Looking back, a part of me wishes I had stuck with it so that I could have earned a Black Belt from one of the early Gracies, but I just never enjoyed the art. I really want to enjoy it, but just don't.

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think grappling can be fun, but the thought of a stand up fight can really get my blood boiling. Been hurt more grappling. I haven't seemed to mind a strike as much. But I'm not all that good at grappling. Much better on my feet. My second point is that I don't want to be grappling close in a real fight situation.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I love both. My striking is usually to set up for grappling.
Me too. I just want to get my opponent into a "head lock" and then ask him, "Can we stop now and have peace?" There is no need to break your opponent's nose, or break his ribs. There is a civilized way to solve the conflict.

Chang_head_lock.jpg

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
people in general tend to gain more enjoyment from the things they are good at, so in a large part you are asking which of the two they are better at as that will most likely be,what they enjoy most.
personally i don't like extended rolling around on the floor with a smelly fat bloke, as apart from the hygiene issue the fat bloke tends to beat me,

81U9cmBK8PL._SX355_.jpg

Since Judo often begins with a hug I may as well smell nice.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

To me, there isn't anything as much fun as choking out boxers. Except for maybe sweeping them.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
as long as i am winning i dont care , strike, kick , throw , whatever.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To me, there isn't anything as much fun as choking out boxers. Except for maybe sweeping them.
It would be fun for me too. But I'd be so much happier KOing a boxer with a devastating combo than choking him out. Why? I beat him at his own game and he couldn't cry and say I wouldn't have beaten him if I didn't do something he didn't know how to defend. There'd be no comeback.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Both to

1. take a boxer down while smash his head, and
2. knock out a wrestler,

can be effective. The difference is 2 is always considered as "use too much force", while 1 can be considered as "accident".

"Dear judge, he used BJJ "pull guard" to drag me down, the back of his head hit on the ground and died. It was an accident. I didn't do anything."

Latest Discussions