Striking art strategy

Diagen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Bottom line is that being aroused and in the mood increases testosterone. If you can't "get in the mood" the hormones don't really happen.
Same with fighting. If you're not "in the mood" to fight then the hormones don't get produced and circulated. If you don't like training, you won't recover as well or do as well when you train.
On the flip side, your willpower could be high and you "get in the mood" whether you like it or not by an act of willpower. This means you "get in the mood" to train when you don't want to train. You get in the mood to fight when you don't want to fight. In this way the hormonal, neurological, et cetera changes needed/ desired occur and it gets done.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bottom line is that being aroused and in the mood increases testosterone. If you can't "get in the mood" the hormones don't really happen.
That is a chicken or egg question.

Does being aroused and in the mood cause the T or does T levels cause arousal and the mood.....I'm not sure if there has been a definitive scientific finding.

Same with fighting. If you're not "in the mood" to fight then the hormones don't get produced and circulated

Not sure about that. In a fight, the body releases cortisol due to its fight or flight response whether you are in the mood or not.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
First of all, put a button on the end of your foil. This site is not to duel to draw blood. You have posted some things that make sense, but it's hard to get past your aggressive and dogmatic approach. Chill.
This means you "get in the mood" to train when you don't want to train.
I'm hardly ever in the mood to train in gym or dojo. But once I get there and start working out, the mood comes upon me. The hard part, the discipline, is getting in the car and driving there. I think it's the same for fighting. I don't have a desire to fight, but I do have a (strong) desire to survive with as little damage as possible. So, for me, actually being in the situation puts me in the mood and I'm "all in." Afterall, what's the alternative? You do what you must - you don't have to like it.

Maybe, when I was younger, it was different. Age changes perspective - I was always in the mood for just about anything. Now, I don't seek things out - I just deal with them.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Now, I don't seek things out - I just deal with them.
This is me. I'm rarely in mood to do something. Even as a youth I didn't look at it as being in the mood to train. Training hard was just part of the package. The only time I'm truly "not in the mood" for training is when I have a hard time clearing my mind or when I over train. I know if I can't get my focus, then I'll end up with energy. So If I don't get my focus withing 10 minutes of starting, then I won't train, or I'll too something that is less likely to have a negative impact when I have those "low energy, I don't want to do much" days.

Like I don't feel like walking tonight, but I know that once I start, I'll have the drive to see it through because I don't like to quiet or "give up" on my training. 2 days ago I started using 8lbs dumbbells on my walk doing a shoeshine like drill while walking. I do it for about 10 yards and then back to slow bicep curls. I told my wife the weights were getting heavy. She offered to let me use her staff while she carried the weights for me. I told her "No, once I start, I need to see it through." I'm not thinking about the workout. I'm thinking about seeing it through, and that's what keeps me in the workout. Everyone has their own magic for working out when they don't want to. Mine had nothing to do with biology. and chemical responses, nor aggression.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know a hell of a lot more than you. You basic ignorance is astounding. If you can't figure it out I'll break it down.
You would claim that one can by will create nerve impulses right? Right. But that's where it ends for you right? By will, you can do nothing more than create nerve impulses. In a sense you are nothing but nerve impulses. Is this what you believe? Do you think your only volition is nerve impulses? I need to set the ground here so let's start with this.
Nerve impulses are literally everything we do.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should probably pop your **** real quick: Cortisol is a hormone. Stress hormone. Difficult to exert yourself without it.
You should probably know how a good mood, laughter, that sort of thing increases anabolic hormones too, right? You're well versed in the literature so you've probably seen studies on that. Right?
Nope. Because you don't read ****.
Did you have a point in any of that? Because that's all pretty easy knowledge. The damage from stress mostly comes from prolonged stress, and/or frequent stress incidences. The issues come from two major points:
  1. Our stress reactions are mostly meant for dealing with short-term stressors (tiger nearby, need to survive). Today, we deal with longer-term stressors (worry about paying bills, whatever). That long-term exposure to stress hormones has documented negative impacts on major systems in the body. And making yourself fearful over a long period of time would certainly trigger these same problems.
  2. Every time we experience a stress event, there's a recovery process that follows it. This process works pretty well for dealing with post-stress issues from what the system evovled for. But when it's triggered over and over (as modern lives often do), this repeated exposure to the chemical recovery period also becomes detrimental.
So, yeah, cortisol is a stress hormone. Too much of it places unhealthy stress on the cardio system, raises threat response and aggression (not in any way that should be considered useful - it just makes people more likely to be argumentative and over-reactive), and makes the body better at storing fat, especially around the middle.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So, yeah, cortisol is a stress hormone. Too much of it places unhealthy stress on the cardio system, raises threat response and aggression (not in any way that should be considered useful - it just makes people more likely to be argumentative and over-reactive), and makes the body better at storing fat, especially around the middle.
I told my wife my belly fat isn't from eating too many pies - thanks for backing me up!

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

And elevated cortisol levels can decrease testerone.

Diagen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That is a chicken or egg question.

Does being aroused and in the mood cause the T or does T levels cause arousal and the mood.....I'm not sure if there has been a definitive scientific finding.

Not sure about that. In a fight, the body releases cortisol due to its fight or flight response whether you are in the mood or not.
There is definitive evidence. Framing it as a chicken or egg situation is just borrowing the obtuseness of the uninformed. Do the thinking for yourself: think about something arousing, possibly a past arousing sort of thing and your T will go up. Try to and become better at or succeed in socially dominating and your T will go up.

There is no study "refuting" the role of your own consciousness. It's your ghost-like soul, will, spirit, and so on. It's mysterious. There's no denying it though.

Scientists are often people with egos like you and I, and want power and status. They want people to go to THEM and ask THEM how to do something, what's real, what isn't, and so on. Never trust someone's motives because of their position in society haha. Doesn't matter if a priest is 'supposed' to be good, he still fiddles the choir boy.

I've never taken steroids but I understand the feeling of being more socially dominant, and of arousal. I know the feeling of "dominating" a workout vs just going through mechanical motions. I know the difference between putting emotion, will, spirit, mind, effort, DOMINANCE into something like a workout vs going through the motions.

Cortisol is a hormone and you can think of any stressful situation and you will release cortisol. You release cortisol just to wake up in the morning. Think of fighting to the death and you will release noripenephrine (adrenaline) and cortisol no problem. These are hormones. Glands secrete them.
This is the simplest way I can get you guys to understand that hormonal control is tied to your own volition and living, breathing, consciousness.

Diagen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
First of all, put a button on the end of your foil. This site is not to duel to draw blood. You have posted some things that make sense, but it's hard to get past your aggressive and dogmatic approach. Chill.

I'm hardly ever in the mood to train in gym or dojo. But once I get there and start working out, the mood comes upon me. The hard part, the discipline, is getting in the car and driving there. I think it's the same for fighting. I don't have a desire to fight, but I do have a (strong) desire to survive with as little damage as possible. So, for me, actually being in the situation puts me in the mood and I'm "all in." Afterall, what's the alternative? You do what you must - you don't have to like it.

Maybe, when I was younger, it was different. Age changes perspective - I was always in the mood for just about anything. Now, I don't seek things out - I just deal with them.
There's nothing dogmatic about the approach, that's an ironic statement.

As for the second paragraph: similar point. Your hormones aren't telling you to get up and go to the gym but you go there anyway and then they "obey" so to speak.
This is me. I'm rarely in mood to do something. Even as a youth I didn't look at it as being in the mood to train. Training hard was just part of the package. The only time I'm truly "not in the mood" for training is when I have a hard time clearing my mind or when I over train. I know if I can't get my focus, then I'll end up with energy. So If I don't get my focus withing 10 minutes of starting, then I won't train, or I'll too something that is less likely to have a negative impact when I have those "low energy, I don't want to do much" days.

Like I don't feel like walking tonight, but I know that once I start, I'll have the drive to see it through because I don't like to quiet or "give up" on my training. 2 days ago I started using 8lbs dumbbells on my walk doing a shoeshine like drill while walking. I do it for about 10 yards and then back to slow bicep curls. I told my wife the weights were getting heavy. She offered to let me use her staff while she carried the weights for me. I told her "No, once I start, I need to see it through." I'm not thinking about the workout. I'm thinking about seeing it through, and that's what keeps me in the workout. Everyone has their own magic for working out when they don't want to. Mine had nothing to do with biology. and chemical responses, nor aggression.

"Mine had nothing to do with biology, chemical responses, nor aggression." True. It's will. Some spirit. A bit of emotion perhaps.

If I'm overly aggressive it's because I see science becoming the next priesthood.
Nerve impulses are literally everything we do.
Entirely wrong. They're just nerves. It's a few chemicals and electrical pulses. Nothing about it is consciousness. Your computer isn't conscious in the least -- every bit of cohesion is thanks to painstaking control and structure exerted by the programmers and hardware manufacturers.
It doesn't matter how complex of a biological machine you are. It has nothing to do with the creation of consciousness or being alive. Even worms are basically conscious and they have simple nervous systems. The nervous system including the body is about control and power - any amount of control and power does not give rise to consciousness. That is the most nihilistic defecation upon life you can imagine.

Muscles evolved between large and small intestine.

Mechanical stress differences in development leading to morphological difference such as bone length, tissue thickness, 3D shape (developmental plasticity).

And Wim Hof? He can get anyone to quickly adapt to freezing and low oxygen environments with "mental focus" and breathing.

Tum-mo? Heating one's body through meditation?

And the ace in the hole that I've been saving:
women imaging sex experience raised Testosterone.

Did you have a point in any of that? Because that's all pretty easy knowledge. The damage from stress mostly comes from prolonged stress, and/or frequent stress incidences. The issues come from two major points:
  1. Our stress reactions are mostly meant for dealing with short-term stressors (tiger nearby, need to survive). Today, we deal with longer-term stressors (worry about paying bills, whatever). That long-term exposure to stress hormones has documented negative impacts on major systems in the body. And making yourself fearful over a long period of time would certainly trigger these same problems.
  2. Every time we experience a stress event, there's a recovery process that follows it. This process works pretty well for dealing with post-stress issues from what the system evovled for. But when it's triggered over and over (as modern lives often do), this repeated exposure to the chemical recovery period also becomes detrimental.
Haha the point is you were contentious about people using volition to affect androgens. That one can by volition affect any hormone, MULTIPLE hormones, naturally should lead one to conclude that all hormones are affected by one's will, mind, spirit, emotion, et cetera. It's a part of your body. Nothing is "off limits" to your personal power within your own body. That's a fact. To think otherwise is dull.

You are a living being and one has power over their own body. Some less, others more. That's how it is.

Last edited:

Diagen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I should clarify that Testosterone raises strategic social behavior. Strong on ultimatum but with fair deals. Deferring to a higher rank when one is low ranked. The presence of the hormone is found in those with higher strategic social behavior.

Bottom LINE: BOTTOM LINE: Be perceptive and think for yourself. Lot of crap "knowledge" and ignorance. Human being is a whole, alive. It is conscious. This is primary. Not hormones or whatever crap.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do the thinking for yourself: think about something arousing, possibly a past arousing sort of thing and your T will go up. Try to and become better at or succeed in socially dominating and your T will go up.
How do you know? Have you had your testosterone levels measured before and after this mind experiment? Or are you just guessing, based on what you "feel"?

Diagen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
How do you know? Have you had your testosterone levels measured before and after this mind experiment? Or are you just guessing, based on what you "feel"?
This is how I know you didn't read my posts. It suggests the amount of effort you put in when something is abrasive and aggressive. VERY LOW.

no effort man. put in more effort.

It's about 2 - 3 posts up from yours. Women produce testosterone when thinking of arousing situations. If I find a good one on men I can post that too but there's no point.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"Mine had nothing to do with biology, chemical responses, nor aggression." True. It's will. Some spirit. A bit of emotion perhaps.

If I'm overly aggressive it's because I see science becoming the next priesthood.
I can understand that. Science is just another way to try to understand things. I'm not thinking this with a belittlement tone. It's very hard to get tone of someones thoughts through type, without telling a story. As far as priesthood, well not sure about the U.S., were it seems that there is an extraordinary amount of people who are against science and their numbers seems to be growing or maybe the remaining few are just getting louder.

I'm not worried about it as science has always had a rough time making friends. I think the next priesthood is going to be the Con Man. I'm expecting this see more of this activity occur as many run away from science. I think con men /women have seen just how easy it is to manipulate people. So get ready to hear all new stories of that ha ha ha.

Diagen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I can understand that. Science is just another way to try to understand things. I'm not thinking this with a belittlement tone. It's very hard to get tone of someones thoughts through type, without telling a story. As far as priesthood, well not sure about the U.S., were it seems that there is an extraordinary amount of people who are against science and their numbers seems to be growing or maybe the remaining few are just getting louder.

I'm not worried about it as science has always had a rough time making friends. I think the next priesthood is going to be the Con Man. I'm expecting this see more of this activity occur as many run away from science. I think con men /women have seen just how easy it is to manipulate people. So get ready to hear all new stories of that ha ha ha.
Very true. Well put - conmen are the next threat. Everyone needs more real critical thinking. I take issue with people "using" science because it's easy to con with it. Then you can get organizations of hacks using science to convince people to do **** their way and give them money for the great "research" they do. So much low quality or simply basic research that goes on with big conclusions, it's sensationalist.

Diagen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sometimes the con takes your will, your spirit, your world view, your motivation, your roots, your culture, your people, your heart and mind away. It can be easy too. People don't protect themselves.

Latest Discussions