Jab/cross, hook, uppercut, overhand.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not all TMA systems have jab/cross, hook, uppercut, overhand. But nobody can stop you from training it. It's not difficult to find a training partner to train these kind of "3 dimensional punching skill".

For example:

- You have right side forward, your opponent has left side forward, a mirror stance.
- You throw a right jab. your opponent uses left leading arm to block it outside in (to your left).
- You change your right jab into a right hook to his head. Your opponent uses left leading arm to block it from inside out (to your right).
- Your right hook change into a downward parry, pull his left arm away, and left uppercut to his chin. Your opponent leans his head back to dodge your uppercut.
- You then step in and use your right overhand to hit on top of his head.

Your 4 punches combo cover all 3 dimension as

- straight,
- horizontal,
- vertical upward, and
- vertical downward.

It doesn't matter which MA style that you may come from, you can create many partner drills like this.

Will it be more fun to train your punching skill this way?

Your thought?

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You probably have to cross their body to go from the uppercut to the overhand which is a bit dangerous.

Throwing the body shot first is generally a bit safer.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You probably have to cross their body to go from the uppercut to the overhand which is a bit dangerous.

Throwing the body shot first is generally a bit safer.
When you throw your left uppercut, your right arm still control his left arm. He only has right arm that can punch you. When that happen, your left arm should be able to take care of that. Of course when you release your right arm control, and right overhook, your opponent's left arm will be free and counter you. But that window is very small.

https://i.postimg.cc/Wzdb3H3Y/my-jab-hook-uppercut.gif

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
When you throw your left uppercut, your right arm still control his left arm. He only has right arm that can punch you. When that happen, your left arm should be able to take care of that. Of course when you release your right arm control, and right overhook, your opponent's left arm will be free and counter you. But that window is very small.

https://i.postimg.cc/Wzdb3H3Y/my-jab-hook-uppercut.gif

In poker the biggest losses you take are when you have the best hands.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In poker the biggest losses you take are when you have the best hands.
Of course after the left uppercut, a right uppercut, or a right hook can be a good follow up too. The retraction of the left uppercut can help the beginning of the right overhand (both are part of the same circle).

When you create a partner drill, your partner drill should contain the least amount of risk. IMO, the risk of this drill has been reduced to the minimum.

It's just a drill. It's not a test/fight.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
But when you create a partner drill, your partner drill should contain the least amount of risk. IMO, I have reduced the risk to the minimum.

Of course after the left uppercut, a right uppercut, or a right hook can be a good follow up too. IMO, the retraction of the left uppercut can help the beginning of the right overhand (both are part of the same circle).

It's a drill. It's not a test/fight.

Ok. Bear with me. Gun kata

Is a fictional excuse to throw around some John Woo style gun fights.

But the concept is very true in boxing. There are places you can go that are safe and places you can go that are less safe. And as a rule of thumb you are constantly moving towards the safer places because that statistically raises your chances of hitting them and not being hit yourself.

And so as a drill. You are better off practising moving to these positions regardless as to whether you are going to get free shots or not. Just because you have a higher mechanical advantage.

Eg. Lomenchenco.

Now you can break these rules but you generally need some awesome reason for doing it. Which is not. Hopefully you are hitting the guy so hard he can't defend.( unless you have some high percentage method if achieving that..)

Eg. Prince naseem.

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ok. Bear with me. Gun kata
Without using drills, how do you train your principles?

You can use this drill to train many important principles.

1. Use fake punch to lead your opponent to block into the thin air.
2. Borrow opponent's force to attack the opening you have just created.
3. Pull your opponent arm away from your striking path.
4. Combine the end of your uppercut with the beginning of your overhand.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You can use this drill to train many important principles.

1. Use fake punch to lead your opponent to block into the thin air.
2. Borrow opponent's force to attack the opening you have just created.
3. Pull your opponent arm away from your striking path.
4. Combine the end of your uppercut with the beginning of your overhand.

Do you have a video of this drill?

I mean you might be doing it in some sort of sensible way that I am missing.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you have a video of this drill?

I mean you might be doing it in some sort of sensible way that I am missing.
I had just included this clip in my previous post in this thread.

Since overhand is not in this clip, 4. Combine the end of your uppercut with the beginning of your overhand cannot be seen in this clip.

https://i.postimg.cc/Wzdb3H3Y/my-jab-hook-

Latest Discussions