What do you think about this punching combo?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Both you and your opponent have right side forward.

1. You throw a jab. Your opponent block with his leading right arm.
2. You pull his right arm (on the wrist) and punch your left cross above his right arm and toward his face. Your opponent block with his left hand.
3. You let go your right grip and right punch his chest below his left arm.

The key of this combo is the arm pulling after the 1st jab. Without that pulling, your opponent's respond cannot be predicted.

What do you think about this combo?

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What is your ideal footwork for this scenario?

I cannot see myself able to generate enough power delivered to this target area consistently within the range I'm seeing, and then the variables in that range and angle that will happen depending on the pulling motions and their reactions.

I'm not sure it's worth it unless I can maybe control this range and angle consistently with footwork to adjust for however they end up.
So what sort of footwork??

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The issue is (apart from catching the arm in the first place)

You are trying to manipulate his bent in tight arm with your outstretched arm.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What is your ideal footwork for this scenario?

I cannot see myself able to generate enough power delivered to this target area consistently within the range I'm seeing, and then the variables in that range and angle that will happen depending on the pulling motions and their reactions.

I'm not sure it's worth it unless I can maybe control this range and angle consistently with footwork to adjust for however they end up.
So what sort of footwork??

Force is generated by a closelining effect. If I got him somehow going forwards I would be able to run him in to my fist.

And that would suck.

I assume the pull is thumb down so it would look like a short overhand.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Force is generated by a closelining effect. If I got him somehow going forwards I would be able to run him in to my fist.

And that would suck.
Yes, but the angle and distance variables are too great. I would need a way to control this more.

It could also mean upping my arm pulling/arm dragging game. I'm not sure.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, but the angle and distance variables are too great. I would need a way to control this more.

It could also mean upping my arm pulling/arm dragging game. I'm not sure.

Yeah. Still not sure how you actually get the arm drag off that parry.

But otherwise for me footwork would be a dramatic step to the right with a huge lean. Then pivot.

Because we sill have to deal with his left hand at some point.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
After your jab, you have to pull your hand back any way. Whether you will pull back with empty hand, or pull back with something (your opponent's arm), it's the same move. Will it be better to pull back with something instead of to pull back with empty hand?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Both you and your opponent have right side forward.

1. You throw a jab. Your opponent block with his leading right arm.
2. You pull his right arm (on the wrist) and punch your left cross above his right arm and toward his face. Your opponent block with his left hand.
3. You let go your right grip and right punch his chest below his left arm.

The key of this combo is the arm pulling after the 1st jab. Without that pulling, your opponent's respond cannot be predicted.

What do you think about this combo?
I think parrying a jab with the lead hand opens you up for a rear cross or hook, so if that jab you just parried is part of a 1,2 you are getting clocked.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think parrying a jab with the lead hand opens you up for a rear cross or hook, so if that jab you just parried is part of a 1,2 you are getting clocked.
Not if you pull your opponent's leading right arm to your right (his left). This will cause your opponent's body to spin to his left, and he will have difficulty to punch out his left hand (to punch out his left hand, his body needs to spin to his right).

May be you are talking about your opponent parries your jab. But that can happen whether or not you use jab, or you use jab, pull.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not if you pull your opponent's leading right arm to your right (his left). This will cause your opponent's body to spin to his left, and he will have difficulty to punch out his left hand (to punch out his left hand, his body needs to spin to his right).

May be you are talking about your opponent parries your jab. But that can happen whether or not you use jab, or you use jab, pull.
So catching a jab and using it to lever a guy?

Not to belittle your point, but you would need to be faster than the other guy by orders of magnitude, and have luck on your side.

There's generally very little time to react to a punch, especially the fastest of them. Trying to catch it at the expense of leaving yourself wide open for the rear hand shot that's probably coming on the next half beat seems pretty risky to me.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've blocked a lot of jabs in my day. Haven't had that happen to me yet.

But to give the devil his due, throughout my teaching career I've always said in class while we were throwing punches or blocks "not to leave that hand out!" It was always followed by "The Kung Fu guys will getcha, or the Wing Chun guys will getcha!"

This came about from training with Kung Fuers and Wing Chunners. Sometimes they gave me fits.

My students heard that hundreds of times. Kung Fu was well known, it was quite popular back then, but I'm sure some of my beginner students didn't know what a Wing Chun guy was (yet), but they knew that if they "dangled and arm" as we used to call it, that arm would get shoved up their you know what.

I'll continue to block jabs the way I do. Best of luck to anyone grabbing my hand or arm. I'm sure the chips will fall as they may.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not to catch a punch, But to catch a block. If works for inside out block and won't work for outside in block.
Wait, catch a block? So if he is using a karate block, that means I must be striking, right?

So, punch, wait for him to block, change direction and catch the block /inside to outside/( exposing my face to a rear hand shot), then use his arm to lever him off balance?

That seems the like quite the tall order for us normal, non superpowered humans.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wait, catch a block? So if he is using a karate block, that means I must be striking, right?

So, punch, wait for him to block, change direction and catch the block /inside to outside/( exposing my face to a rear hand shot), then use his arm to lever him off balance?

That seems the like quite the tall order for us normal, non superpowered humans.
After your punch (such as a jab), your hand will need to come back right? You may catch something on the way back, or you may not.

Conservative way of thinking - If you don't catch anything, that will be fine. If you can catch something, that will be something extra.
Aggressive way of thinking - you try to create the maximum chance to catch anything.

Last edited:

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
After your punch (such as a jab), your hand will need to come back right? You may catch something on the way back, or you may not.

Conservative way of thinking - If you don't catch anything, that will be fine. If you can catch something, that will be something extra.
Aggressive way of thinking - you try to create the maximum chance to catch anything.
Meh. Sure why not.

Still seems pretty low percentage. If guy likes to throw out long blocks when I move it seems like it would be easier to just punch his face off.

Latest Discussions